Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended VPS Provider to watch Hulu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended VPS Provider to watch Hulu

I've already read this discussion, but my question is a bit different. I'm planning to setup a proxy service to people who've been censored out of US streaming sites like Hulu & Netflix. So I'm currently in the process of evaluating a good low end VPS for testing purposes. I recently bought a VPS from "berry.pw" but after setting up a SOCKS proxy on the VPS, and visiting Hulu.com the videos wouldn't play. It would instead give the message "This video is unavailable at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience. If this error is occurring repeatedly, we may be experiencing technical difficulties. Please visit Hulu Support for more help." I've triple checked all my settings but hulu is detecting something from my US based IP and is blocking the video. I'm certain it's a problem with the VPS IP becuase i've an identical setup at Amazon EC2 and it works like a charm. Also abc.com doesn't work on "Berry.pw" either.

Since I can't be buying VPSes only to realize it's giving IPs that are blacklisted by Hulu.com I was wondering if there'd be anybody who's done this before and can give me some good VPS providers.

My requirement is not to be going for a VPN solution as mentioned in the discussion link I've referenced at the beginning, but to go for a SOCKS proxy. Also the VPS is going to need good throughput to where my customers will be based on (mainly Asian countries)

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Send me the documentation to setup and I can try with the providers I have service with during next week.

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

BuyVM.net worked for me.

Thanked by 1EmperorRXF
  • I do believe i have a fair few netflix/hulu customers using my servers if you want to give it a shot

Thanked by 1EmperorRXF
  • edited January 2015

I can lend you one of my nanovz plans?

Thanked by 1EmperorRXF
  • @MikHo said:
    Send me the documentation to setup and I can try with the providers I have service with during next week.

Thanks a lot for the offer. My setup is rather simple. I'll be using syntax for debian.

Install dante-server on OS (debian, ubuntu, centos or any-nix box)
    apt-get install dante-server

Now modify the dante SOCKS config file at /etc/danted.conf
    nano /etc/danted.conf

Delete the default content on the conf file and paste the below after modifying the internal & external interface adapter IDs

BEGIN - Conf

logoutput: /var/log/danted

internal: eth0 port = 1080 # Use your adapter id here. Use ifconfig to findout the correct id. ex: vnet0, eth0

external: eth0 # Use the adapter id for outgoing traffic, mostly the same as above id

method: username none

user.privileged: root

user.notprivileged: nobody

user.libwrap: nobody

compatibility: sameport

extension: bind

client pass {
    }

pass {
    protocol: tcp udp
    }

END - Conf

please note that we're giving full access to the SOCKS server from outside here. So make sure to take down the server after testing

After saving the config file, start the dante daemon using /etc/init.d/danted start

You can also stop the server using \etc\init.d\danted stop

That's all to do on the box. Now open a browser and change the PROXY settings by giving the external IP address of the box as the SOCKS5 Proxy Address and the PORT you used above (1080)

If you now visit http://www.hulu.com/watch/249837 and if the video starts playing rather than display an unavailable message, then the VPS IP is good!

Thanked by 1mikho
  • Currently I'm using Hudsonvaleyhost in LA, their IP still safe for watching Hulu

Thanked by 1EmperorRXF

@EmperorRXF said:
    If you now visit http://www.hulu.com/watch/249837 and if the video starts playing rather than display an unavailable message, then the VPS IP is good!

Traveling today and will be home very late tonight so I'll try to test it out using some of the providers that I have idleing servers with.

• many thanks @MikHo

• I have paid for a few streaming sites that locked me out once I crossed borders. I tried VPNs and proxy servers, but it was just too much of a hassle, also because the connection to the sites was not so great from some places in the world.

It's the same with DVDs and region codes. Google Play also has regions, based on your SIM card.

Facebook, hotmail and many others force you to verify the phone number of a SIM card you left at home when you are on vacation.

So now I just don't use any sites that do that. :)

• No luck for me using a ton of different CC IP's, quadranet, or goodhosting.

HostUS in Atlanta works though, as well as Crissic and BoltVM (they use crissic ip's).

• Yep, just tasted quadranet (tragicservers). Doesn't work. :(

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@MikHo said:
    Traveling today and will be home very late tonight so I'll try to test it out using some of the providers that I have idleing servers with.

I'm just putting together a script that checks if Hulu is available or not. Would you like me to link you to this once it's complete?

Thanked by 1EmperorRXF
  • How odd that they think they can achieve anything by blocking IPs. :o

• Now I watch Hulu using my delimiter Atom :)

Thanked by 2EmperorRXF netomx

@liamwithers said:
    I'm just putting together a script that checks if Hulu is available or not. Would you like me to link you to this once it's complete?

Yeah, come to think about it, just check if the video loads or not from a vps should be enough.

Thanks.

• @4n0nx said:

So now I just don't use any sites that do that. :)

I get what you mean :( I plan on keeping my socks proxies used only for bypassing the geochecks and then to use regular IP of the client to load the videos from CDNs. so hopefully the speed will be unharmed and proxy IPs will not be continuously connected to the streaming sites.

• @linuxthefish said:
    No luck for me using a ton of different CC IP's, quadranet, or goodhosting.

HostUS in Atlanta works though, as well as Crissic and BoltVM (they use crissic ip's).

sorry to hear that :( and thanks for the heads up!

• @liamwithers said:

I'd be interested in having it as well. thanks!

@EmperorRXF said:
    I get what you mean :( I plan on keeping my socks proxies used only for bypassing the geochecks and then to use regular IP of the client to load the videos from CDNs. so hopefully the speed will be unharmed and proxy IPs will not be continuously connected to the streaming sites.

Thats how you get around Netflix Geo check. Not sure on Hulu.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@MikHo @EmperorRXF @TinyTunnel_Tom

Got a super busy afternoon, so it's only for apt-based systems at the moment. Feel free to commit changes to get it working for CentOS etc. if you wish, if not then I'll get it updated at some point anyway.

GitHub Link

It checks if the Hulu homepage displays the pop-up message stating that Hulu is unavailable in your region. Uses phantomjs (headless webkit), as the pop-up message requires JavaScript to display, and hence won't work with something like curl. If the start of the message is there, it'll state "Hulu unavailable". If the message isn't there, it'll show "Hulu available" - note that it doesn't do any error checking to see if phantomjs is installed etc., so if the install fails it'll still show "Hulu available".

Not sure if Hulu automatically adjusts language according to location etc., so this might not work in languages other than English, however it works from a Netherlands VPS with DigitalOcean - so give it some testing and let me know :).

Usage:

>

Download isHuluAvailable from GitHub - Link

>

run: sh isHuluAvailable.sh

Cheers,

Liam

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @liamwithers

http://s.hulu.com/gc?regions=US,JP&callback=Hulu.Controls.Intl.onGeoCheckResult

That's what it checks via thus phantomjs would just be an overkill for that.

Thanked by 2VPNsh ab1

@Cakey said:
    liamwithers

Sweet. I'll rewrite based upon this, just threw something together that would work for @MikHo :)

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2015

A US VPS with BIND installed is what you want.

I've almost got my bypass up, just need to work on the front end..

I d> @Cakey said:

@liamwithers

I just checked the link from @Cakey using a socks proxy that I know doesn't work with Hulu.
    The link says US = true (which it is).
    But using that same vps when trying to start a movie doesn't work.

Guess that there are more checks that are done.

• @Cakey said:
    liamwithers

What I still can't figure out is how hulu blocks IPs even if the IP is from US and is passes the above test. In my case, berry.pw passes the above but still does not load any free videos on site (I've not checked hulu+). If there's any script that can be used to test if US ip is really blocked from viewing videos and not just the geolocation check, it'd be great!!

• @ATHK said:
    A US VPS with BIND installed is what you want.

I've almost got my bypass up, just need to work on the front end..

That's great ATHK! I assume you're using bind to host your own DNS server which intercepts hulu related DNS requests and forward them from the VPS and ignore all others and just forward to your ISP's DNS.

I'm looking for a proxy (SOCKS) based solution since I'd prefer not to ask my clients to change their DNS settings. Still even the DNS based solution will fail if hulu has blacklisted the VPS ip that's running the DNS server. Which is what I'm looking for now. VPS providers that's so far evaded hulu blacklist.

• NanoVZ

North Carolina location works.

http://nanovz.com

Thanked by 2EmperorRXF desperand
  • edited January 2015

Also Kansas City works

and Los Angeles

Thanked by 1EmperorRXF
  • Wable also work for me.

Thanked by 2EmperorRXF vimalware