Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions to people who live in China (VPS/VPN) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions to people who live in China (VPS/VPN)

2»

Comments

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited December 2014

@Nyr said:
    Cost. This seems to be very important for most Chinese customers and many times, the only considered factor. There are many $5/year VPS offers in the US, but not in Hong Kong ;)

beg to differ, been hanging in another china vps chatroom for a while, they are looking for ways to get stable connection, to think they are cheapo is quite wrong as many of them have tones of vps on hand. Some of the goods ones that they use are often not available in le* range.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • I am a Hongkonger, one of the freaking most expensive thing in Hong Kong is bandwidth. No matter how good you pay, you always get things like $21/mo for 512MB or less.

Here is some of the names you could search for region of Hong Kong: PacHosting, Ximbo, SunnyVision, 01link, Timway, UHost, NetHub Online, etc.

Most importantly, they barely do monthly payments, most of them requires an annual payment.

Thanked by 2dcc haphan
  • Well, VPS in HK and SG that actually have good connectivity to Mainland China (can do at least 50Mbps or above during peak hours) usually cost sometime like $20+/month.

• webflierwebflier Member
    edited December 2014

I have a good connectivity Singapore vps for GFW bypass. But I also got a US VPS (which is your BandwagonHost, @dcc ) dedicated for hulu and nexflix.

Direct connection from China to US is not stable, especially in recent months. I have to make a stunnel chain to get to my US proxy through my Singapore node.

One other thing for people in China use US VPS/VPN is for oversea shopping.
    Their is a huge difference in price when you visit A & F website with a US IP and a foreign IP, and many e-sellers don't make deals with non-US IP visitors.

• @_lei said:
    Hey,I living in China.
    HK and Singapore is toooooooooooo expecsive, $5+/m .
    In USA , i can got $5/y.

What about Macau? Or does that fall under the same jurisdiction as mainland China?

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • @iaps Yes, and bandwidth in Macau is even more expensive.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • On cernet (you get that mostly in a university) Singapore and HK both go through US. And I've seen China->US->EU->Singapore, makes a good laugh

Thanked by 1rm_
  • For those who wonder,

Dollar being called as knife, apart from the pronunciation, another reason to this is that one us dollar is much more valuable than one rmb so you may feel being knife'd when you make payments in dollars.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • lifehomelifehome Member
    edited December 2014

@iaps said:
    What about Macau? Or does that fall under the same jurisdiction as mainland China?

Most of the bandwidth from Macau is being passed through CTM<->HKIX(Hong Kong Internet Exchange), so there is no difference to Macau or Hong Kong, afaik.

In addition, Macau is quite similar to the 80's Hong Kong, having the development of the city is quite fall behind, I don't think(neither I could find) any VPS/dedibox provider in Macau. Except the enterprise(freaking expensive, same for you to rent server from PCCW Global) provided by CTM.

• @zxb said:
    On cernet (you get that mostly in a university) Singapore and HK both go through US. And I've seen China->US->EU->Singapore, makes a good laugh

For those who wonder,

"cernet" stands for The China Education and Research Network, accessible by students and teachers and fellows of them. AFAIK, the beginning stage of "Chinalized-IPv6" is not blocking any websites, therefore they use the "cernet" to tunnel their browsing.

On the other hand, you might wonder why Hong Kong provides a great environment on Internet spot, but with freaking expensive pricing, is because of the lack of the push from government to develop/support the IT business, making us still using IPv4 till today. (Piece of fact: Hong Kong is freaking rely on the real estate and financial business, therefore the government won't allow to decrease the support on these to develop other new prospects.)

Thanked by 2XeepiHosting_Joe dcc
  • @wcypierre said:
    You should say, China or HK only.

FYI, HongKongers don't call USD knife. Also knife the slang-pronounce is in Mandarin Chinese, not Cantonese(HongKonger speaks Cantonese).

@XeepiHosting_Joe said:
    Yes, and bandwidth in Macau is even more expensive.

Therefore I name @William the EDIS.at for Hong Kong node, though it's keep out of my budget, but might suits someone. Another choice $22.95/mo is Ximbo, for 2GB with unlimited 30Mbps port. (See how expensive things are?)