Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What exactly happened with BlueVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What exactly happened with BlueVM?

While the s7.kvm.ca.bluevm.com stiil not recovery for exceed 5 weeks, and now the s8.kvm.ca.bluevm.com is also dead, the staff have said that no ETA on recovery, what exactly happened with BlueVM? :(

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• cPanel license on shared server is broken also, nobody is responding to tickets and Justin isn't replying on admin at bluevm.com email...

Deadpool in 3, 2, 1...

• I think it must not be a technical issue, perhaps some contract/price issue with the datacenter, but keep silence to customer is not a solution to this problem...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

These sorts of things have been going on for a long time,

Thanked by 2netomx TheKiller
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

This isn't exactly news around here. If it isn't server A then its server B in location X.

No matter how many times Justin says he takes this serious I'm having a hard time understanding the things that happens here.
    Either he has something else taking his time (and not enough money to hire someone) or he actually doesn't give a flying donkey shit about the company.

Either way it is frustrating as a customer being left without information whats going on with the server you paid for.

I once was a customer of BlueVM but once they "lost" two of my servers I had no reason to stay with them.
    They are cheap and in my humble opinion, you don't get what you pay for.
    Then at the same time there are people happy with the service they receive.

Strange world. :)

edit: noticed a spelling error :) not hore, hire.

• MikHo said: No matter how many times Justin says he takes this serious I'm having a hard time understanding the things that happens here. Either he has something else taking his time (and not enough money to hore someone) or he actually doesn't give a flying donkey shit about the company.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

The only case where I have needed support from BlueVM I had to turn angry at one of their staff members via PM on LET in order to get it done.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • I'd never bother with them again personally.

• My guess is they don't have money to maintain the node, can't pay the bill, so the node itself is off/gone.

• emgemg Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    These sorts of things have been going on for a long time.

It is true. I canceled my prepaid VPS (and turned over the credit to another user) when my BlueVM VPS was unusable for a month starting in June.

What I find interesting is that they are frequently featured at LowEndBox - four times in 2014, including their latest appearance last month. The accompanying text included the following, which must have been pulled out of their ... : "We have featured BlueVM quite some times since early 2012 and reviews have been mainly positive."

It is a complete fantasy (and fallacy) to say that. The truth is that nearly all reviews have been quite negative. I wonder who buys their VPSs, considering all the negative comments? Probably the same people who buy stuff from spam email.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Bluevm.com seem to be down, at the moment. Not just for me but as of isup.me , also...

• s8.kvm.ca.bluevm.com recovered now, but s7 still keeping dead...

• @emg said:
    It is a complete fantasy (and fallacy) to say that. The truth is that nearly all reviews have been quite negative. I wonder who buys their VPSs, considering all the negative comments? Probably the same people who buy stuff from spam email.

That's actually quite an interesting thought... maybe you're onto something... ;)

conspiracy theory aside
    I haven't heard a single good thing about bluevm... How many people are still with them?

• Jonchun said: I haven't heard a single good thing about bluevm... How many people are still with them?

I have a 128MB KVM in Buffalo that's been good since March 2012 :)

• @Jonchun said:
    I haven't heard a single good thing about bluevm... How many people are still with them?

I had not heard anything bad and almost signed up. Don't remember why I didn't.

• @sleddog, @4n0nx : Good to hear. This is definitely my first time hearing anything remotely positive.

• @Jonchun said:
    sleddog, 4n0nx : Good to hear. This is definitely my first time hearing anything remotely positive.

Maybe because I read something bad... ^^

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2014

I had/have a bunch of nodes with them and they'd randomly suspend them for spurious reasons, without any notification of it being the case. I'm fairly convinced that's their version of 'load balancing'...

Though for $x a year one of their plans are OK for messing around with.

• Should have done my research... I didn't realize they were offering VPS nodes at $x/annually... As a VPS provider myself, I have trouble meeting the LET requirements of $<7 to break even MONTHLY... Completely baffled as to how they manage $x/monthly... I don't know if I could even find that many clients to oversell to... lol...

@ricardo said:
    I had/have a bunch of nodes with them and they'd randomly suspend them for spurious reasons, without any notification of it being the case. I'm fairly convinced that's their version of 'load balancing'...

Though for $x a year one of their plans are OK for messing around with.

• they make you feel Blue.

• MikHo said: No matter how many times Justin says he takes this serious I'm having a hard time understanding the things that happens here. Either he has something else taking his time (and not enough money to hire someone) or he actually doesn't give a flying donkey shit about the company.

when I had a vps with them 1-2 years ago, I had an urgent ticket unanswered for 4 days. that's because the hired staff dont work on weekends it seems. but that's not the point. what i don't understand is why the owner is not answering the tickets on days the company don't have tech support.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jcaleb said: owner is not answering the tickets on weeks the company don't have tech support.

corrected..

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @mpkossen can't you remove their LEB offers if they are so crap, or at least edit the part about positive reviews??

• upfreak said: corrected..

Weeks now?

• @Jonchun said:

The price is usually good. $15/year for a 512MB OpenVZ in Switzerland it pretty great.

• @linuxthefish said:
    mpkossen can't you remove their LEB offers if they are so crap, or at least edit the part about positive reviews??

I'm not retroactively changing LEB posts unless absolutely required.

In case we feature them again in the future I will make sure to make note of this.

• @mpkossen
    By not hearing anything good about them, I was excluding price. Sorry about that. Obviously they have most people beat on price. (It's when it comes to quality of service where reviews matter IMO. I wouldn't pay $15 for something if it were overloaded/oversold beyond belief even if it's cheap)

*Note: The above is an example. I have never used BlueVM before and I am in no way implying that they are a bad host. This is purely theoretical.

• mpkossen said: I'm not retroactively changing LEB posts unless absolutely required.

I think any reasonable requirements for that have been met long ago.

Thanked by 3Jonchun k0nsl ucxo
  • Jonchun said: By not hearing anything good about them, I was excluding price. Sorry about that. Obviously they have most people beat on price.

Sorry, it was not meant harshly :-)

But yes, the price is good, and while the server is up, it's good in my experience. It's not the fastest and not the slowest, just decent. Downtime is sometimes a bit long, but not that often. The only real problem I see is support. If you fix that, I think downtime will be brought back to a minimum as well.

@ChrisMiller said:
    I think any reasonable requirements for that have been met long ago.

Unless you know something that I don't, there's no list with set requirements for the retroactive editing and/or removal of offers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

My KVMs in Buffalo never missed a beat in the last 3-4 months.
    My OVZ has been suspended once due to overage of bw (which, btw, the panel did not show), but i think it could have been real. The problem was that it was not reinstated after a month and had to ask that in a ticket.
    This and the unusable LA location were the only problems I had with them (if we dont consider IPv6 which is lately becoming a problem when missing, not merely an extra feature). A few years ago, when the node was rebooting, the VMs were not brought back up, you needed to use the control panel to restart them, but that was long fixed.
    For the price, it is okay, I am not complaining, as I said elsewhere, some providers, including us, charge for an IP what BlueVM charges for the VM itself, so, for my usage scenario (rare RDP and tests+freenet), they are very good.

• Bluevm have problems with downtime and support. But usable.

But other host there who have nerves to criticize another, have service that are unusable even when online. oversold so much that their 1GB plan is so much slower than a 32mb plan from other host.