Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Browsing massive online storage backup solutions, do you trust any of these?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Browsing massive online storage backup solutions, do you trust any of these?

edited December 2014 in General

I am wondering how much the community trusts these vendors, I want to make sure that whatever company I go with, is going to still be here three years from now, also want to make sure that the company isn't going to pull the plug on the offer as I have come across a few articles where companies have...

I like this one the best so far, as it is OVH, and 10TB is about twice as much as I need, so there is room to grow...

https://hubic.com/en/offers/

However, the following two are enticing as well, they are half the price, for "unlimited"

https://www.backblaze.com/

http://www.carbonite.com/

Let me know what you all think =]

Comments

• hubic is very nice but because its openstack based, it doesn't handle things like renaming or moving files a very different way, which makes it hard/slow to work with large files directly (e.g. via hubicfuse etc.)...

you can easily try 100GB hubic for a month for a single dollar and remove the account if it doesn't fit your needs.

(I didn't try the other two by now, so nothing mor to say ;-))

• Personally no, but I like being in control.

• That's a good call to try them out and see how they perform, any thoughts on the company itself?

• I have several services with OVH, so I trust hubic as one of them as far as I trust OVH... ;-)

They're a big player at least in europe and I do think they're more reliable and trustworthy than a lot of other companies. They're never hiding company infos, sla, tos, whois or any other legal information like a lot of businesses are doing - even around here.
    but probably everyone's in charge by themselves for their data and security...

(they are registered business in germany too, so if something goes terribly wrong, I may have the chance to sue them locally ;-))

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited December 2014

Falzo said: (they are registered business in germany too, so if something goes terribly wrong, I may have the chance to sue them locally ;-))

Incorrect, you have to sue the company you're dealing with. So if you deal with OVH FR you sue OVH FR. They're seperate company's. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited December 2014

Floris said: Incorrect, you have to sue the company you're dealing with. So if you deal with OVH FR you sue OVH FR. They're seperate company's. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I would've thought this was correct too, seen as everything you get is billed, labelled with OVH FR. I'm not a lawyer or a law-expert although I know the person being sued pays in Germany, I don't see how that's fair? I'm not sure if that applies in France, UK though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I just finished clearing out my old external hard drives full of video footage on to hubic. Service has some mild imperfections but it functions. Mobile app displays 25GB total despite upgrade, but still lets me upload to it.

• Floris said: Incorrect, you have to sue the company you're dealing with. So if you deal with OVH FR you sue OVH FR. They're seperate company's. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

yes, you are right! one have to sue the one who he's dealing with...

if I take a look at my invoices I am dealing with:

OVH GmbH
    Dudweiler Landstraße 5
    66123 Saarbrücken

which is clearly a german business ;-)

beside of that I am in no way concerned, that I ever will come to the point in needing anything like that. just wanted to make clear, that it's a big point in trustworthiness for me to know about. at least this way they have to and are complying with german laws more than others do...

• @Jar said:
    I just finished clearing out my old external hard drives full of video footage on to hubic. Service has some mild imperfections but it functions. Mobile app displays 25GB total despite upgrade, but still lets me upload to it.

Any imperfections I should be worried about?

I grabbed their trial this morning to give them a try, their linux client was a fail on centos, I posted a question to the forum, hopefully it will be resolved quickly, if it is, I think thats who I am going to go with, at least for my linux machine, possibly my desktop as well

I did a bit of research on backblaze, they have been around for a fairly long time, and seem to be a reputable company, so I am leaning towards them for the desktop, but I think they only allow you to sync, not nesc upload arbitrary files, which I do want to do, I am going to give the trials of both of those a shot and see how they work out

Have any of you considered using one of these services for VPS/Dedi backups?

• @jeffreylroberts said:
    Have any of you considered using one of these services for VPS/Dedi backups?

yes I did, but as mentioned above handling of large files (like complete VM-images) doesn't work out that good. rsync isn't really an option too, cause of the openstack filesystem lacking some necessary features to do such things properly.

please don't misunderstand, that is nothing wrong with hubic itself. it's related to the technology their system is based on.

so before considering some other services for vps/dedi backups I would look further into underlying technology used...

Thanked by 1jeffreylroberts
  • Hubic client is broken, I switched everything to a new folder and it created a second copy of everything. -.-
    Also limited to 10 mbit/s.

• @4n0nx said:

not if you use paid service and connect it within ovh-network. I had it setup and connected via hubicfuse to a runabove sandbox instance... this worked like a charm and had been very speedy.

I just played around with this and e.g. tried to backup proxmox-VMs directly to this (mounted the dir on proxmox via sshfs), which worked good until it got to the point that all was uploaded but should be renamed.

renaming for openstack is done in copying the file internally to a new file with other name, which is caused by the architecture of openstack and can't be done in any other way.
    with a 20 GB image this took a lot of time...

so, like you mentioned on switching everything to a new folder = copying all, this is nothing broken, but openstack related.

• Falzo said: so, like you mentioned on switching everything to a new folder = copying all, this is nothing broken, but openstack related.

It's broken after my logic. :p

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Any imperfections I should be worried about?

All cosmetic that I've seen. The one I mentioned is mildly annoying but I can get over it. The other is that I access and pay on an English page and receive purely French emails. Just little insignificant things.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Falzo said: so, like you mentioned on switching everything to a new folder = copying all, this is nothing broken, but openstack related.

Yeah a lot of limitations like this. In my case I had a problem of Hubicfuse just uploading everything twice. The cause turned out to be that I was trying to use EncFS on top of Hubic, and EncFS tried to update some small metadata bits at the beginning of an already existing file, which is a big no-no with this storage technology. (The solution was to use the reverse mode of EncFS).

However the price for 10 TB is certainly right, also I haven't faced any noticeable speed limit, so if you try hard enough you certainly can find a way to use it, at least for storing or backing up large and infrequently modified data (such as a collection of home video or other media).

• Backblaze only support Windows & Mac, can't support any *nix

• @4n0nx said:
    Hubic client is broken, I switched everything to a new folder and it created a second copy of everything. -.-

I'd say that is unexpected behavior for sure, something to def keep in mind, it def makes me pause, I have a ton of data, I couldnt imagine renaming the root directory which contains 4TB, lol, I'd have to screen that session for sure

• @rm_ said:
    However the price for 10 TB is certainly right, also I haven't faced any noticeable speed limit, so if you try hard enough you certainly can find a way to use it, at least for storing or backing up large and infrequently modified data (such as a collection of home video or other media).

That's what im saying, 10TB for 10 bucks, can't beat it, and the fact that there is a hard limit means to me, compared to unlimited plans, they cant come back and say its against their acceptable use, 10TB is 10TB no matter how you spin it

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

@jeffreylroberts said:
    Its a decent price and im sure they arn't going anywhere. Have you done any performance

tests yet? What pros/cons are there for the Hubic platform?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Backblaze is fantastic. 'nuff said.

• Falzo said: not if you use paid service and connect it within ovh-network.

So...say you mount Hubic from a OVH machine or VPS, the speed you can have between Hubic and your VPS will be the internal speed of their network rather than 10Mbit/s? Am I getting it wrong?

BTW, with the same way you can mount Onedrive (dirt cheap if you are a student or you dare to buy account from random Chinese resellers with God-only-know what the heck their source is), but it is said the onedrive-fuse is kinds of broken, and you have
    a 10GB single file size limit(I mean, WTF...). Price can be as low as $10/5 users/yr. No p**n allowed, sadly :-D

Google Drive have the same trick, and you will have less limit(single file >=5T) regarding to the file size or whatever if you trust Google. This is not expensive compared to Hubic: $50/5 persons/month, but first you would need to find the other 4 persons to share the cost, and it do requires trust: the admin can simply delete everyone's account and fly away, leaving 4 idiots who had lost his grandparents' very last photo permanently.

• I wouldn't ever store content on an Online service without maintaining a local copy or atleast a copy with a different provider.

I use BackBlaze which keeps backup of all of my local content. It's currently holding 1TB for me and allows me to use my own key.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@cnbeining said:
    Google Drive have the same trick, and you will have less limit(single file >=5T) regarding to the file size or whatever if you trust Google. This is not expensive compared to Hubic: $50/5 persons/month, but first you would need to find the other 4 persons to share the cost, and it do requires trust: the admin can simply delete everyone's account and fly away, leaving 4 idiots who had lost his grandparents' very last photo permanently.
    @cnbeining said:
    @cnbeining said:

I just tested from an OVH server, Im uploading at 21MB(160mbit) via the Hubic desktop app on windows (I like it more than Dropbox)

• cnbeining said: So...say you mount Hubic from a OVH machine or VPS, the speed you can have between Hubic and your VPS will be the internal speed of their network rather than 10Mbit/s?

this.

I can't tell you exact numbers anymore, but if I remember correctly i've seen something aroung 35MB/s... (yes, MB/s not Mbit/s) actually can't test anymore, as said I got rid of it, because of other limitations described above.

• hotsnow said: Backblaze only support Windows & Mac, can't support any *nix

Shame they don't let the client run on Windows Server 2008, would of come in handy for a Plex library back up.

• Just tested MEGAFUSE with Vultr768@LA.

Upload speed 360~500K.

Well....just treat it like a free GVH box :-D

Don't know whether Google would do better.

• I've looked at most of these services myself, but often the problem is poor upload speed.
    One did however look really nice; Jottacloud.com and allowed me (and a lot of others which also had very poor speeds with other hosts) to get full speed.

But their support seems non-existent.. I just can't get in touch with them and their payment provider has reported an error for weeks now.. I don't think they care anymore.

• To be completely honest with you, when it comes to things like that, I'd rather use R1Soft for Windows/Linux and host a server either at home or at the datacenter.

I'm not saying the folks at any of these companies are dishonest, I'm just skeptical. Even dropbox does not hold any of my sensitive data.

• Can I use hubic for my plex library files if I mount them over hubicfuse to one of my kimsufi?

This would be awesome!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Baris Hubic Linux client was pretty crap, it dosen't worked well and dam slow.