Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET now allowing shared/reseller hosting ads
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET now allowing shared/reseller hosting ads

BK_BK_ Member
edited December 2014 in General

Hey everyone!

I just noticed a change in the LowEndTalk Rules and Guidelines. As of today, shared/reseller hosting ads are permitted on LET.

• Shared must not exceed USD$2/month recurring on monthly billing, with no setup fee, or
  • Shared must not exceed USD$10/year recurring on annual billing, with no setup fee.
  • Reseller must not exceed USD$4/month recurring on monthly billing, with no setup fee, or
  • Reseller must not exceed USD$15/year recurring on annual billing, with no setup fee, or
  • Reseller must not exceed USD$20/year recurring on annual billing, with no setup fee if the provider has been in business for more than a year.

Maximum 1 offer thread per provider per 14 days per offer category. 'Offers' and 'Shared/reseller offers' are categories, so one offer thread per provider, per 14 days, per category.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Personally, I believe this is a good thing. So long as we don't suddenly see the forums flooded with shared offers like WHT from non-reputable individuals/companies.

LET allowing shared hosting ads
  1. What is your opinion on LET allowing shared hosting ads?139 votes
    1. It's good.
      28.06%
    2. It's bad.
      46.04%
    3. I don't care either way.
      25.90%

Comments

• one of let bad move i guess? same as when let wanted to increase $7 limit to $10 or so

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited December 2014

namhuy said: one of let bad move i guess? same as when let wanted to increase $7 limit to $10 or so

Is it a bad move because it's moving away from what LEB/LET was initially created for, or for a different reason altogether?

-

Also, I didn't notice there was already an announcement thread detailing this change. Oops. The other thread doesn't have a poll and I hope to get some discussion going on it here. Regardless, if any of the mods feel if this is unnecessary/should be merged I understand.

• I think shared hosting is way easier to set up and sell than VPS hosting? That means lots of clueless summer hosts maybe.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited December 2014

hostnoob said: I think shared hosting is way easier to set up and sell than VPS hosting? That means lots of clueless summer hosts maybe.

That was my first thought, to be honest. Something along the lines of:

Step 1. Buy VPS from LEB/LET.

Step 2. Run cPanel install script.

Step 3. Advertise on LET.

On the other hand, I have projects and clients that prefer cPanel hosting (that require a third-party host) and I've always wished that there was a consolidated place for reputable LEB providers to list offer types such as this.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2014

We need a separate Offers section for it.

Thanked by 2chrisp Rhys_quadex
  • upfreakupfreak Member
    edited December 2014

BK_ said: Step 1. Buy VPS from LEB/LET.

Step 2. Run cPanel install script.
    Step 3. Advertise on LET.

Step 1. Buy Alpha/Master/Reseller Hosting from ebay/whatever

Step 2. Advertise on LET

Simplified ;)

• 0xdragon said: We need a separate Offers section for it.

Pretty sure there is -> Shared/reseller offers

upfreak said: Step 1. Buy Alpha/Master/Reseller Hosting from ebay/whatever Step 2. Advertise on LET

Simplified ;)

Hahaha, so true.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    That means lots of clueless summer hosts maybe.

At least 75 % of the "hosts" advertising over here lately will be gone in the next five years anyway. Is not like the bar was high anyway ;)

• I'm getting OCD from the tab. I really wish it was Shared / Reseller Hosting, with proper capitalization and a space.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • IMO it is good as a boilerplate for beginners to learn a new business, and natural selection will take place to choose the fittest.

In the beginning, it will be annoying to many readers, but then again readers will also learn to choose what suits their needs.

• BK_ said: Regardless, if any of the mods feel if this is unnecessary/should be merged I understand.

It's fine to have a poll, but I don't think these are often a good measure of how popular something is.

I'm more interested in any points being raised, here or in my thread, and in the end the number of visitors LET has. The more people, the bigger the community, the more we could all benefit from it.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2014

mpkossen said: the more we could all benefit from it. BSA $$$

Corrected that for you ;)

• @hostnoob said:
    I think shared hosting is way easier to set up and sell than VPS hosting? That means lots of clueless summer hosts maybe.

I agree. Especially with reseller plans going so cheap nowadays you don't really know who you are buying from. Its not nice buying web hosting for it to be gone in 2 weeks when a 14 year old can't afford to pay a web hosting bill.

I think migrating away from advertising of shared and reseller hosting may all in all be a great move for LET. Especially considering you can now get a annual VPS for just as cheap if not cheaper than shared / reseller hosting.

• Sounds like fun - might become a bit messy though...

• sounds good as I might get some dedicated ip address deal with cpanel....

• @0xdragon said:
    We need a separate Offers section for it.

Full ack! I am annoyed already right now when people put the wrong things in offers, but then I will have to skip a lot more offers in my daily RSS. Who cares about shared hosting anyway, can't you go to WHT? LET was always about real boxes, learning Linux, learning administration, learning about virtualisation and alike. It was never about shared hosting. Don't really get it. I would extend the rule to allow only VPS providers to post their offers. If you offer VPS and Shared Hosting -> offer is ok. If you only offer shared hosting -> go away, not the right place for you.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2014

Bad move. I do not associate LET/LEB with shared hosting at all. There are enough other places for this. It is just another thing that makes this place a bit less interesting and more random.

• edited December 2014

Its a good idea. This is a good method to increase the earnings on advertising.
    Anyway, unlimited hosting offers will be allowed also?

• It's good, it helps LET becomes bigger, and more useful stuff for members.

• Putting the price limit higher would've been better for the community than this, which most of us will agree is not good.

• It is better to be the best place in the world for one niche (low end servers) than be just another marketplace for everything related to hosting and lose identity...

REAL BAD MOVE

Thanked by 3bersy Riz TheLinuxBug
  • If you do this, please make a general filter/switcher for us.
    I dont care shared hosting, there will be a lot of noob/offtopic question over and over.

• @0xdragon said:
    Putting the price limit higher would've been better for the community than this, which most of us will agree is not good.

I agree. A 2/10 option on shared is not scaleable at all.

• @mpkossen can we have some kind of prefix for shared hosting? Now the first offer is online and I think in that case it's clear because of the name "Nexim Web Hosting", but in other cases it might be very hard to tell if that's actually shared hosting or vps hosting.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @chrisp it has a massive box in green saying what category it is, on mobile it also shows that field.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • I agree with @chrisp, even if we have category, the prefix for shared hosting should be better.

• @wych said:
    chrisp it has a massive box in green saying what category it is, on mobile it also shows that field.

Ah now I know what I would need to look for. Thanks, that would be ok for me although I still think it doesn't fit here in general.

• Screw the appending the thread title; why not just have different colours for each category? http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/1033/color-categories-color-discussions

Thanked by 2Pwner GoodHosting
  • mpkossen said: It's fine to have a poll, but I don't think these are often a good measure of how popular something is.

I'm more interested in any points being raised, here or in my thread, and in the end the number of visitors LET has. The more people, the bigger the community, the more we could all benefit from it.

I agree. I realized after I made the post that your thread existed so I added a poll in an attempt to slightly differentiate it.

Gunter said: I'm getting OCD from the tab. I really wish it was Shared / Reseller Hosting, with proper capitalization and a space.

I'm not a fan of its current state as "Shared/reseller offers" either. It'd be nice to see the capitalization changed.

chrisp said: I would extend the rule to allow only VPS providers to post their offers.

I like this, personally.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited December 2014

The more people, the bigger the community, the more we could all benefit from it.

vs

Everything for traffic, even if this means mostly crap. Business interest behind LEB/LET show it's true colour here.