Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - VPS unusable & unreliable, customer support even worse, but lost pp dispute - what now? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - VPS unusable & unreliable, customer support even worse, but lost pp dispute - what now?

Comments

• do a chargeback at the bank.

• Guys. CVPS is turning over a new leaf this year. Just give them time. /sarcasm

• LeeLee Veteran

etc said: given the intolerable level of service and lack of customer support.

Can you post the tickets that show this?

Still not sure here whether:

a) This was an issue with the node or;
    b) Your setup was causing the issues and CVPS were just not troubleshooting for you.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    do a chargeback at the bank.

that's possible but hard evidence will be needed to support your claim, otherwise might end up losing more $$$

• etcetc Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    do a chargeback at the bank.

Unfortunately, I think the transaction was funded through ACH, so I don't believe the typical chargeback mechanisms are available.

• etcetc Member

@century1stop said:
    that's possible but hard evidence will be needed to support your claim, otherwise might end up losing more $$$

I have "hard evidence." I have screenshots of the downtime, plus their explicitly acknowledgement in the tickets. That's not the issue.

• http://lowendbox.com/blog/thanksgiving-chicagovps-39month-usa-based-atom-with-8gb-of-ram-and-more/

Quote 1
    "ChicagoVPS has recently sold 123Systems to VSNX (the owner of LowEndBox and LowEndTalk) ..."

Quote 2
    "ChicagoVPS guarantees a 99.9% uptime with all services. "

No more questions, thank you.

While I regret etc's bad experience and bad luck I basically see a man who had a walk in the jungle with closed eyes and barefoot. Sorry.

• @etc said:

hopefully, that be the case. check their service agreement on chargebacks :)

• @etc ; Please provide Support Ticket screenshots of the acknowledgement. Thus, you actually will have a case (as per LET "Review" rules, and to make sure you were a customer, etc; standard thread formalities.) [ I don't deny that you probably are a CVPS customer that got screwed (how many don't?) but the proof is still required. ]

@CVPS_Chris ; Once the OP provides the above proof, you're under direct fire for scamming a customer out of $100 by explicitly phoning up PayPal and having them close out the dispute, I know full well they won't close them out with a simple response in the account; as I too am a provider using PayPal Business/Partner and Payflow PRO. The only reason this would be considered a scam is because a service was not delivered as working.

Obviously if OP provides no proof, then there's nothing to go on.

• My CVPS vps runs very well, almost never ever down, and faster than most of the other VPSes that I have with reputable companies.

However, I do agree, the support is pretty much retarded. I got my VPS suspended once, and after opening a ticket, it took them 3 days to re-activate my server.

I still to this day don't know why the server was suspended, and I kept trying to ask the support why it was suspended, his name was Uttam if I remember correctly, and his answer was "Your server is re-activated" or "Your server is working now" or "Your server is working I will monitor it for few hours"... like WTF, as if the support can't comprehend English.

• etcetc Member

@jonnathon said:
    My CVPS vps runs very well, almost never ever down, and faster than most of the other VPSes that I have with reputable companies.

However, I do agree, the support is pretty much retarded. I got my VPS suspended once, and after opening a ticket, it took them 3 days to re-activate my server.

I still to this day don't know why the server was suspended, and I kept trying to ask the support why it was suspended, his name was Uttam if I remember correctly, and his answer was "Your server is re-activated" or "Your server is working now" or "Your server is working I will monitor it for few hours"... like WTF, as if the support can't comprehend English.

That's precisely the type of response that I received.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jonnathon said:
    My CVPS vps runs very well, almost never ever down, and faster than most of the other VPSes that I have with reputable companies.

I agree and share similar sentiments concerning their service since I am also a happy customer regarding uptime but not too fond of support.

@Etc please provide all screenshots if you can to prove that you are a customer and any support tickets that proved their acknowledgement of there being a problem

• LeeLee Veteran

@etc - Can you post your tickets so we can see the content.

• etcetc Member

@GoodHosting: Here are two screenshots of the chain that indicate two distinct times I messaged them regarding a complete outage. (wholly non-responsive, even to the VM control panel). I have more, but don't want to spam the thread. PM me if you'd like to read the entire chain. I'm more than happy to share.

• etcetc Member

@W1V_Lee said:
    etc - Can you post your tickets so we can see the content.

This is a screengrab I took during one of the downtime sessions. I was working with 2 remotely located teammates at the time, and none of us could connect. (We're in different states). We also tried connecting from some other servers we had, to no avail. I doubt it was an outside network issue.

I've posted to poignant pieces of the ticket. If you PM me, I'll send you the entire chain.

• @etc

What's the worth of your time? I guess you have already spent more that 99$ being angry, complaining, negotiating with them, fighting their stubborn ignorance, ...

Don't get me wrong, I can understand your feeling and I even feel that those a**holes seem to need a really painful lesson - but: What are the chances those guys understand anything but a solid slap right into their face? Nada, zilch.

And keep in mind: All they have to do is to say "your server is online now" and smirk. You, however, have a lot of trouble, dealing with paypal, writing threads, looking for solutions, etc. Short, you'll lose, in one way or another - and they know that.

Thanked by 1etc
  • etcetc Member

@bsdguy said:
    etc

What's the worth of your time? I guess you have already spent more that 99$ being angry, complaining, negotiating with them, fighting their stubborn ignorance, ...

Don't get me wrong, I can understand your feeling and I even feel that those a**holes seem to need a really painful lesson - but: What are the chances those guys understand anything but a solid slap right into their face? Nada, zilch.

And keep in mind: All they have to do is to say "your server is online now" and smirk. You, however, have a lot of trouble, dealing with paypal, writing threads, looking for solutions, etc. Short, you'll lose, in one way or another - and they know that.

I get what you're saying, but this is more than that. Perhaps this thread will bear witness to those that are on the fence about whether or not to use ChicagoVPS at all. Sometimes we do things for a reason more than just money.

• etcetc Member

Note the ominous "at the moment" that's always appended to declarations of status.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited January 2015

@etc said:

It won't. People go to CVPS and related only for the cheap price. They know EXACTLY what service to expect. @CVPS_Chris in specific has a very nasty habit of spamming people who haven't even been his customers. with E-Mail advertisements of their services (sometimes sending more than five of the same shitty E-Mail in the same day.)

Since I'm told not to (at)mention mods (...) I reported the thread with the information there, the fact that you provided evidence + CVPS continuing to do its usual non-delivery. I don't know why they're allowed to advert here (of if they are allowed to anymore considering... eugh.) That would cover 123Systems as well I would hope; since they are now all run the same crap.

• LeeLee Veteran

@etc, thanks for providing the screenshots. In summary;

The support was fairly quick to respond albeit the response contained little info other than to tell you it was running again.

They did offer to move you to another node which you declined or provide you with a credit as they do not offer refunds (ToS say refunds on a case by case basis).

So whilst not the best experience it's not the worst I have seen.

I know it's CVPS and people like to jump all over threads like this however overall I don't think it's that bad really.

Ok whilst not the best customer service I would have taken the node switch to see how that panned out first.

I am not saying you are wrong in being upset/annoyed thus far however you jumped in with a 2 year subscription and want to bail just a few weeks after due to the customer service and issues with the node, I would say a bit more patience is required given you were willing to commit for such a long period initially. Who knows, you could have switched nodes and not had any further issues.

• I was struggling long enough. But now, I planned to move out my last VPS with them.

• etcetc Member

@W1V_Lee said:
    etc, thanks for providing the screenshots. In summary;

The support was fairly quick to respond albeit the response contained little info other than to tell you it was running again.

They did offer to move you to another node which you declined or provide you with a credit as they do not offer refunds (ToS say refunds on a case by case basis).

So whilst not the best experience it's not the worst I have seen.

I know it's CVPS and people like to jump all over threads like this however overall I don't think it's that bad really.

Ok whilst not the best customer service I would have taken the node switch to see how that panned out first.

I am not saying you are wrong in being upset/annoyed thus far however you jumped in with a 2 year subscription and want to bail just a few weeks after due to the customer service and issues with the node, I would say a bit more patience is required given you were willing to commit for such a long period initially. Who knows, you could have switched nodes and not had any further issues.

Respectfully, I think you're just jaded from being a moderator on LET.

1) If there's a time to bail on a 2 year subscription, it's at the beginning when it's patently clear that there is no desire to provide even the most basic level of service.

2) When the support staff couldn't/wouldn't provide any information re: why the node was failing, why in the world would I take the time for them to play musical servers in the hopes that I would land on one that was working? Furthermore, how long would that server work? There was no indication that this was an anomaly. Quite the opposite. The utter lack of urgency or diligence indicates this is normative behavior. If they had said, "it looks like your node was failing due to xxxxxxxx, but we can put you on another server which is healthy" I would have gladly taken them up on the offer.

3) The quickness of response is irrelevant if it is ineffective.

4) I can't speak for all states, but in Texas, a ToS cannot limit implicit warranties of commerce.

5) Need I remind you that the server was down at least 3 times in 2 days, for hours, without any explanation whatsoever. None. Zero.

There is no indication at all that Chicago VPS had any desire to legitimately remedy the situation and perform any due diligence to identify the issues. Zero. Quite the opposite. Despite my numerous inquiries and protestations, customer support did absolutely nothing other than indicate "the server was up."

The suggestion I should have given them another chance is silly. I gave them plenty of chances the 3 times (at least) the server failed. Would you stay with a hosting solution that was wholly unresponsive?

• etcetc Member

@seikan said:
    I was struggling long enough. But now, I planned to move out my last VPS with them.

Congratulations. It can only go up from here, no doubt.

• @etc said:

Well, he's actually newly a moderator; he's a respected and known community member elsewise (so I think that was a little unnecessary there.) That being said, he's right that working with people are a good thing. That being said, I wouldn't do it with this host given the topics that go around here.

You SHOULD however accept the "new node" offer, as not all their nodes are this bad.

• etcetc Member

@GoodHosting said:
    You SHOULD however accept the "new node" offer, as not all their nodes are this bad.

Note: I didn't intend insult, rather just an objective assertion that he might be jaded.

Based on what? Arbitrary assertion of good faith? Given the circumstances, I had no basis on which to give them another chance. Again, if they had said: "your specific node is failing due to xx, I can move you" - I would have gladly done it. That never transpired.

Absent an indication otherwise, I have to assume it was a core system failure (given my inability to even connect with SolusVM).

• edited January 2015

@etc Well i read through the TOS of chicago vps and under U.S. consumer law you have a right to refund or service credit. The TOS does not contain any kind of wording that must be written clearly to deny a refund or service credit. There has to be a exact phrase in which it has to be clearly defined to prevent you from getting a refund or service credit.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

rds100 said: Lesson learned? If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Nnnnope, the lesson is do not f-cking prepay for 2 f-cking years ever, with any provider AT ALL, not to mention with a provider that does not consistently appear in LET Top Provider polls and does not have a perfect track record of unmatched quality service. Personally I would not pre-pay even for 1 year, no matter if it's something like $15. The freedom to move away from a provider with "no hard feelings" and no money lost is much more valuable. And even if the VPS is "okay" 6 months later, there's no guarantee you will still need it at that particular location and provider -- which means if not, from then on you are just wasting your money for nothing.

• Well ... even going with a top provider isn't a reliable ticket as I just learned. All that's needed to fck up your day is an idiotic anal bureaucrat at the other end. That's btw. one of the reasons why small providers are sometimes better than large ones. At large ones there are sometimes employees who just don't care a fck. At small ones you talk to the owner - and he usually does care. A lot.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2015

@etc By the way, I just wanted to mention this here, I think it was a scam on top of a scam that HE TOLD YOU to open the Paypal dispute. This is actually where you made your biggest mistake (regardless of him telling you that). See, most providers have this little clause in their TOS, especially scammy hosts, which says that if you open a dispute against payment they have the ability to immediately terminate all of your accounts with them on the count of your disputing the payment. This means they have the ability to refuse you further service as soon as you put in the dispute. On top of that, he already knew what the outcome would be before you submitted the dispute (effectively bending you over and giving it to your regally). If I were you, if you have evidence of him telling you to open the dispute, I would call Paypal directly and ask them to re-evaluate their decision. I would provide them any document showing they explicitly telling you to open the dispute and I would also include a copy of all your tickets and show that the company never had intended to provide you with your product and provided no good faith that your level of service would be corrected when you had problems. They may still find in their favor, but at least you have contributed to showing how CVPS handles their customers and maybe going forward they will consider the issue in the customers favor more often.

Unless you can truly show that the product was never delivered to you, you will generally lose. Also, if you allow scammy services like CVPS to convince you to open it, your only doing them a favor as it allows them to permanently sever any responsibilities to you the second you open the dispute. I would suggest going forward that you do more research before you buy. When people say to stay away from a company, about 96% of the time there is a good reason they are doing so, especially when you can see more than a few reviews stating the same.

Ohh and lastly, DO NOT EVER buy services from a company on more than a monthly basis that you do not have past history with for at least 6 months or where you have someone who can directly vouch for their services that you trust and has been with them for at least that long. This, in and of it's self, is the biggest scam you can get your self into in this industry. I know its a pain to pay monthly, but at least you won't see your self caught in another situation like this where you have thrown away $99.00 on something too good to be true.

TL;DR: DO NOT open a Paypal dispute with an online provider like you did (especially for a product purchased for longer than a month), DO NOT purchase a product yearly that you haven't tested for at least 6 months, and do more research before you buy.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Wow those yearly prepaid scams on questionable providers still reeling in folks?

This discussion has been closed.