Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended CPU for multiple video transcoding streams - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended CPU for multiple video transcoding streams

Comments

• So, I need to do a bit more testing, but it looks like an i5 or similar will do the job nicely; other than waiting for a KS-3, are there any other options for around £20/month?

• @Nekki said:
    So, I need to do a bit more testing, but it looks like an i5 or similar will do the job nicely; other than waiting for a KS-3, are there any other options for around £20/month?

Do you have a desired location?

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

@Nekki said:
    So, I need to do a bit more testing, but it looks like an i5 or similar will do the job nicely; other than waiting for a KS-3, are there any other options for around £20/month?

Seflow has one...

Intel i5 2500 Promo! 8192 MB(max32GB) 500GB € 99

€ 0 Promo! Customize @€25

If you want RAID/2nd Disk it jumps to €30

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Another angle:

I'm not in that movie stuff but from what little I do occasionally at home I have a tip: Compile the software you'll use for transcoding yourself (rather than using a package) and optimize the config for whatevery CPU you gonna use. You'll see considerable performance gains.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • rmlhhd said: Do you have a desired location?

Western Europe preferably, the closer to the UK the better.

bsdguy said: I'm not in that movie stuff but from what little I do occasionally at home I have a tip: Compile the software you'll use for transcoding yourself (rather than using a package) and optimize the config for whatevery CPU you gonna use. You'll see considerable performance gains.

Not viable for this situation, it has to be Plex to make this work.

wych said: Seflow has one...

Hmmm, for some reason Seflow rings (personal) alarm bells with me, will have to investigate.

• wychwych Member
    edited January 2015

@Nekki said:
    Hmmm, for some reason Seflow rings (personal) alarm bells with me, will have to investigate.

They are a tad mysterious. I wasn't sure if Italy was too far away for you either, saw it last night on a hunt for new locations.

• wych said: They are a tad mysterious. I wasn't sure if Italy was too far away for you either, saw it last night on a hunt for new locations ;)

Latency shouldn't be too much of an issue, once the stream is up and running there shouldn't be any impact (I've run direct streams from Russia with no problems), so anywhere in Western Europe should be viable.

• why don't you get a vps? say contabo i was able to run plex and multiple streams on VPS L and VPS XL

• TarZZ92 said:

why don't you get a vps? say contabo i was able to run plex and multiple streams on VPS L and VPS XL

I want to be able to kick the shit out of the CPU 24/7 if required. Also, I'd like a lot of disk space, so I think I'd be in the sort of price range of a budget server by then anyway.

• Dedi is where it's at for a Plex box. I currently use a KS3 (i3 version) and it can handle one fully transcoded stream... sometimes.. I've been smarter about what source material I download to it and the Plex settings of the device I'm streaming to.

Gotta make sure you crank up the settings on every player, or a 1080p -> 720p transcode will choke the server to death.

• OVH Dedicated servers. 64GB of ram, 4 cores E5-1620v2 @ 3.7GHz for £104/mo. ($160/mo) Good deal if you ask me. You can get SSDs for it to.

• ECNetworks said: OVH Dedicated servers. 64GB of ram, 4 cores E5-1620v2 @ 3.7GHz for £104/mo. ($160/mo) Good deal if you ask me. You can get SSDs for it to.

Erm....£105 a month for a Plex server is, quite frankly, insane.

Thanked by 3TarZZ92 wych netomx
  • Nope. Not for those specs, It's not a PLEX server it's a dedicated machine. You can install plex on it tho.

• Nekki said: Erm....£105 a month for a Plex server is, quite frankly, insane.

and more than £20 as you said above

• Noone said a price limit.

• ECNetworks said: Noone said a price limit.

Not exactly. however @Nekki did say the following

"KS-3, are there any other options for around £20/month?"

• You wont get a nice FAST easy load handling cpu for that disgusting price limit. Atleast aim for a SYS server!

• ECNetworks said: You wont get a nice FAST easy load handling cpu for that disgusting price limit. Atleast aim for a SYS server!

erm.. yes u will :)

online have a nice 8 core server

• god damnit forgot about the monstatom.

For video streaming i reccomend AMD. Try OVHs hosting range :p

• ECNetworks said: For video streaming i reccomend AMD. Try OVHs hosting range :p

LOL ovh fanboy

• Yup :D Love OVH

• ECNetworks said: Nope. Not for those specs, It's not a PLEX server it's a dedicated machine. You can install plex on it tho.

I just want a server for plex, nowt else. No point in buying something monster.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • @ECNetworks said:
    OVH Dedicated servers. 64GB of ram, 4 cores E5-1620v2 @ 3.7GHz for £104/mo. ($160/mo) Good deal if you ask me. You can get SSDs for it to.

lol

"KS-3, are there any other options for around £20/month?"

• @Nekki

Maybe vultr or runabove?

they both from what i heard dont care if you use high cpu 24/7 as long as u dont crypto-mine

• I'm using Vultr for the encoding and plex media server, mounted a kimsufi via sshfs. Works fine :)

• @joodle said:
    I'm using Vultr for the encoding and plex media server, mounted a kimsufi via sshfs. Works fine :)

So I may just as well buy a kimsufi that does it all, right?

• You need a CRAY supercomputer!

• @Nekki said:
    So I may just as well buy a kimsufi that does it all, right?

KS-3 works fine for multiple streams at the same time, I had that for a month, and then I switched to a ks-1 plus vultr.

• @Nekki i5 Kimsufi or i7 from Hetzner - best options for your price.

@joodle's option is pretty solid if you already have like a KS1 or 2 with a good chunk of unused storage, can use a runabove $2.50/mo instance and that'll give you at least 1 full transcoded stream at a time, 2 may be pushing it.

• @mikeyur I could probably agree. Desktop processors are the best for this sort of thing. But for this AMD exceeds intel.
    NEVER USE a KS1. They are pathetic slow and crappy machines that i wouldnt use for a notebook forget a server!