Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended CPU for multiple video transcoding streams - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended CPU for multiple video transcoding streams

124»

Comments

• @netomx said:
    Or share it! I am looking for a Plex server, too.

Are you thinking to split it into 2 VMs or literally share a Plex server?

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited January 2015

Plex transcoding requires around 2000 passmark scores per stream. For 3-5 streams, you would need a i5 or e3. I say 2000 because your source of video is like not consistent (avi, mkv, mp4 etc).

By the way, Plex only transcode when it can not stream directly. Another thing to keep in mind is that EU -> US network is not always in full capacity, the downlink speed varies regardless of latency with your ISP and their peering.

Source

Very roughly speaking, for a single full-transcode of a video, the following PassMark scores are a good guideline for a requirement:

1080p/10Mbps: 2000 PassMark

720p/4Mbps: 1500 PassMark

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @Caveman122 said:
    Plex transcoding requires around 2000 passmark scores per stream. For 3-5 streams, you would need a i5 or e3. I say 2000 because your source of video is like not consistent (avi, mkv, mp4 etc).

By the way, Plex only transcode when it can not stream directly. Another thing to keep in mind is that EU -> US network is not always in full capacity, and regardless of latency, the downlink speed varies with your ISP and their peering.

Thanks guy, useful info there, definitely going i5/i7 now I think.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Are you thinking to split it into 2 VMs or literally share a Plex server?

W/e. But thinking about that, I may mount it locally