Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtKick panel for VPS providers - all free - coming soon - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtKick panel for VPS providers - all free - coming soon

Comments

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited November 2014

Thanks @johnlth93.

Thanks @pcfreak30 for explaining. You were a bit faster than me, heh :)

• @Nowaker said:
    Funny thing: VirtKick wraps WebVirtMgr. You won't normally see it, but it's there. :) We use it as a proxy to libvirt (for now, until we're not done with our fog.io backend). We use it in background - we schedule tasks for background execution and track its progress. WebVirtMgr itself isn't designed for performance.

So if an administrator of a virtkick panel wanted to create an os template, would it be the same as webvirtmgr? or would it be more user friendly? Currently with webvirtmgr, you could only install a template if it was the same size as the target vps. So meaning you would have to have a 30gb, 40gb, 50gb file for each os just to fit all "3" packages you'd offer, on EACH virtualization host. So meaning that in the end, os templates would take up half of your space costing you more money in storage.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited November 2014

@camjac251 So if an administrator of a virtkick panel wanted to create an os template, would it be the same as webvirtmgr?

VirtKick doesn't use "templates" from WVM. It always defines a custom XML for domain (VM).

What's more, we won't have separate templates for 30 GB, 40 GB, and so on. We'll be building images in place. There'll be a minimal template (e.g. 20 GB), and we'll expand them if needed (mount --bind, resize2fs). Finally, we'll inject an SSH key into the VM.

So meaning that in the end, os templates would take up half of your space costing you more money in storage.

Note, qcow2 images don't take all the space. Just like raws, they are sparse files, so it really eats a fraction of declared file size.

• So meaning that in the end, os templates would take up half of your space costing you more money in storage.

Deduplication.

• @Nowaker said:

>

What about Windows Templates, will you support those out of the box

• @Nowaker

Im curious as well. Supporting windows VM setup is a mess IMHO, but a very good thing to be unique.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited November 2014

@camjac251 What about Windows Templates, will you support those out of the box

Obviously, we won't deliver any ready to use templates of Windows.
    When it comes to support for resizing NTFS - I don't really know. It isn't on our roadmap now, but who knows. We're open for pull requests. ;)

@pcfreak30 but a very good thing to be unique.

Well, we're already unique in terms of UI and will be unique in terms of being the only one open source panel usable by VPS providers. :)

• @Nowaker said:
    Thanks wojons, how about Ansible, have you ever used it?

Been using ansible for over 2 years now.

• @wojons Been using ansible for over 2 years now.

That's great! Can you have a look here? https://github.com/virtkick/virtkick/issues/66 If you have questions, ask them in the issue or on #virtkick on Freenode.

• I will anxiously await the release. I love the looks and simplicity of it - just hopes it has a sturdy back-end (which judging by the replies seems will be the case).

Thanks @Nowaker :)

• edanedan Member
    edited November 2014

When the KVM+Billing is done, surely I will used it for productions :)

Congratulations @Nowaker.

• @NoWaker .. good luck .. looks like a great product. well done.

• @Nowaker would VirtKick support thin provision & memory compression?

• Is virtkick safe enough for private use at the moment? for personal vpses

• @vpslegend said:
    Nowaker would VirtKick support thin provision

When it comes to disk images, that's how Qcow2 and Raw images work. So yes.

memory compression?

Not sure at this point, but probably not. (If you mean KSM)

• @camjac251 said:
    Is virtkick safe enough for private use at the moment? for personal vpses

Only on localhost or home network for now. That's because there's no authentication. In December we're releasing a version usable in any environment (still, for non-providers).

• Thanks @dammugly and @edan :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

@Nowaker just installed the alpha on a spare dedi, despite the limited functionality at this stage I have to say it is awesome, the simplicity and speed for the end user is amazing, I would suggest it already tops DO/Vultr for that element.

Really impressed, I just wish the version available right now had a little more functionality :)

The one issue I did have was once it finished downloading the iso's it just hung and did not exit 0, I had to kill it after 20 minutes.

edit: Just FYI I installed the starter package from git, just came across the full list: https://github.com/virtkick perhaps a little more clear documentation on which combinations are needed and what can be paired up on a single server etc might be nice but I appreciate this is only alpha stage right now.

for example if I install virtkick-prototype do I also need virtkick-backend and virtkick-proxy and virtkick-webapp or is that all included in the prototype, little confusing right now.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

Beautiful control panel, you guys are making great strides. As others have mentioned previously, please do keep focusing on KVM as OpenVZ has been done time and time again. If you get KVM done right, you will give the rest a run for their money.

• Thanks @AnthonySmith. As you can see, we really work hard on making it super-simple. :)

I just wish the version available right now had a little more functionality :)

Tell us. :)

did not exit 0

Maybe you have some logs? Or remember what ISO exactly didn't finish?

Well, we only want people to deal wirth virtkick/virtkick (meta-project for issues and wiki only) and virtkick/virtkick-starter (all-in-one starter that does the job). We'll add a disclaimer that points people to virtkick/virtkick in other README.mds.

Thanks for your feedback.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Nowaker said: Maybe you have some logs? Or remember what ISO exactly didn't finish?

It did finish, it told me it had finished and went no further but I guess that is the final stage anyway.

Nowaker said: Tell us. :)

Some options for adding external IP's / storage etc but I assume that this release is just a bit early.

Nowaker said: we only want people to deal wirth virtkick/virtkick

Well that's great but virtkick/virtkick simply points to other code/repo's it contains no useful info on getting started hence picking the virtkick-starter :)

I will reinstall again tomorrow from scratch and see if I can get the more functional version running.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Just tested the demo on your site, this has some serious potential to be an absolute game changer. Good luck with the development

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Docker power!!!!

• What happened with the development? Did it stop?

• @camjac251 said:
    What happened with the development? Did it stop?

Absolutely not - we're just significantly slowed down because of the paperwork we need to do (incorporation, visas, moving to San Antonio, finding a house to live, etc.). The good news is Rush (the other founder) is finally done with his stuff and started doing the full-time VirtKick work, while I'll should by ready by the end of next week. :) Thanks for your patience.

• dammuglydammugly Member
    edited December 2014

@nowaker .. yeah i got to say .. no one seems interested in looking at issues .. if you guys are developing something for the mass market i would treat bugs/issues as GOLDMINE so that you have a perfect product.
    i was about to donate few hundred quid towards the project but got the impression this is a "side" project and not something serious from the PMs end.
    no hard feelings.
    cheers

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited December 2014

@dammugly said: no one seems interested in looking at issues

We look into every issue, and try not to leave any without a fix, or at least an answer. Examples are #63, #81, #64, and many others that got response or even a fix on the same day. So not sure what specific issues you really mean, did we miss one that happens to be yours or what? Or if you think that all these 57 issues on GitHub are bugs, then no, most of them are feature requests that we ourselves reported so we can keep track of the backlog.

this is a "side" project

The fact that we incorporated, quit our jobs, hired a graphics designer and got accepted to a startup accelerator is a counter-argument to this. :-) I'm happy to hear what made you think it's a side project, or we don't treat issues as goldmine.

• dammuglydammugly Member
    edited December 2014

@nowaker i am not a kid .. and i understand that "my issue" is not going to be a top priority for anyone .
    but when "my issue" is related to ( i am spit balling here ) 50+ % of the hosting guys
    i think it might be an issue ?
    i tried 2-3 different centos versions
    fixed a few small issues myself ( aria2c )
    yes still could not get it up and running

again .. not trying to curry any favors with you but think of me as any average
    "hosting guy" ( am assuming your target market ) and running into these issues

whats my next step ? trying to contact you guys ..right ?
    well PMed and got pointed to github which was a hilarious joke

now do u see why i am saying this "felt " like a side job ?

thanx