Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech/BuyVM Stock "Promises" - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech/BuyVM Stock "Promises"

2»

Comments

• Perhaps fran, buyvm should buy securedragon and thus joe can manage your servers for you in florida :d

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2012

hah! KuJoe loves his stuff too much to even consider it. We'll just keep looking around. If it comes to that point that i want to consider gorack, i'll have a chat with kujoe to make sure it isn't stepping on his toes at all

A Toronto spot could be interesting but the problem is the transit is mostly good for Canada, not Europe.

Francisco

• I think it obviously would be 'stepping on his toes'. There's definitely a lack of lowend hosts in new york and the few who brand themselves as new york seem to be in new jersey. Also francisco gorack doesn't like irc so that could be quite a big issue if they don't budge.

Doesn't aldryic live currently on the east coast, would it not make sense to put the servers near him?

Thanked by 1tux
  • @Francisco said: I'm liking the offers gorack has

I saw the latest from GoRack, if only they weren't in a Federal building. I was in a Federal building in St Louis before I moved to Quadranet and there are some very odd rules that you will not find at a normal data center that will cause downtime if this that and the other thing should happen.

• @net - I'm in Louisiana actually. Sadly, no reliable DCs in my area

• @Aldryic said: Sadly, no reliable DCs in my area

But Anthony is in FL, and there are several very good DC's to choose from, but the walk might be too much.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited January 2012

I am in Florida also. The only datacenters I know of in Florida is: Gorack, VolumeDrive that rents space from Gorack, and Hostdime. How about going with BurstNET in Scranton, Pennsylvania? How about a more Central location like Chicago, IL with either FDCServers.net or singlehop.com?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@Francisco said: I'm liking the offers gorack has but I don't want to step on @kujoe's toes :)

LoL, don't let that stop you. As long as you're always out of stock we don't mind sharing an awesome data center with you. :P

On a serious note though, if you have any questions about them feel free to drop me a PM and if you do plan on hosting with GoRACK feel free to mention my name. ;)

@miTgiB said: I saw the latest from GoRack, if only they weren't in a Federal building. I was in a Federal building in St Louis before I moved to Quadranet and there are some very odd rules that you will not find at a normal data center that will cause downtime if this that and the other thing should happen.

Luckily the government has very little influence in their network since it's not monitored by them at all. They lease the space and all connections in are through GoRACK. The only issue they've ever had was when the Westborough Baptist Chuchk was hosted in Rackspace because one of the security people heard "rack" and thought GoRACK.

• The west boro baptist church are some vile creatures..

• KuroKuro Member
    edited January 2012

@Francisco maybe look into a North Carolina datacenter? :)

Atlanta, GA would be nice too, don't see too many VPS providers with servers there. Atlanta is one of the big exchange points around here. In fact, I get better pings to Atlanta than I do to servers about 30 or so miles from here within the same state. :)

Edit: I just ran some pings from my XenVZ VPS in the UK to both a VPS I have in Netriplex datacentre (Ashville, NC) and to a test IP I found from ramhost (Atlanta, GA (Colo@ datacentre)) and pings to Atlanta are ~3ms faster than to Ashville o_O

• @KuJoe said: the government has very little influence in their network since it's not monitored by them at all.

Isn't that what AT&T said too?

Seriously though, my dislike for Federal buildings has nothing to do with network connectivity and more to do with power availability during some crisis situations. In St Louis there was a small fire that was zero threat to the datacenter, but because the fire department was called, the power to the building was cut, and the generators were not allowed to operate, not that they couldn't operate, I'm sure they could start just fine, but in that set of circumstances, it was not allowed and caused a prolonged downtime.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Kuro said: North Carolina datacenter

That caro.net datacenter has very good speeds to the UK and good routing here.

• I have just stumbled upon UberBandwidth, which appears to be owned by Netriplex, that is currently offering a 48U cabinet with a dedicated 1Gbps uplink for $999/mo in Ashville, NC :)

• @Infinity said: That caro.net datacenter has very good speeds to the UK and good routing here.

Interesting status page:

http://www.carostatus.com/

Almost three years there between start and a down period.

@Kuro said: I have just stumbled upon UberBandwidth, which appears to be owned by Netriplex, that is currently offering a 48U cabinet with a dedicated 1Gbps uplink for $999/mo in Ashville, NC :)

Something's wrong there. Give a look see at this page:

http://uberbandwidth.com/pricing.asp

For a 1gig line along, they're going to charge $1500 a month. I know what I'm paying for my gig lines and I know what I got quoted for 10gig lines and they're no where in the ballpark. It's got to be shared and even then that's still low when compared to a shared house line.

Their power prices are higher than what I pay.

• @drmike They even offer "Dedcated Servers"....

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@Freek said: They even offer "Dedcated Servers"....

Well I just tried to drop them a note via their contact form. Doesn't recognize a valid email address nor a valid phone number. Massive fail.

edit: And their blog doesn't accept comments.

reedit: And it's running wordpress 3.0.1. :)

again: Screw the note. I'm not jumping through hoops because they don't have a clue.

• Copyright hasn't been updated since 2010 and it's really easy to have it 'auto-updating'.

• @Freek said: it's really easy to have it 'auto-updating'.

Please tell me you;re not using the autoupdater:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/391/is-your-vps-really-safe

• @Infinity said: That caro.net datacenter has very good speeds to the UK and good routing here.

Fran won't move there, I just bought a rack at caro and will hump his if he moves in. Give them the Matt treatment.

• Let's get on topic, now, should we? When will the stock be available? You never give us exact dates. :P

• NickMNickM Member
    edited January 2012

@Jeffrey said: You never give us exact dates.

That's because they don't know the exact date until everything is actually ready. They'd rather say "Maybe in 2 weeks" and then not be ready exactly 2 weeks from now than say "Stock on January 16" and disappoint people if something falls through.

Mid January.

I try not to rack in the same DC's as other companies that I have respect for :P While kujoe gave his blessing i'm still on the fence on what would work best.

Francisco

@NickM said: That's because they don't know the exact date until everything is actually ready. They'd rather say "Maybe in 2 weeks" and then not be ready exactly 2 weeks from now than say "Stock on January 16" and disappoint people if something falls through.

We want everything on the new kernel before we push any sales. Doing sales + migrations/updates is a royal pain in the ass.

Francisco

• How about West Coast BC? So few providers out here! and I can rack servers in exchange for beer.

last quote I had in BC was $6k/m for 100mbit + 20A :P

Francisco

• What is the matter with that? They are doing the best to deliver stocks to NEW customers. They have to handle their current customers too and monitor actual hardware too. Just take a look on their website to see if there is stock or not, that's it? ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: Fran won't move there, I just bought a rack at caro and will hump his if he moves in.

OMG I would so do this if he moved into GoRACK.

On a side note, was anybody following the whole Caro.net lawsuit from Time Warner? Apparently they were being sued for a few million dollars over their bandwidth contract and Caro.net tried to move all of their assets to a different company a few months ago. When the news broke on WHT their lawyers started contacting all of the users who posted in the thread with C&D notices and threatened companies with lawsuits.

• @KuJoe said: On a side note, was anybody following the whole Caro.net lawsuit from Time Warner?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1047714
    I wonder how their doing today. I was paying attention to it in September.

• @drmike Nah, I'm using a dirty Javascript on one of my websites.

• @Jeffrey said: You never give us exact dates.

I don't give exact dates either. There's always something happening and there's no way I can commit to something in the future. I've had to update my schedule twice this week due to blood work changes. (And if you're offended about me mentioning my blood work, well tough it out. It's relevant.)