Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions to people who live in China (VPS/VPN)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions to people who live in China (VPS/VPN)

dccdcc Member, Host Rep
edited December 2014 in General

1) I get why Chinese users want to use VPN (to escape GFW). However what I do not understand is - why use a USA-based VPN (or VPS)? Packet loss between mainland China and USA is quite crazy during the daytime, however China-HK or China-Singapore is quite good from what we can see. So the question is, why not use a Singapore or HK-based VPN instead of USA-based one? (Let's imagine for a moment that cost is the same as in the USA)

2) Is there something special about internet connectivity in Shanghai? Looks like the most packetloss is happening on routes to/from Shanghai.

3) What is common between a VPS and a knife?

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

said: 3) What is common between a VPS and a knife?

Don't live in China but the first thing that comes into my mind is the ability to hurt someone.

Thanked by 2TriDoxiuM ehab
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

throws VPS

Ow!

Thanked by 2netomx deadbeef
  • said: 3) What is common between a VPS and a knife?

lol i suppose you tried google translator :) from what i understand it roughly translates to currency

also why US over HK/SG? I suppose No1 reason is cost.. and in terms of GFW cant be very sure about CN-HK or CN-SG routes

Thanked by 1dcc
  • @dcc said:
    however China-HK or China-Singapore is quite good from what we can see

you should also consider the price, especially when you need high bandwidth

Thanked by 1dcc
  • _lei_lei Member
    edited December 2014

Hey,I living in China.
    HK and Singapore is toooooooooooo expecsive, $5+/m .
    In USA , i can got $5/y.

Thanked by 2dcc netomx
  • @matthewvz said:
    Don't live in China but the first thing that comes into my mind is the ability to hurt someone.

He might have meant blade

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

What if we take cost out of the equation, is there any other reason to prefer USA over Singapore/HK?

• sniff sniff i smell an it7 expansion

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

dcc said: is there any other reason to prefer USA over Singapore/HK?

If you're mostly visiting USA-based websites, it may be not worth it to first send the traffic in the other direction to Singapore, and only then to the US.

@rm_ said:
    If you're mostly visiting USA-based websites, it may be not worth it to first send the traffic in the other direction to Singapore, and only then to the US.

Well, most China-SG (and CN-HK) routes are quite good, as well as SG-US and HK-US (yet direct CN-US = crap). So it kind of makes sense to do it via SG/HK, doesn't it? Latency will increase for sure, but packetloss should be much better.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited December 2014
    1. the international bandwidth of HK is too small and too expensive

2. the routes from china mainland to SG are mostly like transit from JP, some from KR, so I'd rather select JP/KR, but it's still face the price issue

Thanked by 1dcc
  • StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

People use knife to order vps from you...

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • HK speed too low. I am a Chinese.
    SG is... kind of expensive, though I have a bandwagonhost and a krypt SG.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • SHHHhhh don't tell anyone okay, we are actually spying the USA.

• dcc said: Well, most China-SG (and CN-HK) routes are quite good, as well as SG-US and HK-US (yet direct CN-US = crap).

Not sure about HK, but in SG for some foreign invested companies like someLayer, at times the route can go CN-US-SG-US, free world tour for the packets I'd say.

As for the "wrongly" translated "knife", it means "US dollar".

Thanked by 1dcc
  • SakuraSakura Member
    edited December 2014

Let's imagine for a moment that cost is the same as in the USA.

The SAME AS

Let's imagine for a moment that you will send me a million dollor.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited December 2014

china-hk works well when they have peer/traffic with mainland china, if not you will be end up with edis Hong kong, take a tour to us and then back.
    Singapore kinda sucks, I tried a few times, it is almost as bad as going usa. Not to mention most of the time your destination is USA.

My isp seem to route most of the foreign traffic via Beijing, the rule is somewhat relaxed if your destination is Hong Kong. Problem with HK is as most mentioned, high price, low bandwidth. I have tried no less then 5 low end providers, all have their own problem(oversold, disk almost does not respond, and command seem to have 5 second iowait time) because most of them are simply resellers, and better looking one will charge an arm + leg(vr).

North america route are sometimes ok, but it's ymmv. I am armed with 3-4 different US west provider(because they are cheap) + linode japan because they usually have different result, you can have one taking a huge hit tonight but works properly tomorrow.

Chinese often call USD 'knife'.

Thanked by 2dcc netomx

@belinik How can I thank you, say, 10 times? :)

• belinik said: Chinese often call USD 'knife'.

Why? Just curious...

• @Amitz said:

The pronounciation for dollar in English is similar to knife in Chinese

Thanked by 2Amitz chrisp
  • The answer is : China mountain east find blue shit

• xDragonZxDragonZ Member
    edited December 2014

@Greyhound said:
    The pronounciation for dollar in English is similar to knife in Chinese

Knife = "dao" in pinyin, Lol now I get it. That's weird.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @belinik said:
    Chinese often call USD 'knife'.

You should say, China or HK only.

• @kousinnryou said:
    The answer is : China mountain east find blue shit

OMG ...

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited December 2014

@Amitz said:
    Why? Just curious...

I believe it actually mean "damage" as in "How's the damage" like how much does it cost.

• Most of destination websites are hosted in US, not HK or SG.

• Amitz said: Why? Just curious...

Dollar speaks like dao(刀:knife)in chinese

• @dcc said:
    What if we take cost out of the equation, is there any other reason to prefer USA over Singapore/HK?

Netflix.

Thanked by 2netomx dcc
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

said: However what I do not understand is - why use a USA-based VPN (or VPS)?

Cost. This seems to be very important for most Chinese customers and many times, the only considered factor. There are many $5/year VPS offers in the US, but not in Hong Kong ;)

Thanked by 2netomx dcc
  • bookstackbookstack Member
    edited December 2014
    1. I know some Chinese users prefer US zone for iTune, Amazon and Hulu

2. Shanghai is the hub of eastern China connected to Japan and US cross-ocean cable, most traffic jam happen there.

Thanked by 1dcc