Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8 Core intel atom and tri-core cpus? I never thought...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

8 Core intel atom and tri-core cpus? I never thought...

Well I know these have been out for a rather lengthy while. But i recently went on a hosting website and saw they had 3 core AMD processors, and this 8 core intel atom:
http://ark.intel.com/products/77988/Intel-Atom-Processor-C2758-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz

What on earth... Intel actually made an 8 core ATOM? That's got the same amount of cores as my I7-5960X!

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ummmh... Cool story?

• Yes, they have been around for a while...

Has the same number of cores; doesn't mean it performs at a similar level!

• I know but why, why would anyone want a crappy 8 core intel atom ;_;

@ECNetworks said:
    I know but why, why would anyone want a crappy 8 core intel atom ;_;

Check the power it needs to run

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @ECNetworks said:
    I know but why, why would anyone want a crappy 8 core intel atom ;_;

Intel Atom c2750 is good. I am using one.

• AMD has made them for some time. some would even argue the 6 core amd FX series cpu's are actually 3 real cores (although they call them modules)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

said: they had 3 core AMD processors

3-core CPUs are simple to explain, those are 4-core ones with one having turned out to be defective (and disabled) in factory tests. Also on some motherboards you can enable it at your own risk, and have some degree of chance of it working just fine. (One explanation is that sometimes they run out of semi-defective CPUs, and have to mark fully working ones as 3-core, to satisfy contracted demands).

• LeeLee Veteran

@netomx said:

This, up to a quarter of the power consumption of others.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @rm_ said:
    3-core CPUs are simple to explain, those are 4-core ones with one having turned out to be defective (and disabled) in factory tests. Also on some motherboards you can enable it at your own risk, and have some degree of chance of it working just fine. (One explanation is that sometimes they run out of semi-defective CPUs, and have to mark fully working ones as 3-core, to satisfy contracted demands).

I had one of them, overclocked nicely too ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Ah. I see. the AMD FX 8350 8 core (module) processor uses an enormous 125watt unoverclocked when the 8 core atom only uses 20 or so watts. Sorry. Didn't realise this.

• @netomx said:

And the performance is far better than what you would normally expect from the "old Atoms". I also have two c2750 and those little boxes ROCK.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Seems impressive I might have to try it myself.

• Atom C2758 is a pretty nice little machine, you'd be surprised.

• By the looks of things I could probably get a small decent workstation running on a small 600 watt power supply with that thing. could go well with 16GB of ram and a 500GB-1TB SSD. (I never use HDDs)

ECNetworks said: small 600 watt power

why 600?!

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Well, can just say they are here since a year plus. There had been buzz here as well regarding these..

Looks like you have missed the recent, actually more than few months of LET discussions and also regarding Online.net plan (They offer cheap Dedi based on such processors)...

• @netomx I always use a GPU in my machines (750 TI and over) workstation or not. so I tend to like the use of a 600watt or over PSU and i might overclock the processor if i can.

@Mikeln I'm new to lowendtalk, and i don't usually look at "lowend" hardware.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited January 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    AMD has made them for some time. some would even argue the 6 core amd FX series cpu's are actually 3 real cores (although they call them modules)

Every two physical core of AMD's FX series shares one single FPU(Floating point unit), that's why some of them will argue and say that it has half of its reported core count.

what @rm_ said are valid during the AMD AM2+/AM3 era(phenom, phenom II and etc) but not later on as the defective die gets cut instead of logically disabled.

• ECNetworks said: @Mikeln I'm new to lowendtalk, and i don't usually look at "lowend" hardware.

Better get moving on the lowend hardware! Ton's of it about here and welcome!

• @MSPNick I prefer highend hardware ;_; Im a gloating fat prick xD. Although i will use "lowend" hardware if it's worth the price, and that atom looks more highend then lowend!

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited January 2015

@ECNetworks said:
    MSPNick I prefer highend hardware ;_; Im a gloating fat prick xD. Although i will use "lowend" hardware if it's worth the price, and that atom looks more highend then lowend!

I have a few of them if you want to buy one, can get them up within the next hour... it does have 61 IP's.

• Thanks @MSPNick Ill order one from ebay so its OK. Ill have to look into motherboards etc.

• @ECNetworks said:
    Ill have to look into motherboards etc.

They are integrated CPUs.

• @Microlinux Oh, so Im guessing i buy the whole system then?

• @ECNetworks said:
    Microlinux Oh, so Im guessing i buy the whole system then?

You can. Should be able to get the MB/CPU combo by itself, too.

• @Microlinux alright ill look into it.

• Should be able to get the MB/CPU combo by itself, too.

On Avoton? No, these are not available as CPU/MB combination.

Thanked by 1george
  • It have 3929 PassMark compare to Phenom II X3 B77 3276 PassMark
    This could be good for energy saver CPU

• @William said:
    On Avoton? No, these are not available as CPU/MB combination.

They are on Newegg.

• I still wouldn't think an 8 core monster like that, of which when overclocked could possibly outrun the I7-4770k, (maybe!) if you have good enough cooling, would be classed as lowend O.O