Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr $20 Gift code for try secure private cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr $20 Gift code for try secure private cloud

Free $20 credit For 30 days.

Gift code: OWNCLOUD

Note: Gift code only for new funded accounts; Credit expires after 30 days

Sign up new Vultr account via my ref link, pls: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802593

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Nice coupon. I prefer systems with RAID myself, just to know that a single hard drive failure won't bring me down.

• DO got RAID would rather use them

Thanked by 1jar
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2015

Are they really multihomed in all locations? SCNR

Thanked by 2jar Maniac
  • @Amitz said:
    Are they really multihomed in all locations? SCNR

Nope

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I really want to thank you for your great contributions to the community:

http://lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/80941/activecoupon

• Nice affiliate link you got there.

• @Jar said:
    Nice coupon. I prefer systems with RAID myself, just to know that a single hard drive failure won't bring me down.

Live on the edge man! This is as close as we come to excitement and danger in the IT world . . .

Thanked by 1jar
  • Thanks, but no thanks.

• awesome provider, definitely in the top 5 best vps hosts.

• Is it for old customer ?

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited January 2015

@Jar said:

It's not even so much about the RAID for me. If you have no RAID and see no reason for it then cool, just be open witb them about it so that they can make an informed decission.

My problem with Vultu is that the guy in charge is a colossal moron. Takes swipes at other hosts, refers to his customers as "trolls" and he can't keep his toys in the pram on IRC.

Got rid of my Vultr stuff last week.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

Hmm, It seems that I went into auto advertise mode... Sorry

• That's not SSD though.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@William said:
    That's not SSD though.

SDD's on a storage server, are they worth it? I can see the benefits for smaller frequent files I guess, but I'm not sure their worth the added cost.

• Not like it matters here? Server in OPs post clearly offers SSD; you don't - So i'm right.

• said: Credit expires after 30 days

Useless

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Do you guys seriously believe that Vultr doesn't have RAID just because David won't disclose the hardware configuration?

• LeeLee Veteran

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Do you guys seriously believe that Vultr doesn't have RAID just because David won't disclose the hardware configuration?

It's such a basic question to refuse an answer on. Nobody was looking for granular detail, an "Of course we do" would have done.

Thanked by 2jar Amitz
    edited January 2015

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Do you guys seriously believe that Vultr doesn't have RAID just because David won't disclose the hardware configuration?

Yes. I've been around here long enough to know that most new hosts that avoid the question do so because they know the answer will be unpopular. It's nothing new to these parts. We've had hosts here rocking RAID0 and refusing to answer questions about their RAID. We learn from those past experiences, to not do so would be a mistake.

They don't have to disclose any secrets. RAID is not a secret. That redundancy exists is a stupid secret to keep. If they think they invented redundancy to such a degree that admitting it exists will harm their market position, they are not intelligent enough to be hosting my data.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

We have even got things like

We use 4 drives in Raid 10

But you use OVH?

Yes

But they only do 2 drives in Raid 1

Umm, oh yeah, we have a special deal with OVH to get 4 drives

They don't do special deals like that

Ah, it's because we are best customer

How many servers you got with them?

• Well... In all honesty, I do firmly believe they have a RAID Setup.

edited January 2015

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Well... In all honesty, I do firmly believe they have a RAID Setup.

That's cool, it's just called faith, nothing wrong with that I suppose...as long as you know what it is :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • LeeLee Veteran

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Well... In all honesty, I do firmly believe they have a RAID Setup.

I still believe that but you know, doubts... It's like @Jar saying "I have been straight all my life", it just has something wrong about it.

Thanked by 2jar mpkossen

W1V_Lee said: it just has something wrong about it.

I don't know who sent you that picture of me hanging curtains but I swear it was photoshopped.

Thanked by 2Lee vimalware
  • @W1V_Lee said:

I think at this point, any form of redundancy would have put the community at peace. People didn't care what RAID, they were just looking for redundancy and reliability.

Even a "we have a custom alternative to RAID but do provide redundancy" would have sufficed.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

Indeed, a refusal to answer at all was never going to end well.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Pwner said: any form of redundancy

1 copy of your data at Vultr, 1 at another location managed by you and not at Vultr.

Vultr certainly does not win any prizes for their handling of the entire situation, but when you look at it there's honestly nothing to raise such a fuss about.

Thanked by 1aglodek

rm_ said: but when you look at it there's honestly nothing to raise such a fuss about.

Nope not at all. I'm perfectly happy with my other hosts :)

• @rm_ said:
    Vultr certainly does not win any prizes for their handling of the entire situation, but when you look at it there's honestly nothing to raise such a fuss about.

Redundancy != data backup

The whole idea is that the server can run even if a hard drive (or a few) fail. Kinda hard to restore from a backup when your entire server goes down because one hard drive decided to call it quits.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Pwner said: The whole idea is that the server can run even if a hard drive (or a few) fail.

Are there any known cases where Vultr lost a customer's VPS due to an HDD failure?

Kinda hard to restore from a backup when your entire server goes down because one hard drive decided to call it quits.

Why, install a fresh OS, then restore stuff from backup (which of course should include all relevant config files).