Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any VPS provider that allows heavy proccessing task? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any VPS provider that allows heavy proccessing task?

2»

Comments

• If you have a bit more budget, Delimiter's I3 would be good. At the end of the day, it's still a dedicated server, benchmark up to 4,800.

• @debianLover said:
    BharatB thans for the suggestion but Atom wont be any good for this project

You must not realize the power of the new Atom's. These are no where near the Atoms in the D5xx series.

The Atom C2550 and C2750 are good workhorses -- if you were interested in the Dual X5150, these are MORE POWERFUL.
    Faster memory, faster processors, newer overall.

You claim you want an "E5" above, but you would have small percentage (not even an entire core) of an E5 processor on a shared machine -- a dedicated Atom C2750 would be leaps and bounds higher performance.

• Thanks for the hint @ItsChrisG

• So the X5150 fits that price point both on monthly and quarterly options and gives you 16GB RAM, 500GB disk.

What is the actual app/platform you are looking to run. If its really CPU intensive forget VPS and just go dedicated then you can max it out to your hearts content and not worry about neighbors.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited January 2015
  • This is a very complex system designed and developted by me for a university. I also think a dedi is better for this purpose.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@debianLover said:
    BharatB is this a kvm or dedi?

Dedicated.

edited January 2015

so the decision is yours, our services come with a 14 day money back guarantee, by the way. We have 12GB - 14GB RAM for host node, so neighbors won't be affected ;)

• These seem to be the people that all the resellers are buying from, so if you go down the Avoton road then save some money and buy it there.

• You should get dedi for full resource usage. Go with what @MarkTurner has suggested. He is a good guy.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @MarkTurner said:

He's right!!!

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bf1 said: digitalocean, if it's indeed a scientific program, if the scientific program is mining a cryptocoin then no, they won't allow it.

Is there something in the TOS that says "no mining"? I was under the impression that DO's policy was like Amazon/Azure/Google Compute/Rackspace/etc. - you rent the VM, you can abuse it all the want.

It won't be very efficient regardless.

• From my limited time spent here, I've seen quite a few users making requests for services and seemingly wait for providers to outdo each other, wonder if I'm right?

• Hi,
    is there no way to use the computer labs and/or the datacenter of the university?

My university was very well equipped and I had no problems to use dedicated machines in the computer labs for scientific researches even over long time periods.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

if you wish to try, i can make you one test VM of abusive cores.
    it will cost you only 6.5 per month and maybe it will be exactly what you need.
    It is not comparable to dedicated server but it still cost 6.5 per month and we can arrange few days test to see if that plan suits you.

So risk free

• Dude vps or dedi ain't gonna be useful for that. If you are good with cuda get a couple of tesla cards and write gpu optimized code. That is a much better use of your money and time. I am worked on some computational fluid dynamic codes. I can tell from my experience that no server can match a cpu / gpu / hybrid cluster's performance. You would get multitudes of performance actually since bio informatic problems are embarrassingly parallel.From my experience on genetic algorithms they could search in parallel in a bigger computational domain. Now would be a good time to dust of those C books and learning some CUDA - C. OVH provides scientific computing per time and amazon does too. I heard about a company in germany. I am sorry i don't remember the name. You could easily get permission from a lab in your university or nearby university to assign you some compute resources and time.

P.S: I did it all on a nvidia gt630 m and i7 quad processor in my laptop and currently writing my thesis using the same.

• I have a IBM server with around 400GB Ram but currently it has heating problem and once i run a heavy program on it, it will shutdown. IBM guy says it costs 7000$ to fix replace power supply. Meanwhile i need to test this program and show it to a scientific group.

• @drserver what is the specification for the VM you are offering pls?

edited January 2015

debianLover said: I have a IBM server with around 400GB Ram but currently it has heating problem a

better not to even use at all if you intend to repair the server. you'll tend to aggravate the issue affecting motherboard/processor as well. a refurbished power supply should do the trick.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

1 dedicated core
    1GB RAM
    30GB Disk
    1tb @ 1gbps
    Xenserver platform

• @debianLover said: IBM guy says it costs 7000$ to fix replace power supply.

I suppose it's a Power system. We have several of them. For older ones, with expired IBM maintenance plans, there are third-party service/repair suppliers that will fix it with refurbished parts for a small fraction of the IBM price, just google around and you will find them. A power supply may run for about $500. And, for the benefit of people that does not know IBM proprietary systems, it is not your average power supply. I once opened one and it was a complex piece of kit, with microcontroller boards and all kinds of self-monitoring and protection circuits. I was unable to fix it myself without a service manual.

If you application is indeed optimized for the higly multithreaded IBM processor, you can check with the Runabove.com service, they also have pay-per-hour Power8 instances.

• using drserver for 2 months now ! it's the best :), btw all my work uses extreme cpu and it worked just fine ;)

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Hey @debianlover I would recommend Power 8 http://labs.runabove.com/power8/ , they have 8 threads and 4gb of ram for 32 a month, is cloud service so you can pay as you go. Or maybe try the 176 threads for 1usd an hour

• @debianlover -

Dedibox®
    Classic 2014 v2

From online.net

It is approx 33.5 USD.
    It is a server grade E3-1220 v2 processor with benchmark 6539
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1220+V2+@+3.10GHz

It will be good for your purpose.
    Comes with 2x1TB disks ( you can raid them for your use ) and 16GB memory.

• @Felibe - those must be benchmarked to check their actual power.

• +1 for drserver

Thanked by 1drserver
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

said: I need to test a scientific program which requires CPU and Memory all the time. But I have heard that providers suspend VPSs that use CPU heavily. So any provider that allows me to run my application for a month?

Just get a cheap dedi so you don't have to worry about it

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @MarkTurner any test ip?

• @debianLover - I have PM'ed you one