Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr (Sydney) No GO - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr (Sydney) No GO

2»

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2015

@trewq said:
    Honestly I have started moving my stuff over to RansomIT ( Oliver ). They are connected to a much better network in Sydney and I have never had a problem. 100% recommend.

<3 Oliver as childish as that is, His service surpasses much of the providers here on LET.

I'm not being bias either because he's a fellow "Aussie" it's just fact.

@DalekOfSkaro

Do it :) , just remember here in the land of Expensive (Australia) certain things like Bandwidth are overpriced compared to the USA. Perhaps team up with @0xdragon he's a great guy, might be busy with his new venture but none the less Oliver or himself will probably point you in the right direction.

• @ATHK said:
    Do it :) , just remember here in the land of Expensive (Australia) certain things like Bandwidth are overpriced compared to the USA. Perhaps team up with 0xdragon he's a great guy, might be busy with his new venture but none the less Oliver or himself will probably point you in the right direction.

Well... Let Me see what I can do :) the bandwidth offer on the VMs won't be as high as our U.S and U.K. We have the most bandwidth in the U.K Actually... 5x more capacity than the U.S. But I'll start negotiating next week!

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited January 2015

@Oliver said:
    DaleyOfSkaro SoftLayer doesn't do colocation in Australia and their Sydney POP isn't operational for dedicated servers yet. They are available in Melbourne only for dedicated servers but their domestic network arrangements are pretty bad for Australians in my experience.

Well, is Mebourne a bad location? And how is it so bad? Can you kindly elaborate before we take any serious action with negotiations?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited January 2015

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Well, is Mebourne a bad location? And how is it so bad? Can you kindly elaborate before we take any serious action with negotiations?

Put a server in Hobart ;)

All SoftLayer bandwidth from Melbourne goes back to Sydney even though almost every ISP and transit providers are in Melbourne too.

• trewq said: All SoftLayer bandwidth from Melbourne goes back to Sydney even though almost every ISP and transit providers are in Melbourne too.

Mhmmm so your routes to speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com are unsatisfactory? Is that what I am to understand?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

To and from. They are aware too.

• trewq said: To and from. They are aware too.

Well... That could very well be a deal breaker.... Would you mind showing me some MTRs/TRs just in case I need to talk to them?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

They are a cold hard business, they really don't care about upsetting 5% of current customers, its not worth the time and effort to deal with it when they can just focus on continuing to get more instances sold.

Not really an LEB/S expectation friendly host, support staff of pretty low grade in terms of ability but again that saves money will concentrating on churn.

Its a good business module, it is essentially DO's little brother with a bad attitude, people are spoiled by the willingness of small hosts to help, frankly Vultr dont have to care so they dont.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited January 2015

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Well... That could very well be a deal breaker.... Would you mind showing me some MTRs/TRs just in case I need to talk to them?

C:\Users\Alexander>tracert  speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com

Tracing route to speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com [168.1.65.244]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  x
      2    29 ms    28 ms    29 ms  x
      3    30 ms    28 ms    28 ms  x
      4    29 ms    28 ms    29 ms  ae5.br1.syd4.on.ii.net [150.101.33.48]
      5    28 ms    28 ms    28 ms  36351.syd.equinix.com [202.167.228.110]
      6    29 ms    33 ms    31 ms  ae7.bbr02.eq01.syd02.networklayer.com [50.97.19.
    61]
      7    41 ms    41 ms    42 ms  ae0.bbr02.nd01.mel02.networklayer.com [50.97.19.
    65]
      8    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  ae6.dar02.mel01.networklayer.com [50.97.19.79]
      9    42 ms    42 ms    41 ms  po2.fcr01b.mel01.networklayer.com [168.1.118.137
    ]
     10    43 ms    43 ms    42 ms  speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com [168.1.65.244]

Trace complete.

• Tracing route to speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com [168.1.65.244]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  -
      2    10 ms    10 ms     9 ms  -
      3     9 ms    13 ms    13 ms  -

4     9 ms    18 ms    15 ms  58.160.7.238
      5    11 ms    15 ms     9 ms  bundle-ether4.win-edge902.melbourne.telstra.net
    [203.50.76.8]
      6    10 ms     9 ms     9 ms  sof1522605.lnk.telstra.net [139.130.197.158]
      7    14 ms     9 ms     9 ms  ae6.dar02.mel01.networklayer.com [50.97.19.79]
      8    10 ms    11 ms    10 ms  po2.fcr01b.mel01.networklayer.com [168.1.118.137
    ]
      9    12 ms     9 ms     7 ms  speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com [168.1.65.244]

Trace complete.

From Melbourne to melbourne, t'would be nice to have a nice and close VPS with 9ms pings :)

• @Rhys_quadex

Your pings look great!

@0xdragon Is 42ms too high? I'm not familiar with Aussie routing tbh with you...

• For a server in the same city I'd expect pings of < 2ms.

• This is Australia, i live about 10KM from the city anyway and i've got just about the best household connection other than a few lucky bastards who actually got fibre...

(Fuck the liberals.)

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Rhys_quadex

Your pings look great!

0xdragon Is 42ms too high? I'm not familiar with Aussie routing tbh with you...

It's all copper, so that's decent. Also willing to help out if you need :)

@kcaj said:
    For a server in the same city I'd expect pings of < 2ms.

You're not going to get 2ms to the exchange, let alone to a server in the same city.

• @0xdragon said:
    You're not going to get 2ms to the exchange, let alone to a server in the same city.

It's certainly possible in some UK cities.

• @kcaj said:

'Strrraaayyyaa mate.

• @kcaj said:

Yes, where each city is a stone's throw away..

Come on mate..

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @0xdragon we should Skype :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • The trip that pretty much everyone in England would complain bitterly about.

A minor road-trip in a dusty Ute for Aussies.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • @DalekOfSkaro said:
    0xdragon we should Skype :)

Send me your Skype ID and we can chat :)

• Done. I'll be on in 20~ or so.

• Reminding me of visiting relatives, driving for 14 Hours+ From smelbourne to the middle of SA.

• @ATHK said:
    Come on mate..

I'm not talking city to city, I'm talking traffic within the same city.

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited January 2015

kcaj said: I'm not talking city to city, I'm talking traffic within the same city.

Yeah, 5ms should get you across a city and through a couple of transit providers & all the associated routing. This is ISP POP/ Gateway to another network gateway..... an ADSL service usually adds 10-20ms dependent on backhaul and congestion within your ISP (iiNode, I am looking at you - lns20.syd7 especially - 24ms is useless)

Depends on a few things, but generally you can bank on that. Where they peer via an IX, it's far, far less.

This whole question in Rhys' case is that he is on Telstra and they peer with nobody, so if Softlayer did peer with an IX in Melbourne then he would still bounce to Sydney anyway.

Thanked by 2J1021 SplitIce
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

Remember too not all cities are the size of Melbourne/Sydney/Adelaide. I am originally from country Victoria I am quite familiar with seeing 70-90ms round trips between ADSL services located only ~10km apart (going via Sydney, or rarely Brisbane if TPG was acting up).

It is sad, but I don't see it changing. Maybe NBN being more standardised will do something to help (e.g cheap local interconnects for traffic in the same exchange) to solve it, but more than likely it will remain down to the individual ISPs peering agreements. Which will be likely primarily in Sydney.

• NBN is dead, something about telstra getting a little too involved...

• Just thought i'd share the bullshit support tickets

Here is when i first ask for reimbursement:
    note that they refer me to a billing depart, luckily for them it was a friday or saturday afternoon.

This second Ticket is the one they reffered me two which is where i described the network issues and again they tell me to wait for billing...

And here is where @daveA said he would add credits WHICH HE HASNT.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2015

I decided to give them a go, deployed the $70 a month priced plan 4CPU 8GRAM etc.

Took over 30 minutes for the deployment, I had to contact support as the server was suck in pending.. not a good start.

The "initial" password didn't work U(buntu 14.04) easy fix with the VNC console thingamabob.

I was charged $0.11 before the server had even finished being deployed.

As I said Ubuntu was my OS choice, I installed a few things using apt-get, my max speed was fluctuating between 600 and 900 KB/s...

I installed steamcmd and attempted to download server files for a game... Let's just say I destroyed the instance before it even each 7 percent..

I will take my hat off for Winston, for being helpful as he did quickly answer and fix the pending issue.

I'm disappointed I put $5 on this using the SSDVPS coupon for $25 credit in total the $20 only lasts 30 days and I doubt I'll be able to even use it since the speed was so terrible..

All in all I highly doubt I'll use them again and will be asking for my $5 back. I know I'm cheap but that's not the point the service was not as advertised or even useable really.