Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS with at least 100GB space and legal in EU/US torrents allowed - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS with at least 100GB space and legal in EU/US torrents allowed

2»

Comments

• I don't support pirated software, but IMHO if you nulled the script yourself, you can see the weakness of the software and take precautions when you install the licensed one.

If you downloaded a script nulled by others, you might not know whether the script contains a hidden backdoor that someday might be triggered to take over your box and be a part of a DDoS attack.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Profforg said: What's the problem with nulled WHMCS?

because it costs

• @theqkash said:
    Hello,
    I'm looking for VPS in EU/US with at least 100GB drive and legal EU/US torrents allowed. It will be used to download/upload legal in EU/US torrents which have small number of seeders.

Bandwidth - would be nice if will be unmetered

SELF PLUG
    http://www.sharknode.com/vps
    Please check out the above plans! We don't do unmetered, but we offer generous space and bandwidth which should be more than enough. Our VPS are hosted with QuadraNet in Los Angeles. You must remember to only download LEGAL files though. This will be strictly enforced!

Otherwise, as other people in this thread have suggested, you can't go wrong with RamNode :)

• Profforg said: Pirated software is usually open-sourced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

• Jonchun said: You must remember to only download LEGAL files though. This will be strictly enforced!

How do you enforce that?

• hostnoob said: How do you enforce that?

I think it's fine as long as you don't get copyrighted noticed/abuse report about your VPS/IP.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Profforg said: No, there are no adequate alternative.

Then it means WHMCS is worth the money. The people making it put a lot of work to have a product second to none in your opinion so they deserve to be able to put food on the table.

• @khuongcomputer said:
    I think it's fine as long as you don't get copyrighted noticed/abuse report about your VPS/IP.

Correct. If any notice comes in, it is an instant suspension without refund (if it is determined to be real)

• Jonchun said: Correct. If any notice comes in, it is an instant suspension without refund (if it is determined to be real)

You should be more flexible here. Someone may host contents before they get licensed in US. Then DMCA notice come. The hoster can just remove the content and respond to the notice sender that "I have removed the content".

• @khuongcomputer said:
    You should be more flexible here. Someone may host contents before they get licensed in US. Then DMCA notice come. The hoster can just remove the content and respond to the notice sender that "I have removed the content".

Situations like this will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Please note that the policy is to fight piracy and I am well aware that there are issues that can arise from DMCA law that may have to be addressed in a different manner. If it is determined that the client was seeding/downloading legal torrents that simply haven't been licensed in the US, then we will simply ask them to remove it. However, multiple offenses will probably result in termination of service.

@Khuongcomputer: Thank you for bringing this to my attention though. I will definitely clarify torrent usage and DMCA notices on our AUP/ToS.

Thanked by 1khuongcomputer
  • trewq said: See the problem?

Obviously no, otherwise he won't post that comment. :)

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • trewq said: Make one then and give it away. Oh wait, that will cost money. See the problem?

I don't see any point on your comment. It does not cost money to make WHMCS (at least first versions). The time itself is rather hard to value. The proper system should not impose anything (like operating system), at least it should support widely used alternatives... If you want to sell some product, make sure that it will not confuse people. Otherwise you are not good, and that's why WHMCS is not good.

There are no problem. Maybe for you only.

vRozenSch00n said: If you downloaded a script nulled by others, you might not know whether the script contains a hidden backdoor that someday might be triggered to take over your box and be a part of a DDoS attack.

As i said it usually de-crypted, so you are free to check code yourself...

Maounique said: Then it means WHMCS is worth the money. The people making it put a lot of work to have a product second to none in your opinion so they deserve to be able to put food on the table.

I doubt that it worth. Maybe, they deserve, it's subjectively. But i don't see the real case to blame people for using it nulled (and prevent them from doing anything).

Personally, i saw companies who have more problems with legal payed version than with nulled version. It basically was because WHMCS validation servers was slow or down, sometimes some plugins validation servers was slow or down, or they have problems with renewal process (not by their fault). Do you want to make problems for your clients (they'll not able to register / login / order / pay you) by using "legal" WHMCS/plugins software?

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Right.. Costs no money to make the first version. Can you make me a custom billing panel please? I would love one for free... I heard software is developed for free nowadays. Especially the first version.

• @Profforg said:

Please let me know your hourly time on developing something like a billing panel, I'd live to know.

Wait, you are that type of guy that thinks that developers and designers can work for free and don't have expenses?

• cPanel was also free.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vRozenSch00n said:
    cPanel was also free.

That does not mean it was free to make.
    One of the many problems with FOSS these days is that it is understood wrongly by the general public. It is free, therefore it has no value.
    Well, yeah, it is free, but it's value is the same as that of commercial software and is given by the measure in which it helps you achieve your goal.
    I use Ubuntu Studio for my creative work, but, if I were a professional, it is highly unlikely that would have been enough, even though I would probably manage with it and hi-fi gear, the recording studios or other people I would have to work with would frown upon it saying it is stupid amateurish stuff without actually trying to see how it works in practice. They are wealthy enough to afford thousands of dollars spent in software and millions in hardware, but I am not and nowadays the quality difference is narrowing even for the hardware.
    For me, both FOSS and commercial software have value, the value of getting work done with them, I weight the advantages and disadvantages of most popular choices in both categories and go for the one which suits my purpose best, if I absolutely have to use commercial software I will try first to find an older version license on sale second hand, then, if not available, buy the damn thing.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2014

Maounique said: That does not mean it was free to make.

It was free during the development, and it was free to use.

However, you are right free doesn't mean it has no value.

When it was free, the software was invaluable and IMHO it has more value compared to commercial software. We are not talking about money here, but we are talking about original ideas, intention, effort, creativity, time, and people (friends), forum members, and whoever involved during the development.

When a software goes commercial, then developers have to add value to stand out and they have to protect their source from their competitors (hijackers), start hiring developers, marketers, etc.

I agree that the value of a software be it FOSS or commercial is relative, its about getting work done with them, and whether it meets our purpose.

Back in 2007 my former employer bought a Loan Originating System from a firm in one of the well known technology savvy country in Asia for tenth thousands of dollars. I was so surprised when I checked the source code, it was the Knowlegetree Document Management System an opensource developed at sourceforge.

Last time I checked, the opensource version was not there anymore, and the website now seems to sell different product. Not sure who owns them now.

That's just an example of a good software less appreciated in terms of money value, and people with better marketing skills take advantage of it.