Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET now allowing shared/reseller hosting ads - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET now allowing shared/reseller hosting ads

13»

Comments

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited December 2014

@Francisco ^ This is a prime example as to why I have respect for you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

As a frequent poster here I would like to share my honest feelings about this situation.

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

K done.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Francisco said: VPSB aims for a completely different user base and while it has offer threads and such, that's a secondary thing to the usually great content & people there.

I am glad you like your new site more.

Francisco said: I mean, @Maounique would crap enough bricks to rebuild post-war London if it was legit true that I operated the place.

I was also hoping that since I do not come on your lawn, you should not come here to try to attack me again. Do you really think all people are gone which know your shady practices in the past so you can now come and say you are the knight in a shining armor on a white horse in league with Spirit to clean up the site f bad people like me? Go ahead and tell him to ban me again if you really think I am the reason you got exposed when in fact this was known by everyone, nobody was talking about it because you could ban anyone. I did not care then, what makes you think I care now?

Thanked by 1ben78
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

VPSB's isn't mine, I reg'd at it quite a few months after it came about (3 - 4 months?) and only went there after getting tired of these forums.

My point wasn't to 'go on your lawn', it was more to say that you and many others would be upset over any host taking it, no matter the host. Would you not prefer the site to be run by a neutral party with no affiliation with any one host?

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

@Francisco said:
    VPSB's isn't mine, I reg'd at it quite a few months after it came about (3 - 4 months?) and only went there after getting tired of these forums.

Sure, LE* was not in your name either, but you had a very heavy word on who gets to speak here, about what and how. The fact I was banned (after threats by Chief) for the fact I proved you oversold the traffic was obvious for everyone and tehre are still people remembering those times.

My point wasn't to 'go on your lawn', it was more to say that you and many others would be upset over any host taking it, no matter the host. Would you not prefer the site to be run by a neutral party with no affiliation with any one host?

I don't see you as a neutral party, never did, and the time when you "did not run" LE* is proof enough for me. So, as I said, if you have something against me, say it clearly, you need me banned because: and Spirit will agree.
    Also did not say this is my lawn, I just said I have the courtesy to agree with our pact, you do not attack me, i do not expose you so everyone keeps their ways. Also the admins there behaved miserably much in line with you and Aldryic here, so I have a very solid reason to suspect you behind the threats and ban attempts on VPS Board.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Maounique said: I don't see you as a neutral party, never did, and the time when you "did not run" LE* is proof enough for me.

My only access was for about a week while I copied the sites over.

I agree 100%, I wasn't nor ever was a neutral party to it, that's why I didn't want to run it or own it :)

Anyway, since I don't want this thread to go down that path again, i'll just concede and say sorry if the joke hurt your feelings.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Many of them moved entirely to vpsboard or now have dual citizenship.

As I said here
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/810925/#Comment_810925
    That's the fact.

• Francisco said: Instead, the site was given to Joel as well as Kujoe to operate. KuJoe took his roll and sacrificed SecureDragon from posting on the site (out of the sake of anyone thinking he was giving his own brand preference in postings).

^This what makes me respect @Kujoe very much despite the fact that I have never used his service up till now.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @hellogoodbye said:
    Frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about the change. I just don't like the whole "Don't blame me or CC, blame the guy who came before us for making money first!" when they're the ones with the power now to nix the monetization aspect of this community if they so choose.

I'm sorry if I painted the wrong picture here. The only thing I was and still am trying to say is that this site was a commercial property before ColoCrossing or I came along. I'm not trying to shift "blame".

I'm not trying to blame anybody for making these recent changes (or any other changes over the past year for that matter). I am responsible for all changes here. I'm not saying I initiated all of them, but in the end it's my responsibility as "head administrator". I get paid for that responsibility. So, feel free to blame me for everything that I did, but not for commercializing this forum in the first place, nor for not "decommercializing" it.

It was my choice and my proposal to start allowing shared and reseller hosting offers at this point in time. It was discussed some months ago for LowEndBox. I decided that it was best to "trial" this at LowEndTalk first. I've naturally discussed this with ColoCrossing first, as I do with most changes I introduce.

Of course I expected some negative feedback towards this. Especially from those that have been here from the start. I'm changing something that's been probably sacred for them: the sole focus of this forum on VPS.

On to the request of my view on all of this: I'll share those later today. It will take some time to write that post and I'm a bit short for time right now.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Francisco said: At this point Joel & Joe were in control of the site and were looking for DDOS protected options.

Just a small correction here, my only involvement in looking for DDOS protection was me suggesting Gigenet at the time which was out of Joel's budget so he went out and bought some network hardware (some Mikrotik RouterBoards that could handle the PPS from the attacks he was seeing so he could have somebody configure ACLs for him, either they never made it to CC or never got installed though) for the new dedicated server he was getting a good deal on at CC. His plan wasn't to block the attacks, it was to get a big enough bandwidth pipe from CC and hardware that wouldn't roll over from the attacks.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited December 2014

0xdragon said: Will ColoCrossing let me buy LET/B for $7?

Yes!, But you will wake up soon after :-)

• Same here I believe it's a good thing. People will have more options.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2014

So finally they accept my petition which was created in May 2013.

Good decision. I like LET/LEB forum. ;)

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    So finally they accept my petition which was created in May 2013. www.petitions24.com/start_new_section_for_resellers_in_lowendtalk_forumnot_on_leb

Good decision. I like LET/LEB forum. ;)

LOL.

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited December 2014

Interesting discution.

I guess that if the problem is that the site (or the 'lowend network') is here for cash only, anyone can create (yet another) community forum for low end vps as a hobby - with no ad, a better graphism than leb and https - it could even run vanilla.

So I feel like we have to either accept this place as it is (a supermarket with a few interesting discutions) or move elsewhere or.. create another place.

In the end, no problem in my opinion. I did prefer LEB/LET few years ago with LEA on board but now... it's as it is. Live with it or.. leave it :)

(I might leave some day though, but not today).

• I respect all opinions but I liked the idea.

Why do I need to move from here to others places to see specific kind of offers?

Sure, I believe it is a test period. If something went wrong LWT team can adjust rules or remove this option.

As every other topic you can read it or not. Each one of us decide this.

:)

• LeeLee Veteran

My only real concerns here are that it will crap services on a GVH type vps which runs bad enough on it's own without adding cPanel and other users. But I guess if it turns out that way more control will be put in place.

• Thanked by 2ben78 Leechum
  • Can we take away the Reseller Ad's part? There should NEVER be ANY lowend reseller product. A lowend VPS which only affects the user is one thing...a service that is going to deadpool with hundreds and hundreds of web sites is plain UNACCEPTABLE. I will report this every 5 replies as I see no way humanly possible this is good for anybody and I can't understand why others aren't seeing it this way.

• LeeLee Veteran

Why is Deadpooling any more likely for a service here than on WHT? It seems that some people seem to think LET has just invented a new hosting market or something.

@OnraHost - Your argument is I am sure flawed in that there are plenty who will be using a lowend VPS with cPanel to offer shared/reseller hosting which could have many sites, there could be dozens of people doing it with x provider. So if they deadpool it could still affect hundreds of users on a node.

A lowend VPS is not necessarily one user.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    My only real concerns here are that it will crap services on a GVH type vps which runs bad enough on it's own without adding cPanel and other users. But I guess if it turns out that way more control will be put in place.

I'm looking to introduce two changes to the rules for shared and reseller hosting, one of which requires the company to also have an active VPS offering and offer those VPS on LowEndTalk, and the other one which forbids unlimited disk space, and allows them to specify unlimited bandwidth. I'll put up a thread for this shortly.

I think this will prevent a lot of bad apples from posting here, but allows LET hosts to share their shared and reseller offers, which would meet some of the demand for this I've been noticing.

• @mpkossen Nobody has unlimited disk space but we do have unmetered ports; good call!

• mpkossen said: I'm looking to introduce two changes to the rules for shared and reseller hosting, one of which requires the company to also have an active VPS offering and offer those VPS on LowEndTalk, and the other one which forbids unlimited disk space, and allows them to specify unlimited bandwidth. I'll put up a thread for this shortly.

I think this will prevent a lot of bad apples from posting here, but allows LET hosts to share their shared and reseller offers, which would meet some of the demand for this I've been noticing.

This does sound way better to me! :-)