Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Browsing massive online storage backup solutions, do you trust any of these? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Browsing massive online storage backup solutions, do you trust any of these?

2»

Comments

• @pbgben said:
    tests yet? What pros/cons are there for the Hubic platform?

I got the linux client to work, that said, it works, I dont know if its anything to brag about yet.. it wasn't easy getting it to work either, they say it works with mono 2.10.x, but I had to compile 3.x to get it to work with the ssl certs

• @kcaj said:
    I wouldn't ever store content on an Online service without maintaining a local copy or atleast a copy with a different provider.

I use BackBlaze which keeps backup of all of my local content. It's currently holding 1TB for me and allows me to use my own key.

I decided to use Blaze for my iMac, and HubiC for my linux boxen, Im ok with Blaze at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be uploading at full speed even though thats what I set it to, says 69 days to upload my iMac and my 3TB external... which is quite a few days...

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    To be completely honest with you, when it comes to things like that, I'd rather use R1Soft for Windows/Linux and host a server either at home or at the datacenter.

I'm not saying the folks at any of these companies are dishonest, I'm just skeptical. Even dropbox does not hold any of my sensitive data.

It would cost way to much money to host the amount of data I am trying to backup, my one linux nas is 12TB, and thats only the beginning...

I am going to end up with 2 HubiC accounts it looks like, although, I did see one that caught my eye the other day when I was disappointed in Blaze's speed,

• jeffreylroberts said: I decided to use Blaze for my iMac, and HubiC for my linux boxen, Im ok with Blaze at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be uploading at full speed even though thats what I set it to, says 69 days to upload my iMac and my 3TB external... which is quite a few days...

What's your connection speed? What upload speeds are you seeing to BackBlaze?

From the UK, I see upload speeds of around ~20Mb/s on my 100Mb/s line.

I am about 165ms away though, their only data centre facility is located in California. It took me about a week to do my initial backup with my Mac on 24/7. I think once the initial backup is done, upload speeds of 20Mb/s for me isn't a big deal.

Before switching to BackBlaze I was using LiveDrive. Their only data centre facility is located in London, less than 10ms away from me. Again, I only saw upload speeds peeking at 30Mb/s but it could vary at peak times. The service was horrid though, the software would randomly see anything up to 250GB of content as gone and thus delete it from their servers before spending hours backing it all up again. LiveDrive can't handle incremental changes/backups, BackBlaze can. I also read bad reviews about LiveDrive, kicking clients that were using too much "unlimited" disk space. I haven't heard anything similar about BackBlaze and so for me, BackBlaze is the perfect solution and hasn't given me any trouble yet.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2015

I've personally been using Backblaze for I think three years now. I don't have any complaints, but I have only used it for small restores here and there, I have yet to need it for a large restore. I backup I think 9TB or so with Backblaze, I could certainly do more, but that 9TB is just important stuff mostly.

I also used Hubic for a while with hubicfuse to mess around, I have no real complaints for Hubic itself, however hubicfuse could certainly use some work. I ended up canceling my Hubic account since I wasn't making much use of it. I'm thinking about maybe using it again since I want to move to linux for my main OS at home at some point, and Backblaze doesn't support linux. I suspect that Backblaze doesn't want to support linux so people don't try to backup their NAS and servers with them, since they support OSX they can't honestly pretend there is any reason why a linux client isn't doable. I don't really blame them, their service seems aimed at desktop users, and I suppose as it is now most desktop users are using Windows or OSX. Anyway, considering using Hubic again regardless as an extra backup.

Edit: Also, don't jump on this or anything, but when I was one of their OVH world tour things, the keynote showed off a hubic offer adding an extra zero to their largest offer, 100TB for 10EUR/m. I later asked their VP of sales/marketing Alexandre Morel at the event if that was a mistake. He checked into it and told me they had plans to improve the offer to 100TB at some point in the future. He didn't give me any date or anything, but he just said it wasn't a mistake. Knowing OVH, they could have scraped this idea, or maybe it was just misinformation internally, so I'm waiting to see if that happens as well.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

There is a hubicfuse "program" to help mounting on linux.

To further my tests, I have been syncing 1.2TB of data and the upload speed fluctuates allover the place (Regardless of file size)

They may be throttling, or over-sharing the bandwidth. These tests are from within the OVH RBX datacenter.

• wych said: but I like being in control.

I see.