Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech/BuyVM Stock "Promises"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech/BuyVM Stock "Promises"

DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
edited October 2011 in Providers

So let's count.

1. "Oh we'll have stock Saturday" - somewhat true, but I wouldn't call 20 of the most popular item "having stock"
  2. "Oh we'll have stock Monday @ 1pm" - or not... well, at least they'll have it at 10pm!
  3. "Oh we'll have stock Monday @ 10pm" - nope! bzImage: "im not adding stock in 2 hours >.>"

So they don't deliver what they've promised (twice), and they leave it up to the volunteers on IRC to tell people (well, yeah, bzImage said one line letting people know there wouldn't be 10pm stock, OMG THANKS!).

Makes you wonder what in hell is going on in Fran's mind. This is a really good strategy to keep customers and volunteers. Right?!
Oh, wait, no. It's just idiotic. They don't seem to care in the least for their customers OR their (unofficial) volunteers (like myself) in IRC.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Its been a bit of a zoo for Aldryic. I never said there would be stock tonight, I was just hoping there would be.

We did 2 sales rounds on Saturday, the 2nd round at 10PM had 100 128's, all of our spare KVM stock and 40 each of everything else.

i'm holding a meeting tomorrow with the guys to find out what the real hold up is and if they need me to space things more, but the original goal was to load up stock each day this week until we were sold out.

Sorry,

Francisco

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited October 2011

Francisco said: I never said there would be stock tonight, I was just hoping there would be.

Not what I or anyone else took away from it.

Edit: And if that's the case, perhaps you should say that, instead of having cedr - who is not paid, not compensated, does things because he's nice - relay the promise of stock, relay the delay of stock, relay the cancellation of stock, relay everything. The only people who have said anything about stock:

1. Fran at around midnight (PST) Saturday.
    2. Cedr, relaying from Fran because Fran can't be bothered to say anything for himself. (Not to say Fran's never on, no, he's said 307 lines since 10pm (PST) Saturday; he just doesn't say anything of importance).
    3. bzImage, telling people "what? stock? HAHAHA! no way!"
  • DimeCadmium said: Not what I or anyone else took away from it.

Edit: And if that's the case, perhaps you should say that, instead of having cedr - who is not paid, not compensated, does things because he's nice - relay the promise of stock, relay the delay of stock, relay the cancellation of stock, relay everything. The only people who have said anything about stock:

Fran at around midnight (PST) Saturday.

Cedr, relaying from Fran because Fran can't be bothered to say anything for himself. (Not to say Fran's never on, no, he's said 307 lines since 10pm (PST) Saturday; he just doesn't say anything of importance).
    bzImage, telling people "what? stock? HAHAHA! no way!"

On Saturday I waited until 1:30pm PST and still no KVM stock by then but I had to leave. Of course I didn't get anything in the first round. At night I was randomly checking and wow I saw KVMs available. I have too many OVZs already so would like to try KVM. Only 7 128MB KVMs at that time and right after I placed one order they were all gone (only 2~3 minutes). I even didn't have time to get a 512MB KVM as that one is also hot. I think the 256MB last for quite a long time but I didn't know I could have purchased that first and then upgrade to 512MB.

• maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
    edited October 2011

This happens far too often and I believe more active and detailed communication is something Frantech could really benefit from. People simply get fed up with the constant vague and uninformative responses and, as a result, decide to find alternative providers.

I'll admit, I was on the ball that there was going to be a stock release today and the plan changed with little warning to me.

I've already requested a meeting with all of our staff to go over it and find out what's going on fully with the releases. We've been planning on the storage array but that's nothing crazy.

Francisco

• @Francisco, I'm jumping on that thread to deliver something I believe.

First thing first: I have one of your boxes, and I can easily admit that I like it, I do even enjoy it: it's a good one!

But (yes, there is always a "but"), if I do understand and accept your way to "short time sale", I still can't enjoy/appreciate the way your company(ies) deal with people, with your customers. We don't pay much and we don't deserve the red carpet, that's obvious... You also have to deal with a lot of dumb short-minded scammers, that's understood! But are we all only that?

Next meeting, next time you get a rest with all your people, keep that in mind and try to polish a little bit the way you all deal with us.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited October 2011

TigersWay said: Next meeting, next time you get a rest with all your people, keep that in mind and try to polish a little bit the way you all deal with us.

I completely agree, in fact I griped at him a while back on Twitter and IRC over the "support" given by some of his staff. Predefined messages are not support, Frantech. ;)

• Did anyone actually get the storage plan as advertise in LEB?

• circus said: Did anyone actually get the storage plan as advertise in LEB?

Not this round as far as I can tell.

• Fran said stock. He lied.

circus said: Did anyone actually get the storage plan as advertise in LEB?

We only have 4.25TB worth of space to sell so i'm actually doing the sales of these in private. Our techs on site helping us do some needed maintenance on the box and then we can start picking who's getting storage and who's not.

Francisco

• maxexcloo said: Not this round as far as I can tell.

someguy got it ->

I guest I need to join some kind of secret club ^_^

• circus said: someguy got it ->

I guest I need to join some kind of secret club ^_^

It's a pity I couldn't get them to transfer my old one to you (I cancelled it about a month ago).

Thanked by 1circus
  • circuscircus Member
    edited October 2011

Francisco said: i'm actually doing the sales of these in private

Darn, I've been doing it the wrong way, by keep on refreshing DoesBuyVMHaveStock.com. IMHO you shouldn't advertise it in LEB if it was private sales, just PM/email your candidate directly.

• circus: they didn't realize how "little" space there was, and its not so much candidates as I'm aware as it is people who ask for it (i.e. IRC) are considered.

Also, I wanted to note that I do truly believe BuyVM is a great value, but they... well, don't always plan/communicate so well it seems.

DimeCadmium said: circus: they didn't realize how "little" space there was, and its not so much candidates as I'm aware as it is people who ask for it (i.e. IRC) are considered.

True.

I thought we had about 10TB for sale, not just 4TB.

The storage plans were always a small time thing.

Francisco

• Best thing ever, wannabe-customers. You go Francisco ;)

ztec said: Best thing ever, wannabe-customers. You go Francisco ;)

Dime is one of my IRC helpers so I guess he's just venting his concerns/frustration with the stock timings. Some customers even took afternoons off work so I feel really crappy about that all.

We're a really small staff and we have a very large VM count on hand. Alas, there are many times that we're running around sans a head trying to keep up and we get forgetful/overwhelmed with requests. It's not a good reason to botch timings, but it's the honest truth.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Dime is one of my IRC helpers so I guess he's just venting his concerns/frustration with the stock timings.

Well, more the communication than just the stock timings. Really, as I said, I love the value (and most things, like the predefined usage, I understand - it's hard for a few people to handle as many clients as they have), but it does get annoying to be stuck in the middle with little info. I guess that can be chalked up to the workload as well, but even so.. Dunno, just gets old ;)

• I am dying for a 15/year OpenVZ VPS. When will you get more stock? One of my friend's told me that you would restock in the beginning of 2012.

• I gave up waiting long time ago. Have several hostigation boxes now.

@Jeffrey said: I am dying for a 15/year OpenVZ VPS. When will you get more stock? One of my friend's told me that you would restock in the beginning of 2012.

That's the plan :) We have some nodes idle right now and we're just getting things on our new kernel before we roll forward.

There should be a fair bit and the plan is to have stock each and every month. We're also looking at a possible east coast location but are having a tough time picking a spot.

Francisco

• isnt there enough space in your current colo facility?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: possible east coast location but are having a tough time picking a spot.

Yay, now super fast speeds to the UK :) All I care is that it has good routing. :P

• I have been wanting to get a VPS from them too. But always out of stock.

and I'm also still waiting for my account to be approved. Hopefully it will before they do get more stock.

• @apollo15 said: isnt there enough space in your current colo facility?

I'm sure they have plenty of room. Some people like to have multiple servers, in different parts of the country, for redundancy.

• Also, east coast servers will provide a better ping to Europe

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: Also, east coast servers will provide a better ping to Europe

Indeed that's why I like Hostigation SC.

@gsrdgrdghd said: Also, east coast servers will provide a better ping to Europe

I'm liking the offers gorack has but I don't want to step on @kujoe's toes :)

Francisco

• @Francisco how about Canada? Toronto/Ontario/montreal? I heard some good things about coresite boston.