Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - VPS unusable & unreliable, customer support even worse, but lost pp dispute - what now? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - VPS unusable & unreliable, customer support even worse, but lost pp dispute - what now?

Comments

• @TheLinuxBug

Sounds like smart advice to me. Because financial institutions do have data and detail memory. Even if the guys gets away this time, somewhere deep inside in paypal there will be a "grey flag" and collecting some of those will quite probably kill him off at paypal.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited January 2015

After reading this thread. @Etc, here is a video I think you should watch.

Just let it go man, holy shit lol. I can relate to your experience (not specifically to CVPS) but with another company that I won't mention. @TheLinuxBug pretty much said everything I was going to say. (I deleted like 2 paragraphs of text )

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

CVPS / GVH tend to get good publicity this way !

• etcetc Member

@Dillybob said:
    After reading this thread. Etc, here is a video I think you should watch.

Just let it go man, holy shit lol. I can relate to your experience (not specifically to CVPS) but with another company that I won't mention. TheLinuxBug pretty much said everything I was going to say. (I deleted like 2 paragraphs of text )

This isn't just about me. I was asking also about other ideas, E.g. how to effectively share my experience in other forums, etc.

• etcetc Member

I get it guys, shame on me for not listening to the admittedly ample reviews of CVPS' subpar service, and shame on me for paying so far in advance.

I acknowledge and accept my mistakes.

However, my primary interest is to try to mitigate these situations. There are providers, like ChicagoVPS providing unusable service, and hiding behind their terms chicanery. They've effectively figured out the person conversion system where they can provide service well below what could be reasonably expected, but leave the customer with little recourse.

It's just not right. So, yes, it might have been a $100 lesson learnt, but I'd like to help stop others from making the same mistake.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

etc said: I'd like to help stop others from making the same mistake.

Petition LET to stop allowing the latter two. (and #goodluckwiththat)

VPS must not exceed USD$15/year recurring on annual billing, with no setup fee, if the provider has been in business for less than a year, or

VPS must not exceed USD$48/year recurring on annual billing, with no setup fee, if the provider has been in business for more than a year, or
    VPS must not exceed USD$96/3 years recurring on at most tri-annual billing, with no setup fee, if the provider is a registered business and has been one for at least two years.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Mun said:
    CVPS_Chris wont be banned from the forum because.... dun dun dun, jbiloh. Long story short the two are "friends" and biloh will do anything to allow his scamming broforce to fuck over the people of this forum. The only reason he finally allowed GVH to be banned was because people like me made it clearly obvious that they were nothing but a scam host and that by allowing it they were doing a disservice to the community, so to prevent a mutiny jbiloh told mpkossen to ban him.

I would just like to state that this is completely untrue. If warranted, I will ban Chris from this place. And FYI: I banned GVH without consulting Jon, just my other staff.

I would like to ask you, @Mun, to refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited January 2015

I really don't understand why CVPS isn't banned from here tbh. I mean they're as bad as GVH, but at least Jon actually responded to these threads and did occasionally offer refunds in cases like this. CVPS genuinely doesn't care, and will continue scamming people forever.

In fact I know one member here (forgot his name) took advantage of GVH giving account credit for downtime. When I contacted CVPS about my VPS failing their 99.9% guarantee they just ignored me.

Does anyone remember when Chris made a post on here saying he would close down CVPS within a year, but was selling 3-year plans at the time?

• hostnoob said: Does anyone remember when Chris made a post on here saying he would close down CVPS within a year, but was selling 3-year plans at the time?

He did?

• @hostnoob said:
    Does anyone remember when Chris made a post on here saying he would close down CVPS within a year, but was selling 3-year plans at the time?

I believe the whole service is predicated on the fact that they won't be around to fulfil service for the full term, whether they just suddenly do a runner one day, or just people get fed up and just leave their VPS powered off because quality is worthless.

I'm sure they're just fulfilling new multi year specials without adding new hardware just from churn alone.

• Yeah maybe someone else remembers and can back me up. I think it was in a thread about some emails/IMs chris had sent to another host

• zedzed Member

@etc said:
    It's just not right. So, yes, it might have been a $100 lesson learnt, but I'd like to help stop others from making the same mistake.

You've done what you can (here), post it in other related forums as well. WHT might be a good choice. Spread the word, save the next guy.

Thanked by 1etc
  • LeeLee Veteran

@etc - Me jaded as a mod. lol, no. If you want to see someone very openly critical of CVPS/CC in the past just check my post history.

I provided my view based on what I seen in the tickets from both sides, not because of position.

• @etc said: Any suggestions?

Don't pre-pay anything for two years.

Thanked by 2doughmanes rm_
  • @etc

Recommendations for future purchases:

• Research first (as you know)
    • Do not commit to a long term! (test first)
    • Don't immediately go production! (test first!)
    • Make sure your specs are what you ordered

Best to check things like:

df -h and df -i ,

lscpu and cat /proc/cpuinfo ,

free -ms and cat /proc/meminfo ,

As well as the following (if you understand hardware):

lshw (you may have to install this package first.)

Basically, just give yourself a sanity checklist and follow it. Everyone finds their own means of protecting themselves that works best for them, the above are just general recommendations that I apply to everything; and even ask my customers to apply to our own services.

Thanked by 1etc
  • Microlinux said: Don't pre-pay anything for two years.

Don't prepay for anything you can't lose

• Run a TOR relay on server

• MunMun Member

@mpkossen said:
    I would like to ask you, Mun, to refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about.

I would like to ask you to grow some balls and be a good administrator, but you know nothing about that either.

So we both can't win can we? Ohh wait we can, ban CVPS already, they are a known scam host and we all knew that there winter sale was going to bring these drama threads. I even stated it in this years sale.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

When you gonna ban CVPS, also ban 123Systems is the same since they put it together.

• @Mun said:
    So we both can't win can we? Ohh wait we can, ban CVPS already, they are a known scam host and we all knew that there winter sale was going to bring these drama threads. I even stated it in this years sale.

That's a bit of an attack comment @Mun :(.

• edited January 2015

Infinity580 said: When you gonna ban CVPS, also ban 123Systems is the same since they put it together.

Actually, 123Systems got sold to ChicagoVPS/NWNX, which later got taken over by ColoCrossing/VSNX.

• MunMun Member

@GoodHosting said:
    That's a bit of an attack comment Mun :(.

Yes it is, and it is intended to be, it is absolute bullshit that we are still allowing this forum to be run aground by scamming hosts and people like mpkossen just sit there claiming you should have read a review first. Why don't we get some initiative and make this a decent forum again and ban those hosts that are causing these constant drama threads. Many agree CVPS should be gone, yet he is still here.

Thanked by 2TheCTS Leechum
  • I agree, Mun,

that crappy and scamming providers whould be banned at least for some time.

I don't see, however, how your purely ad hominem at mpkossen contributes to a solution or is even based on tangible facts. From what I can see (which, admittedly isn't much in the past as I'm quite new here) the problem isn't mpkossen balls or the like.
    If attacking in such a harsh and personal way you should have a strong hand of cards (facts or at least powerful and convincing indications).

Finally, even if I assumed for a moment that you are right, wouldn't it make much more sense then to accuse J Biloh, i.e. the man behind mpkossen who allegedly puppet-controls the game here? What, if you were right, would you aim for? That the (alleged) puppet mpkossen fights his (alleged) master/controller?

Pardon me, but your attack seems neither very smart (tactically) nor adequate or fair nor constructive.

• MunMun Member

@bsdguy said:
    I agree, Mun,

that crappy and scamming providers whould be banned at least for some time.

I don't see, however, how your purely ad hominem at mpkossen contributes to a solution or is even based on tangible facts. From what I can see (which, admittedly isn't much in the past as I'm quite new here) the problem isn't mpkossen balls or the like.
    If attacking in such a harsh and personal way you should have a strong hand of cards (facts or at least powerful and convincing indications).

Finally, even if I assumed for a moment that you are right, wouldn't it make much more sense then to accuse J Biloh, i.e. the man behind mpkossen who allegedly puppet-controls the game here? What, if you were right, would you aim for? That the (alleged) puppet mpkossen fights his (alleged) master/controller?

Pardon me, but your attack seems neither very smart (tactically) nor adequate or fair nor constructive.

In a way yes. His balls are more a comment of get to action, but him being a terrible administrator is clear. He has been here for over a year now and a good chunk of reputable providers have left.

It has been a constant never ending fight to get rid of bad providers on this board. It is seen as a business and not a community. Thus administrative actions rarely happen against bad providers.

At this point I don't see why I should need to provide information as to why cvps should be banned. This whole crap has been happening for years, and no one cares to fix it.

I personally administrate my own community and sometimes you have to get rid of your best players because in the end they will damage your community.

• Mun said: I would like to ask you to grow some balls and be a good administrator, but you know nothing about that either.

On the contrary, Cameron. I've learned not to accept this kind of indecency from people. It's very disrespectful, it doesn't contribute to the discussion at hand, and it will never lead to a constructive conversation.

So, please enjoy your time-out.

• @mpkossen - you should not ban people like him - you can defend yourself.

• bsdguy said: Finally, even if I assumed for a moment that you are right, wouldn't it make much more sense then to accuse J Biloh, i.e. the man behind mpkossen who allegedly puppet-controls the game here? What, if you were right, would you aim for? That the (alleged) puppet mpkossen fights his (alleged) master/controller?

I've never made a secret of this and since you are fairly new around here, allow me to explain.

LowEndTalk and LowEndBox are owned by ColoCrossing (which is owned by VSNX). I am in charge of managing both websites and collaborate with ColoCrossing to develop them further. I receive monetary compensation for this, though I am not an employee of ColoCrossing; I do this as a hobby.

I am never ordered to do anything. I am sometimes asked to do something (like post more tutorials or focus on putting up more international offers) and I sometimes ask for something (like the separate tabs for Tutorials on LowEndBox or software update). I work with ColoCrossing to manage these two sites and there's a healthy mutual respect, including room to share concerns and to be honest with each other about what we think.

There is a long history to these two sites. Particularly the failure of ColoCrossing to announce their ownership of the two sites shortly after obtaining it has pissed a number of people off (which was before my time as an Administrator). In addition to that, there's always been those that consider these sites more than a guideline than a marketplace. We are more of the latter, to be honest. We only ban those providers that either scam others (and with that, we don't mean two or three pissed of customers with a failed PayPal dispute) or those that cause of too much grieve (like GVH, which simply took up too much time from our staff).

Whether a provider is good or bad is, and in my opinion should, stay something for the community to decide. We welcome community review and it's often a much better guideline for picking a good host than the opinion of a select few (I.E.: me deciding which hosts are good or not). Some see this as an excuse not to ban some providers and think that asking people to conduct their own research before buying is too much to ask. Then again, I'm not sure how they feel about the administrator of a website owned by a hosting company making that decision for them by banning supposedly bad providers.

I'm afraid we can never reach a situation that is perfect for everyone, though I'd like to think the current situation is suitable for most.

If anybody has any constructive feedback or ideas on how to improve community review and/or have a good guideline for those looking for a provider, please share them in a new thread, via PM, or the Feedback & Suggestions thread. I've toyed with the idea to write a Buyer's Guide for a while now and I may actually get to it in a few weeks from now, just some basic guidelines what to pay attention to when looking for a host.

Thanked by 2GoodHosting etc
  • mpkossen said: I would just like to state that this is completely untrue. If warranted, I will ban Chris from this place. And FYI: I banned GVH without consulting Jon, just my other staff.

I'd advise you to review Chris' posting history and how he acts in general. He at the very least isn't trustworthy, and most of his posts are rude and off-putting.

We (as a community) see a thread like this on a weekly basis. A recent one was regarding spam being sent without unsubscribe links. He claims that somebody else is responsible for this, but it's his company. When is he EVER going to take responsibility? He responds to customer complaints in a negative manner regardless of the circumstances and proves to lack customer service skills.

It's clear that you place too much trust in others. When there's so many good, hard-working individuals running hosting companies that started as a result of the "low-end" trend and possibly even this community, why allow the ones that blatantly take people's money without regard for service quality to remain here?

You just provoked another member, blatantly calling his credibility into question, and then banned him. I recall you saying you spoke to Mr. Biloh before banning Jon Nuggets. Correct me if I'm wrong, by all means. I'm not saying this action is wrong or arguing. I specifically remember you saying that Jon had contacted Mr. Biloh after his ban.

I enjoy your moderating style and this community, but you blatantly allow harassment and it's tiring. If you're going to ban people based on things like basic personal insults, then don't just ban people who direct it at you.

• @alexh - I think we should start a thread - community thread to vote to unban MUN and ban Chicago VPS - people can not dominate a community like this - it is wrong. completely wrong.

Thanked by 2GoodHosting etc
  • alexh said: I specifically remember you saying that Jon had contacted Mr. Biloh after his ban.

He did and Jon referred him back to me. It was my decision after having spoken to the staff. The timing was horrible I have to admit, which can be blamed on me not being home during the time the events took place.

alexh said: I enjoy your moderating style and this community, but you blatantly allow harassment and it's tiring. If you're going to ban people based on things like basic personal insults, then don't just ban people who direct it at you.

I remember (temporarily) banning a number of people for doing the same directed at others. Please send me a PM if I or someone else has missed something, or use the "Flag" link. I'd also like to hear where we've allowed harassment: it's not our intention to allow that.

I'd again like to ask everybody to use the "Flag" link to report rule violations and indecent behavior. Please take the time to explain in one or two sentences what's going on so we have some more context. We look at each and every report that comes in; I even get them all in my inbox.

Thanked by 1GoodHosting
This discussion has been closed.