Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hong Kong VPS Recommendation - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hong Kong VPS Recommendation

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

@GreenVine said: Yeah in mainland China AliCloud(Aliyun) is the best but I am afraid that my clients do not want to get a ICP license from CNNIC.

That's the worst part of running a website in mainland China, really. BTW, how's edis's HK location to China Unicom?

• ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited August 2012

@fan said: how's edis's HK location to China Unicom?

Assuming they host their website in their own datacenter/network,
    this would be the latency measured from our HK node:

PING eng.chinaunicom.com (123.125.96.216) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 123.125.96.216: icmp_req=1 ttl=240 time=39.7 ms
    64 bytes from 123.125.96.216: icmp_req=2 ttl=240 time=40.0 ms
    64 bytes from 123.125.96.216: icmp_req=3 ttl=240 time=41.0 ms
    64 bytes from 123.125.96.216: icmp_req=4 ttl=240 time=40.3 ms

inetnum: 123.112.0.0 - 123.127.255.255
    netname: UNICOM-BJ
    descr: China Unicom Beijing province network
    descr: China Unicom

Cheers,
    Gerhard

• By using http://ping.chinaz.com, average ping for China Telecom is 41ms and for China Unioncom is 63ms with each 10 nodes in mainland China.

• Hi guys,
    I want to ask a tech question regarding cPanel/WHM (Atought I know I should not ask in this forum :D), is there any way to change web interface ports for cPanel/WHM (2082, 2083, 2086, 2087 etc.) to make server safer?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2012

I wanted to proxy my YouTube via OVH HK to view Chinese ads instead of Russian ads (don't laugh, those are truly horrible :P)
    But no luck! YouTube detects OVH HK (despite its APNIC IP and properly geolocated to HK) as coming from France. Soooo, can anyone with an EDIS HK VPS try viewing YouTube and see if you get ads for HK or for Austria? :D

• @rm_ said: (don't laugh, those are truly horrible :P)

I laughed pretty hard at this.

I don't know why you want to watch youtube ads, but ok hehe.

@GreenVine: This might be interesting to you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6928565/how-to-change-cpanel-default-port

But personally, I see no reason to change it.

edited August 2012

@HalfEatenPie
    well you see before some videos on some channels you get an advertisement insert of 15sec to 1minute and more. How do you deal with that? I know of no program or browser addon that can block these. But since I am interested in Chinese and Japanese modern culture, I would actually enjoy them, if they were for HK, CN or Japan. But if they are for RU, they are just ugh and remind me of the boring dull lousy local TV programming.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@rm_: https://adblockplus.org/en/

It blocks most ads including Youtube ads. Allow LowEndBox ads though :P and other websites you'd like to support

• TIL there are ads on Youtube. I've never seen one (Adblock ftw). Does Youtube actually make people wait x seconds before viewing a video???

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Does Youtube actually make people wait x seconds before viewing a video???

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: If its a 15 seconds ad, they make you watch it. If its longer, usually within 5 seconds in to the ad you can skip it.

• Yes it does. Try American pop singer chans, they are mostly filled with ads.

And the best part? They serve the ads according to your geo location. If you have an Indian ip, don't be surprised that your ads are in alien language( sorry no offense to Indians out there)

• @HalfEatenPie said: Long Answer: If its a 15 seconds ad, they make you watch it. If its longer, usually within 5 seconds in to the ad you can skip it.

Wow, i should really make a donation to the Adblock coders then :P

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • AdBlock really a good plugin for my Chrome.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: If its a 15 seconds ad, they make you watch it. If its longer, usually within 5 seconds in to the ad you can skip it.

Seriously, I didn't know that. Thanks to Adblock+

edited August 2012

@cosmicgate said: If you have an Indian ip, don't be surprised that your ads are in alien language

How can you both have an Indian IP, and have Hindi as an alien language to you?:p
    Okay maybe you can, but that'd be not a very frequent situation.
    I for one would love my commercials to be in an "alien language", e.g.
    http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXApQyuJXTc
    Beautiful and quality-made, not some local b/s with "people from the street" going on about a shampoo or a washing powder.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@cosmicgate said: They serve the ads according to your geo location.

That's why I never get them. I live in small European country barely possible to find it on map. YT seems not to advertise here.
    I was like "wtf is this.." when I first time opened YT over my US vpn and YT video didn't play instantly :)

• One of traditional language in Indonesia also using symbol like in Indian/Thailand language.
    Are we an alien too? :p

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Are we an alien too? :p

Who would know :S You seems pretty much human to me, but you know... it's hard to be 100% sure over internet :P

/joke

edited August 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: One of traditional language in Indonesia also using symbol like in Indian/Thailand language.

Are we an alien too?

Alien simply means any kind of foreigner: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alien#Noun

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • lbftlbft Member

@rm_ said: How can you both have an Indian IP, and have Hindi as an alien language to you?:p

There are a lot of different languages in use in India beyond Hindi and English. There are more native speakers of Bengali in the world, for example, than there are native speakers of Portuguese or Russian, and there are more native speakers of Punjabi than German.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @GreenVine said: $31 for US price is really high but it is cheap for HK price.

how about Edis real network speed?

Uplink: Gigabit Ethernet?

• @ynzheng said: how about Edis real network speed?

Uplink: Gigabit Ethernet?

I Satisfied its network speed although not gigabit ethernet.

• Despite proxy are there any specific reason to rent a Hongkong VPS?

• @klikli said: Despite proxy are there any specific reason to rent a Hongkong VPS?

there are alot of reason to get a hong kong vps but one of my favorite reason is to sign up QQ with HK ip and meet petite asian chicks.

• @cosmicgate said: there are alot of reason to get a hong kong vps but one of my favorite reason is to sign up QQ with HK ip and meet petite asian chicks.

You're Chinese?
    You can signup QQ International account at anywhere.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2012

@ynzheng said: Uplink: Gigabit Ethernet?

100Mbit shared.

• @William said: 100Mbit shared.

As a customer of EDIS, I think their network is really great that it can access to mainland China quickly.

• i'm just kidding.

I've always wanted to try QQ but the software itself scares me.
    Is there a web version of qq without installing the client on my pc? (most of my apps are cloud based these days, i don;t like installing stuffs on the pc )

• Why there are so many weird people attempting to get Hongkong internet access-_-
    Anyway, QQ has their EyeOS-like thing at http://web.qq.com/. From there you can access QQ chatroom without installing anything whatsoever:)

• @cosmicgate said: i'm just kidding.

I've always wanted to try QQ but the software itself scares me.

Is there a web version of qq without installing the client on my pc? (most of my apps are cloud based these days, i don;t like installing stuffs on the pc )

Yes, there is a Web QQ but it is Chinese version.