Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Unlimited bandwidth is a MUST for a VPN Service? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you think Unlimited bandwidth is a MUST for a VPN Service?

Comments

• @kcaj said:
    Unlimited data for mobile handset use remains truly unlimited.

You can still have an unlimited tether with clockworkmod and a vpn. Problem is you have to connect your phone direct to your pc. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a working wifi equivalent, otherwise that'd be perfect

• sc754 said: You can still have an unlimited tether with clockworkmod and a vpn. Problem is you have to connect your phone direct to your pc. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a working wifi equivalent, otherwise that'd be perfect

Ofcourse there are software workarounds for some phones.

• kcaj said: Tethering was previously unlimited on some plans but that's now been revised. 3 are in the process of contacting customers on grandfathered plans with unlimited tethering when they're up for renewal and giving them the option to either switch to a new plan or leave.

They just cut it off for me, told me it was offered as an unadvertised extra previously (which is entirely true) and that they had to turn it off due to abuse.

• Guys please stay on the topic of the discussion, I would like to hear opinions about what I asked and not about 3G/4G Mobile bandwidth limits, thanks

• Nekki said: They just cut it off for me, told me it was offered as an unadvertised extra previously (which is entirely true) and that they had to turn it off due to abuse.

Ah, I didn't know they were handling it like that - been a while since I've read up on it.

It has been advertised in places and their executive team know it too.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Felipe said:
    Guys please stay on the topic of the discussion, I would like to hear opinions about what I asked and not about 3G/4G Mobile bandwidth limits, thanks

Whilst mobile data limits may not be relevant, it may be worth your while to research bandwidth limits on broadband providers likely to be used by your main clientbase.

Obviously many ISP's are removing limits, however there's still a large amount that limit clients to, say 500GB/month or similar and you may want to take this into consideration when setting up your service.

One thing is for certain, you will inevitably end up having more abusers with an "unlimited" service.

• liamwithers said: 500GB/month

O.o I have 30MB mobile data. :(

• I would suggest 200G ~ 300G /month in US, which is pretty much the common traffic cap for the most ISPs, including Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

• I easily use 300 GB/month on mine -- 20GB is really nothing.... especially for that price...

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@kendid said:
    I easily use 300 GB/month on mine -- 20GB is really nothing.... especially for that price...

On a VPN or just your connection in general? OP is wanting to know how much is reasonable for a VPN connection, so I'm guessing the assumption is that you won't use it for your entire connection and just for some of your traffic.

• Nekki said: If you want a bit of tethering, 4GB will cost you an additional £3 a month.

I've used over 20gb on tethering without paying any extra?

• @liamwithers said:
    On a VPN or just your connection in general? OP is wanting to know how much is reasonable for a VPN connection, so I'm guessing the assumption is that you won't use it for your entire connection and just for some of your traffic.

I run everything through openvpn on my router, unless I'm torrenting....

• linuxthefish said: I've used over 20gb on tethering without paying any extra?

Maybe you have some nifty grandfathered plan that actually included the tethering as part of your bundle in that case, there are always the odd 'special deal out there' - I still have a
    phone plan with 300 minutes and 300 texts from a 'pay up-front for life' plan from BT Cellnet than transferred to O2 as part of the sale of their mobile business. The only kicker is that O2 won't let me move it to a smaller sim or enable 3G data on the plan, so it's in an old batphone I keep for emergencies.

Felipe said: Guys please stay on the topic of the discussion, I would like to hear opinions about what I asked and not about 3G/4G Mobile bandwidth limits, thanks

Discussion is organic, and threads will naturally spin out of conversation. You do not 'own' your thread and decide what can and cannot be discussed. If discussion is getting out of hand and going down the wrong path, a moderator will deal with it appropriately.

That said, I think you're actually being a little short-sighted in your dismissal of this particular thread; mobile operators (in the UK at least) in particular seem pretty happy to comply with requests for information, so I'd have thought plans tailored for heavy mobile users (who would likely still be light-usage compared to the desktop crowd) would be a potential market for you to look into?

• @Felipe : Launch a limited service !!!!!!!! and try with it. No one is sure of how market reacts. So make a plan and execute it. Do not sit and post threads, like this - how will you launch it? Chill on plans. Make some diff plans. Make some maths. Get ur margins...START !!!

• I'm paying nothing for 5000 text messages and 1GB data per month :D

For calling, I pay around 0,05/min which is automatically being paid on the last day of the month.

• @Felipe said:

@TheKiller said: It should be 200GB/month for the $15/month.> Did you misspelled 15/month right?

I really like this comment.. Just proves you don't know much about pricing and it makes you seem like a money grabber.

200GB for $15 is still too much IMO.

• Back on topic! I get "unlimited" calls and SMS Virgin to Virgin in Aust + 1GB data for just $20 AUD a month.

Fine print is 3000 SMS a month fair use apparently, which is a shit load.

• @ATHK said:
    Back on topic! I get "unlimited" calls and SMS Virgin to Virgin in Aust + 1GB data for just $20 AUD a month.

I get no calls, no texts, but 1GB Data for $10/mth. I wish there was a data only provider with tiny prices..

• @0xdragon said:
    I get no calls, no texts, but 1GB Data for $10/mth. I wish there was a data only provider with tiny prices..

In the wrong country for that buddy.

• @ATHK said:
    In the wrong country for that buddy.

America, here I come!

• @ATHK said:

Some people have managed to genuinely hit such limits! I have still have the statement reporting my use of ~12,000 texts one month.

• @0xdragon said:
    America, here I come!

UK is prettier ;)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @kcaj said:
    Some people have managed to genuinely hit such limits! I have still have the statement reporting my use of ~12,000 texts one month.

What the actual heck. What were you doing, SMS bombing someone?

• @0xdragon said:

This is the only explanation..

• @0xdragon said:

No, it was genuine use. I had unlimited texts, no idea I had used that many until the statement came.

Thinking about it, that's only ~30 texts every hour for 12 hours a day.

• Just offer as much bandwidth you can promise. Most people won't be using them anyways.

• Nekki said: f you want a bit of tethering, 4GB will cost you an additional £3 a month.

You could do that, but I just tether with a VPN on my MacBook and Three doesn't disconnect/charge me - I push about 30GB/month alone on tethering per month without any issue.

• just do what tons of companies do, advertise unlimited and terminate anyone who actually tries to use it.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • for me, just keep the pricing scheme simple. dont overthink

• @Nekki said:That said, I think you're actually being a little short-sighted in your dismissal of this particular thread; mobile operators (in the UK at least) in particular seem pretty happy to comply with requests for information, so I'd have thought plans tailored for heavy mobile users (who would likely still be light-usage compared to the desktop crowd) would be a potential market for you to look into?

That is a really really good point, I'll sure add that to my to-do list, thanks for the feedback @Nekki :)