Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fighting Spam from LET users. Is it worth it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fighting Spam from LET users. Is it worth it?

Comments

• @4n0nx said:
    I would never send my ID to anyone. I hate artificial restrictions and sometimes send more than 250 mails in an hour or 500 mails in a day for perfectly legitimate reasons.

Of course I do not represent all customers on this planet.

Closed smtp port, that will be opened - without restrictions - once requested, is fine.
    Verified PayPal is fine.
    Maxmind is fine, but I would hate to have my order rejected just because I am temporarily overseas.
    Fraudrecord should be illegal, because providers can claim anything about an inconvenient customer. Providers do not even mention it in their ToS and I bet they could get sued for a lot of money because of that.

OVH called me to verify that I am real. Fine with me.

FraudRecord is just one line of defense though. I only reject orders with a really high FR score. Otherwise, a manual verification will suffice. If I called you personally and ensured that your order was legitimate, I would gladly accept your order. I don't know of anyone who rejects based off of just one FR score.

@ucxo said:
    If you're going to implement mail rate limiting, you could take a look at VPSDime for reference in how many mails to allow:

Your VPS is configured to send a maximum of 50 emails per hour. If you have justification, please open a ticket and we'll raise this limit for you.

Great idea. I'll go ahead and do this. Very low initial email limiting that can be raised. Probably better than completely blocking it.

• Jonchun said: Very low initial email limiting that can be raised. Probably better than completely blocking it.

I don't know how this works, couldn't a spammer just use a different port?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

4n0nx said: I don't know how this works, couldn't a spammer just use a different port?

Most mail servers only accept incoming mail on port 25. The limit thus would be on outgoing connections to port 25, not incoming connections.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Block port 25. Anyone who needs to send mail can always hook up a service like MailGun or MailJet (hey, they have free packages!).

• deadbeef said: Anyone who needs to send mail can always hook up a service like MailGun or MailJ

Why would I want to use mailgun when the VPS I pay money for should be able to do it?

Thanked by 2Mark_R aglodek
  • @4n0nx said:
    Why would I want to use mailgun when the VPS I pay money for should be able to do it?

Who says it should?

• @deadbeef said:
    Who says it should?

I do and so does my VPS provider. I pay for a VPS, not a second mother.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @4n0nx said:
    I do and so does my VPS provider. I pay for a VPS, not a second mother.

Exactly, you're paying for a VPS. And those things have TOSs. Do you also go around fighting with those who don't allow IRC servers for example? Or is IRC something YOUR vps should not be able to do?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Jonchun https://vpsboard.com/topic/5947-outgoing-spam-filtering/

Sorry no LET comparable thread yet, would prefer to keep it all in the same place.

• deadbeef said: Exactly, you're paying for a VPS. And those things have TOSs. Do you also go around fighting with those who don't allow IRC servers for example? Or is IRC something YOUR vps should not be able to do?

All my VPS's are able to do anything. If you settle for less...

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2014

@4n0nx said:
    All my VPS's are able to do anything. If you settle for less...

I'm sure they have unlimited bandwidth as well because you wouldn't settle for less. Good luck. I have a 10 million email list to sell you.

• @deadbeef said:
    I'm sure they have unlimited bandwidth as well because you wouldn't settle for less. Good luck.

Yeah and they also have unlimited HDD and CPU. Stop being childish.

• @4n0nx said:
    Yeah and they also have unlimited HDD and CPU. Stop being childish.

What, you mean you buy VPSs that don't do anything you want because there are limits on those things? The sky is falling! In a while, they won't even let you send emails...

• deadbeef said: What, you mean you buy VPSs that don't do anything you want because there are limits on those things? The sky is falling! In a while, they won't even let you send emails...

Like I said: If you settle for less...

• @4n0nx said:
    Like I said: If you settle for less...

I'll spell it out for you: What you settle for is irrelevant because having to settle implies you're on the short end of the stick. The provider is the one who decides what to offer and whatever he choses to is the legitimate thing. That's why they write the TOS and not the clients.
    Of course, different providers provide different things according to their business focus and one can choose what provider suits him best.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The best thing to remember is not to listen to what over opinionated people have to say on this matter. If you can't protect your business, you can't provide the service you guaranteed to your paying, legitimate clients. Do what you need to do to take care of your clients. Someone is ALWAYS going to disagree with how you do it.

Thanked by 2Jonchun mikho
  • deadbeef said: I'll spell it out for you: What you settle for is irrelevant because having to settle implies you're on the short end of the stick. The provider is the one who decides what to offer and whatever he choses to is the legitimate thing. That's why they write the TOS and not the clients. Of course, different providers provide different things according to their business focus and one can choose what provider suits him best.

I'll spell it out for you: I pay for a server and what I do with it is my business. I am the one who decides what to buy and I don't settle for a minor product. Unlike you.

edited December 2014

@4n0nx said:
    I'll spell it out for you: I pay for a server and what I do with it is my business. I am the one who decides what to buy and I don't settle for a minor product. Unlike you.

No you're not. You only like to think you do to compensate for lacking on a critical department (see? I can do the passive aggressive personal bullshit you've been doing in your posts too).

What you (and every buyer) actually do, is choose from an array of options the providers decide to offer. It's the providers who are putting the offers on the table and it's their rules. You dance.

• deadbeef said: No you're not. You only like to think you do to compensate for lacking on a critical department (see? I can do the passive aggressive personal bullshit you've been doing in your posts too).

What you (and every buyer) actually do, is choose from an array of options the providers decide to offer. It's the providers who are putting the offers on the table and it's their rules. You dance.

More like you dance. If you are already so used to unnecessary restrictions...

• @4n0nx said:
    More like you dance. If you are already so used to unnecessary restrictions...

Is that really the best you could come up at this point?

Keyword: unnecessary. You're not the one who decides what's necessary for every provider. Why? Already covered, you need to go through it again (rather more than again, but then... make sure to use a trampoline so that you avoid tail recursion stack overflow).

• You two have derailed the thread enough I think. Take it to PM if you want to continue bashing each other.

Thanked by 2Mark_R aglodek
  • deadbeef said: Is that really the best you could come up at this point?

Keyword: unnecessary. You're not the one who decides what's necessary for every provider.

I do, because they want my money. You just throw yours at anyone.

• @4n0nx said:
    I do, because they want my money. You just throw yours at anyone.

And in exchange for your money THEY choose what to offer you. As for MY money, yes, I have so much, I throw it away, that's why I'm on LET and not BillionaireLoungeTalk.

And I agree with @sleddog, I won't respond to you any more.

• deadbeef said: And in exchange for your money THEY choose what to offer you. As for MY money, yes, I have so much, I throw it away, that's why I'm on LET and not BillionaireLoungeTalk.

And I agree with @sleddog, I won't respond to you any more.

Well then, have fun being victimized while paying the same as me.

Apt-get purge deadbeef

edited December 2014

I twat I thaw a silly cat. I did, I did thaw a silly cat!

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited December 2014

@deadbeef said:
    I twat I thaw a silly cat. I did, I did thaw a silly cat!

@4n0nx said:
    Apt-get purge deadbeef

You pay for a service. The terms of service are included in what you pay for. End of discussion. You can leave my thread now.

• @Jonchun said:

If you don't want opinions and discussions, maybe you shouldn't ask in a forum. Your terms won't help you, if no one buys your services.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Unfortunately while many people on the LET/LEB forums are good guys, there are many bad eggs around here. Probably attracted by the low prices, and hence cheap services which can be thrown away when suspended. Probably chargebacked too.

Its really the cost to doing business in this area. @4n0nx even if you are a "good egg" (unknown) there are many abusers out there. And it affects everyone, regardless of the form (chargebacks / spam / fraud / etc). I am sure you wouldn't appreciate the IP you got on your VPS being blacklisted, you would probably leave in that case too - so try to keep that in mind.

Slightly Offtopic Rant; We actually did an announcement here last night, we don't normally even advertise outside of my signature here. IDS activations all night (DDoS Attacks), pretty much every type known to man. Even exceeded 100Gbps in the US alone at one point (we did remain online however). Sigh....

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited December 2014

@4n0nx said:
    If you don't want opinions and discussions, maybe you shouldn't ask in a forum. Your terms won't help you, if no one buys your services.

I wanted opinions RELATED TO THE TOPIC from possible clients and fellow vps host owners. Not a 12 year old ranting about unrelated material.

@SplitIce said:
    Unfortunately while many people on the LET/LEB forums are good guys, there are many bad eggs around here. Probably attracted by the low prices, and hence cheap services which can be thrown away when suspended. Probably chargebacked too.

Its really the cost to doing business in this area. 4n0nx even if you are a "good egg" (unknown) there are many abusers out there. And it affects everyone, regardless of the form (chargebacks / spam / fraud / etc). I am sure you wouldn't appreciate the IP you got on your VPS being blacklisted, you would probably leave in that case too - so try to keep that in mind.

Slightly Offtopic Rant; We actually did an announcement here last night, we don't normally even advertise outside of my signature here. IDS activations all night (DDoS Attacks), pretty much every type known to man. Even exceeded 100Gbps in the US alone at one point (we did remain online however). Sigh....

Jeez. 100Gbps? Attacks are becoming ridiculous nowadays...

• @SplitIce said:
    Its really the cost to doing business in this area. 4n0nx even if you are a "good egg" (unknown) there are many abusers out there. And it affects everyone, regardless of the form (chargebacks / spam / fraud / etc). I am sure you wouldn't appreciate the IP you got on your VPS being blacklisted, you would probably leave in that case too - so try to keep that in mind.

Yes yes. Like I said: Call me, maxmind me, PayPal only, no refunds, yearly payment,, but pls no restrictions.

Crissic for example allows a maximum of 400 mails in a day. For life. It doesn't matter if you have been a customer for 1023848 years without incident. To me that is a counterproductive restriction.

Jonchun said: I wanted opinions from possible clients and fellow vps host owners. Not a 12 year old.

Who would want a server from someone who labels others 12 year olds when he runs out of arguments?