Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Chinese 2 year SSL certificate: DV KuaiSSL by WoSign.com - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Chinese 2 year SSL certificate: DV KuaiSSL by WoSign.com

Comments

• @GM2015 said:
    How's the browser support? I'm just making an English one for a piwik subdomain.

Trusted everywhere where StartSSL is trusted. So pretty much all browsers. Only some old browsers might not trust it.

Rest depends on your config. Like ciphers and etc.

It's a perfect free SSL solution. Far away from the StartSSL private information BS.

• this not best, the root CA is startssl, it's allways free.

• @notgod said:
    this not best, the root CA is startssl, it's allways free.

1. Learn some (more) English please.

2. Yes, WoSign CA was cross signed by StartSSL. However WoSign out of the two currently available free SSL providers (Let's Encrypt has not started, yet. So not mentioned as 3rd) is the best because it does not ask you for any private information while StartSSL needs your private information such as name, address and etc. StartSSL is a Israeli company... Other good things about WoSign: a) certificates are issued quickly and fully automatically b) you can request unlimited certificates.

So whatever. I rather use StartSSL cross signed certificates from a Chinese company than having to provide my details to some Israeli company and go through a long process for a normal certificate. The security is not even a bit different and also the same setup.

• I think we can agree that personal data in that case is worth more than $5 - $10 for a certificate.

Hidden_Refuge said: So whatever. I rather use StartSSL cross signed certificates from a Chinese company than having to provide my details to some Israeli company and go through a long process for a normal certificate.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2015

@joepie91 said:
    Just tried to get a free certificate, but it refused to accept 'pdf.yt' as a valid domain. So I tried to use live chat, and this happened:

... yeah, perhaps I should just stick with Startcom for now.

I want the SMTP password :3

(I'm joking, but why not just get a cheap PositiveSSL (don't use it for production though and you'll be fine))

• doghouch said: PositiveSSL (don't use it for production though and you'll be fine)

Why not for production?

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    So whatever. I rather use StartSSL cross signed certificates from a Chinese company than having to provide my details to some Israeli company and go through a long process for a normal certificate. The security is not even a bit different and also the same setup.

When StartSSL asks for personal data? They only asked me to verify my email address for login and I can get free SSL from them without giving any personal detail.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

doghouch said: but why not just get a cheap PositiveSSL

You mean "why not just pay when you can get essentially the same product for free"? You must have too much money and/or no concern for them, maybe you don't earn yourself but parents give you an allowance.

• @giang said:
    When StartSSL asks for personal data? They only asked me to verify my email address for login and I can get free SSL from them without giving any personal detail.

I think you have to register with them again to get your memory refreshed regarding that. When you create an account you are asked to provide your personal information such as name, second name, full address, country and etc.. with phone number.

Sometimes you just need a memory refresh.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • is providing above information really an issue?

• Hidden_Refuge said: I think you have to register with them again to get your memory refreshed regarding that. When you create an account you are asked to provide your personal information such as name, second name, full address, country and etc.. with phone number.

I thought you have to submit your ID, driver license or something, every website on the internet is selling something will require you to input these details? But very few would ask you for submit ID to verify.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@giang said:
    I thought you have to submit your ID, driver license or something, every website on the internet is selling something will require you to input these details? But very few would ask you for submit ID to verify.

This can happen. They might temporarily close your account and ask for verification details such as a scan of your ID, drivers license or other documents.

This is fun to read https://danconnor.com/post/50f65364a0fd5fd1f7000001/avoid_startcom_startssl_like_the_plague_

In short it's not worth giving this information nowadays for a domain validated certificate. We're in a time where TLS starts to be adepted to all sites and not just to login pages, banks and etc. So these certs should be easily obtainable for the easiest task for safe and secure browsing with encryption.

EV SSL and etc is something different of course requires some kind of verifiction.

Meh. A self signed SHA-512 SSL certificate is as secure as any SSL certificate you can buy. Even more secure than most as they use SHA-256 mostly. So paying money for domain validated certs becomes slowly a thing of obsolence.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Hidden_Refuge said: A self signed SHA-512 SSL certificate is as secure as any SSL certificate you can buy.

Yes and no. The CA system is broken, but you are giving up a layer of confirmation by using a self-signed certificate.

• @rm_ said:
    You mean "why not just pay when you can get essentially the same product for free"? You must have too much money and/or no concern for them, maybe you don't earn yourself but parents give you an allowance.

I have something called "a job." Besides, PositiveSSL is fine for personal website or small business. At least PositiveSSL has $10,000 insurance - rather than a free WoSign certificate. I was just saying to not use WoSign for business use anyeay.

edited October 2015

doghouch said: At least PositiveSSL has $10,000 insurance

Yeah thanks I have no further questions to you. :D

• Has any CA ever paid out insurance money?

Why is there any insurance offered anyway?

rm_ said: Yeah thanks I have no further questions to you. :D

• doghouch said: At least PositiveSSL has $10,000 insurance

Anybody has successfully claimed any? How does the claim works?

• @giang said:

For their class one certificates it's just an email address and normal name, address, phone number type stuff. Class 2 and up require you to verify with some more information

• @CFarence said:
    For their class one certificates it's just an email address and normal name, address, phone number type stuff. Class 2 and up require you to verify with some more information

"some more information" can be even needed for the simple certificate if the guys at StartSSL simply think there is something wrong with you or whatever. So better always watch out.

• @doghouch said:
    I have something called "a job." Besides, PositiveSSL is fine for personal website or small business. At least PositiveSSL has $10,000 insurance - rather than a free WoSign certificate.

Lol... Since when having an income means having to pay? If you are talking about free stuff either just stick to it or stfu, pretty please. If that's the case someone will with a higher income than you will popup and say buy X certs for $YY...

Also, from business to business it might differ. In many scenarios it is "Who cares if it's positive or start or wosign ssl"

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @vRozenSch00n said:
    Anybody has successfully claimed any? How does the claim works?

You need to have valid proof of loss. Plus, you must prove that it was as a result of the CA's practices, not your bad SSL configuration or software vulnerabilities.

• Yea, it is essentially useless.

• doghouch said: You need to have valid proof of loss.

What kind of proof?

doghouch said: you must prove that it was as a result of the CA's practices

This is impossible to proof as it is beyond our control.

So, I guess nobody has successfully claim any incident?

edited December 2015

WoSign updates their free tier again, now in the direction of improvement, the free one instead of 1 year 1 domain only, now supports 5 domains and up to 2 years. -- https://buy.wosign.com/free/

Thanked by 2simonindia deadbeef
  • @rm_ said:
    WoSign updates their free tier again, now in the direction of improvement, the free one instead of 1 year 1 domain only, now supports 5 domains and up to 2 years. -- https://buy.wosign.com/free/

But

• @simonindia said:

So what?

If you add more than 5 domains then you'll pay anyway.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited December 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: So what?

If you add more than 5 domains then you'll pay anyway.

that's what i'm trying to say i love the new way how they implemented the free certification program

• @rm_ said:

probably that's their way to react on let's encrypt gain of popularity...

nothing new at all, they do so since some weeks... ;-)
    someone mentioned it somewhere here, hence I didn't post about after noticed.

• @Falzo said:
    someone mentioned it somewhere here, hence I didn't post about after noticed.

I suppose you mean my comment here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1429157/#Comment_1429157

Thanked by 1Falzo