Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you looking for when looking at online storage providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you looking for when looking at online storage providers?

Comments

• I can do even cheaper. My calculation based on Avoton atoms ends up at around 4.2EUR/TB - I just have no investor currently to start a business with that.

• @William said:
    I can do even cheaper. My calculation based on Avoton atoms ends up at around 4.2EUR/TB - I just have no investor currently to start a business with that.

What chassis?

• X-case.co.uk 24 bay hotswap chassis at 220EUR each.

• @William said:
    X-case.co.uk 24 bay hotswap chassis at 220EUR each.

Interesting. I was looking at something similar for my existing storage service, but it was a lot more expensive...

• William said: I just have no investor currently to start a business with that.

How much do you need to make this happen?

• Not too much, i have excellent contacts to colo partners in NL/AT/DE and US - The hardware itself would run for around 2500EUR/node. I have parts of the hardware already in ownership (caching SSDs, server chassis etc.).

• Notably i also own far more than enough IP space to start this up (currently a /18+), i own multiple chassis and a lot of SSDs and some HDDs - I calculated this already through and end user pricing would be 6EUR/TB as NFS/Samba mount and 7EUR/TB as iSCIS mount. Entire system is based on ZFS (RAIDZ2) with Solaris jails (or KVM VPS), overhead (ZFS) for this is already calculated in. This setup is tested and working. Panel already exists as well (based on Solaris Jails from the mind behind ASYD, programmed as standalone application).

If anyone is interested in that my email is [email protected]

• @William how much time do you have on your hands? :O

(I'm impressed, this is not meant in offense.)

• Much, i'm officially unemployed sinced 11.2014 and get financed by the Austrian government and my SO.

• So sell some of your IP space and you'll raise the cash in minutes.

• No chance, i sold a bunch of /24 to keep afloat already and will keep the remaining forever.

• @William wants USA located online storage.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Not relevant as i'd encrypt it anyway.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

What are the pro's and cons for R1soft? Would it be a benefit to offer a free licence?

• Online storage that offers free trial, I can access files anytime and anywhere,
    sync with various computers, and secure.

• No setup fee. Anything > 10EUR/TB = no thx. Need fast upload and download speed, the 10 mbit/s on hubic are unacceptable if you need to restore 1TB.

@4n0nx said:
    No setup fee. Anything > 10EUR/TB = no thx. Need fast upload and download speed, the 10 mbit/s on hubic are unacceptable if you need to restore 1TB.

Would you pay a small fee to download at higher rates? Like a one time download fee of $5

• pbgben said: Would you pay a small fee to download at higher rates? Like a one time download fee of $5

I guess that could work. Like "emergency download" or something. But it would be inconvenient having to pay when I just want to download my files. Maybe some "booster mode" for a day that is free for 1-2 days a month?

• If i have to provide the storage the download/upload speed is no issue anyway as each node is surely connected by 1Gbit or more - It's just pure money gathering.

edited January 2015

@William said:
    If i have to provide the storage the download/upload speed is no issue anyway as each node is surely connected by 1Gbit or more - It's just pure money gathering.

The issue you'll have is that throughput is shared across all current users, for which there will be many to one node thus decreasing total performance per user.

AKA, slow downloads when you need fast.

I like what 4nOnx suggested, have a normal free shared use but also have a "Panic" download mode that allows you to pay for a "dedicated" line to download a file from.

• Just get 10GE uplinks? Not sure where the hell you buy your services but my favourite NL ISP offers unshared 10GE burstable for exactly the same price as 1GE burstable.

• @William said:
    Just get 10GE uplinks? Not sure where the hell you buy your services but my favourite NL ISP offers unshared 10GE burstable for exactly the same price as 1GE burstable.

Which ISP would this be? O.o

edited January 2015

@William said:
    Just get 10GE uplinks? Not sure where the hell you buy your services but my favourite NL ISP offers unshared 10GE burstable for exactly the same price as 1GE burstable.

That may not solve the issue, if there is throughput available to the server then you can bet your bottom dollar that it will get "whored". Unless you limit each user to a set amount that you can then guarantee. How many download/upload sessions would one server handle?

As an extension to the overall server>to>customer throughput. We also have to take into consideration the servers IO.

By paying a small fee, the provider could grant your VPS a higher IO priority thus negating that factor too.

• If your read IO is below 5Gbit/s (450MB/s) your server sucks. Simple as that.

• Just as reference; my storage server at home with 10x2TB and 2x480GB SSD as cahce does nearly 1000MB/s random read I/O - Enough to fill a full 10GE link.

edited January 2015

@William said:
    Just as reference; my storage server at home with 10x2TB and 2x480GB SSD as cahce does nearly 1000MB/s random read I/O - Enough to fill a full 10GE link.

Your missing the point @william. Take a step back, clear your mind and imagine this. You have a storage server, which people are contently storing and retrieving things from. Because of this the servers resources are fully utilized. So that 1GB/s Read IO is maxxed out. Now, say a customer has just had a failure of epic proportion and need their backups NOW.

They have a server with a 10Gbit connection too and would love to be able to retrive their backups at the full potential of the network. However, your servers are maxxed out to they are now limited by YOU. This makes them slightly unhappy and introduces the thought of condering other providers. This is BAD, you dont want to loose a customer or reputation because of a silly throughput issue. So, you offer a one time service that allows the customer to pay a nominal fee to access THEIR files at the FULL potential of the network, or at least a fair percentage higher then before.

I'm not sure why your 'slightly' hostile to this idea, do you also believe in free energy devices?

• I'm not sure why your 'slightly' hostile to this idea, do you also believe in free energy devices?

What does that have to do with anything? Just for reference; for me nuclear energy IS limitless and free energy if developed correctly. Thermonuclear fusion even more so once available. It will provide limitless amounts of energy to the entire European continent.

Now back to topic; if my read limit is 10Gbit/s or ~1024MB/s i can still fully satisfy the endusers, either one of them at 10GE or multiple at 1GE or even 100 at 100Mbit. There is NO reason why Hubic and others limit to only 10Mbit/s -This limit is artificial and makes no sense. 100Mbit would make more sense.

Also, for reference, i DO provide such a service currently located in the Netherlands at 10Gbit/s external upstream - I've never seen a single user cross 950Mbit/s.

@William said:

I'm not sure you fully understand. Hubic does not have a 10Mbit limit, the speed fluctuates quite a bit. This is caused by their "overselling" of performance to cut their costs, which is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

• Not true; OVH/Hubic imposes a 10Mbit limit on the edge. Support confirmed this to me.