Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GVH moving out of Amsterdam? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GVH moving out of Amsterdam?

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@kcaj said:
    As you own the IPs, who dealt with the LOA?

We had created the LOA for the reseller to announce the /24 on phoenixnap's network. Whether this was modified I don't know.

Alexander

• Mun said: They are most likely coming back to let because they are not doing well.

While I never used their services, the reviews on LET tells me more than I need to know. I really hope they shift their focus from unnecessary expansions to ensuring what they have lives up to customers' expectations and offering better support.

• gsrdgrdghd said: Are they allowed under EU data protection directives to just move private data out of the EU?

Technically no, should get consent in advance. But GVH customers are unlikely to know that or care.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Are they allowed under EU data protection directives to just move private data out of the EU?

That is... very complicated. Yes, EU/NL laws differ very much from the US laws, especially on copyright/DMCA but considering that this also likely causes another IP change the customers are informed and need to reconsider what they do.

Moving the data itself is not so much an issue as the contract was already with an US based company and thus US laws were at least partly applicable.

Illegal.... i would say no, questionable - For sure.

• FWIW there was no talk of Jonny Nuggets making a comeback as of last week.

Thanked by 2hostnoob TheCTS
  • Nekki said: Jonny Nuggets

That last name!

• I especially like the part where they declare that the features they formally declared to be the finest of cream ... are now ... worthless sh-t.

So, hurry up for the new finest of cream in buffalo before it turns into sh-t, too.

And, and yes, sure, Amsterdam, buffalo, sidney, who cares anyway. The important point customers care about is to be with GVH!!111!!

Maybe I should go into the bridge selling business. The very fact that those guys are still alive (as a business) clearly indicates that bridge selling is a promising opportunity.

Thanked by 2zeitgeist ucxo
  • What

Thanked by 2ATHK TheCTS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: I especially like the part where they declare that the features they formally declared to be the finest of cream ... are now ... worthless sh-t.

I thought that as well. I'm sure when he sold people the Amsterdam VPSes he did not describe them as having "inferior specifications".

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Nekki said: FWIW there was no talk of Jonny Nuggets making a comeback as of last week.

I've heard it from multiple sources.

• @kcaj said:

That wouldn't be the first time you've heard fiction from these sources as I recall.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • lol, the nicknames Jonny Nuggets and J-Nugs still make me laugh every time I read them.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Nekki said: That wouldn't be the first time you've heard fiction from these sources as I recall.

I don't recall, enlighten me?

• DalekOfSkaro said: Well, not quite... IIRC, if you have, let's say, a /16 and only one or 2 /24s are announced outside ARIN, you might be Okay.

Yes, that I would imagine. Though, I would think it would have to be a pretty substantial portion address space to trigger anything? Especially if its a business with a real, legitimate presence in the ARIN region. That, being logic, could easily be the opposite of policy . . .

• @Microlinux said: Yes, that I would imagine. Though, I would think it would have to be a pretty substantial portion address space to trigger anything? Especially if its a business with a real, legitimate presence in the ARIN region. That, being logic, could easily be the opposite of policy

Yep.

• @Nekki said:
    Nothing to do with the loss of those IPS?

Yes, it seems they were pulled rather quickly by someone mentioned in this thread. And some people didn't get the e-mail from SolusVM regarding this.

kcaj said: So no comment from @mpkossen? Hearing Jonny making a return to LET is on the cards.

A couple of hours I'm not here and suddenly I'm allowing Jonny back. I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion...

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Are they allowed under EU data protection directives to just move private data out of the EU?

You actually think anybody has data with them in Amsterdam? (/joke)

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    The fact that despite all these complaints about GVH they still get a lot of business is rather overwhelming.

It's the fact that people keep mentioning them that lets others know they're still around. I hope that one day people will understand that if you do not mention these companies here, nobody will fucking bother and we will live happily ever after.

@kcaj said:

I'm curious who those sources are. I'm not sure what's more concerning, the fact that your sources think to know what's going on behind the scenes or the fact that you actually believe them.

• @kcaj said:
    I don't recall, enlighten me?

Something in the Cest pit a couple of weeks back, your sources had told you something that was nonsense, something about Biloh's level of involvement in moderator affairs I think.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said:

You actually think that GVH will move the data? They will just set up new containers and let the customers that actually have something of value on their NL vps restore their own backup.

Problem solved.

Thanked by 3ATHK ucxo Makenai
  • kcaj said: can you confirm that Jonathan Nguyen is banned indefinitely whilst LET is under your reign?

He still owes me a bunch of cash. I'm thinking about having my in-house give him another call.

• Come on, guys, hurry up! Keep in mind that every hour passing increases the risk of turning the Dual Xeon 6Tb Core, 8i x HexRaid DDR3 9271 MB SSD (very fast!), ECC2620 RAM well deserved raw speed VPS into inferior software hardware V3 Raid cards!

A propos business: Eiffel tower in Paris had inferior specs. First 20 customers will get enhanced enterprise Eiffel tower at our premium blend location at little rock, ak, for a very special price!

• @Gunter said:

LOL what's that gonna do?

• Nekki said: Something in the Cest pit a couple of weeks back, your sources had told you something that was nonsense, something about Biloh's level of involvement in moderator affairs I think.

No, that was just a mere comment I made about W1V_Lee's appointment as a moderator IIRC.

mpkossen said: A couple of hours I'm not here and suddenly I'm allowing Jonny back. I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion...

mpkossen said: I'm curious who those sources are. I'm not sure what's more concerning, the fact that your sources think to know what's going on behind the scenes or the fact that you actually believe them.

As I've said, it's here-say. If you can provide your assurances that Jonny is banned indefinitely whilst you reign at LET, that'd be great.

• What are discussing here, again?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • kcaj said: If you can provide your assurances that Jonny is banned indefinitely whilst you reign at LET, that'd be great.

You may want to look up 'indefinitely' in the dictionary, because I doubt that's what you really want to ask. But to answer your question, yes: he is banned indefinitely.

• mpkossen said: You may want to look up 'indefinitely' in the dictionary, because I doubt that's what you really want to ask. But to answer your question, yes: he is banned indefinitely.

Thank you. I know the definition, however I couldn't find a word more suitable, "forever" would seem silly.

• @kcaj

Permanently perhaps?

Thanked by 1Cpt_Ben
  • Silly excuse by GVH.

• @kcaj said:
    Thank you. I know the definition, however I couldn't find a word more suitable, "forever" would seem silly.

@Ishaq said:
    Permanently perhaps?

It's a game of words and I don't necessarily like it.

I'll just say the following: the reason several people from GVH (including Jonny) were banned was that they caused too many issues and crossed a certain line. I have no plans to allow GVH back here, especially not because of recent events (see below). Allowing people back on a personal basis without any advertizing/promotion/representation of GVH is something else and we'd consider such things on a case-by-case basis, where these things are discussed with the staff. Allowing GVH back to be advertized in any possible way, though, is definitely not in the cards right now. There's simply not enough hours in a week to deal with all the issues that would arise from that.

Recent events

My server IP got changed without me getting any notice and when asking for compensation I got stone-walled, with GVH blaming it on @William. While I tend to agree with them that it's not 100% their fault (from what I got, @William pulled the IPs before the end of contract blaming SPAM), I don't like being held responsible for someone else's business decisions and associated risk. I even advised Jonny not to get those IPs from @William as I knew it was going to be trouble. And I especially don't like it when GVH sort of knew the IPs were going to be pulled and failed to act on it. On top of that, no mass e-mail was sent out to customers.

In addition to that, my Amsterdam servers being moved to Buffalo is just another major fuck-up on GVH's end and a totally unacceptable migration. It's not that I don't like Buffalo; I got these servers because they were in Amsterdam. I could ask GVH to get me a replacement from, let's say RamNode, in Amsterdam for the rest of the contract period, but I doubt they'd do that.

So, long story short: GVH is still the single worst provider I've ever done business with and their unwillingness to compensate me for their own mistakes (even though I've warned them beforehand) is embarrassing, humiliating, and offensive. I became a customer to prove people wrong, to be able to say "hey, they're OK", but even as a HPC (or whatever) I get treated like a pile of fresh, steaming, smelly shit.

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited January 2015

@mpkossen said:
    I became a customer to prove people wrong, to be able to say "hey, they're OK", but even as a HPC (or whatever) I get treated like a pile of fresh, steaming, smelly [...]

This is hilarious because just two days ago on WHT Jon was saying:

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

mpkossen said: I could ask GVH to get me a replacement from, let's say RamNode, in Amsterdam for the rest of the contract period, but I doubt they'd do that.

You should still do it!

Thanked by 2mpkossen emg