Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS needed. Disk = 700GB+ (great if >= 1TB)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS needed. Disk = 700GB+ (great if >= 1TB)

DevilDevil Member
edited November 2014 in Requests

I'll use it mostly for my data backup (non-personal; non-critical data; nothing that can't be recreated or repurchased/downloaded, or nothing that risks my privacy).

It'll be a server I would keep my films/music on (maybe pirated, maybe purchased - let me know if that's a concern).

But no, that data won't be used for P2P purposes from your server. Because if I've to, I'll transfer it to my Seedbox which is on a Kimsufi KS-2 (yeah it sucks, but it's cheap - that's the reason I'm considering a backup server which is non-KS). I shall not use it as a streaming server either.

Won't run Torrent, Tor relay, or basically anything that is CPU/RAM/bandwidth hungry.

Maybe an OpenVPN instance for my personal usgae (not for sth like Netflix or so), or a ownCloud instance with really low data transfer (my main sync service is Dropbox).

Budget: As it's non-critical data I am looking for sth cheap. ~$7-15 per month is fine, right? (though I doubt it would be, but great if there's sth cheaper).

1. But it should not have hard disks failing every month
  2. Shouldn't nuke servers just on a false alarm w/o even a warning.
  3. There should be support. Even if I get a response in 3 days - hell even 4 days works for me, it would be just fine for me, but it should be a non-bullshit response from a human being. Point is I don't want sth with non-existent support (Kimsufi already offers me that :D).

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

get a dedi with ovh/kimsufi

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Heard of backupsy?

As far as I know no WMDs in use lol.

• The storage plans here are about the best you will find https://vpsdime.com/

• Scans customer files (like zoolz) slow upload. and terrible customer care

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @PcJamesy said:
    The storage plans here are about the best you will find https://vpsdime.com/

They are out of stock. How reliable are they? Support and all? I sort of liked their plans and price.

• AnthonySmith said: ovh/kimsufi

They are the reason I've to seek this "casual backup" server.

• SplitIce said: Heard of backupsy?

Prices don't work for me. Also they are like "backup backup". I want a VPS/dedi (other than OVH/KS) that I can use for backup.

• @nitro85 said:
    Why not Mediafire?
    https://www.mediafire.com/upgrade/

I've heard very bad reviews of them besides they are not really a server, but a service like Dropbox.

• Online.net ?

Thanked by 1trexos
  • sijie123sijie123 Member
    edited November 2014

Wanted to suggest Google Drive - they have 1TB for 9.99 a month, which fits within your range and I don't think anyone can beat them in terms of their service quality.

But since you wanted a VPS...

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

Devil said: they are not really a serve

Bad reviews of what?! I have an account with 5 years and all the files are still there

Mediafire is one of the most reliable filehosts ever

Thats just 2.50$ month, and you dont have to bother about anything nether having Hard Disk failures or having to use RAID 1 if you eventually choose a cheap dedi

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

TarZZ92 said: Scans customer files (like zoolz) slow upload. and terrible customer care

Scans files for what? If you keep it private you wont get any trouble

z_o_o_m´s File & Image Uploader or Mediafire's app to upload, but I recommend z_o_o_m´s, its way faster than browser upload

• @fliphost might have something for you. I have a 500 gig backup openvz vps with them to store media files on and they have been awesome.

• I Can help you for verry cheap amount about 5 $/mounth

• Why not www.hubic.com ?

• Gadelhas said: Online.net ?

They are good I've heard and that they offer support and all but I think they don't fit in my budget.

• sijie123 said: But since you wanted a VPS

Yup. I want to setup transfers from my seedbox and sometimes transfers to my seedbox and of course to/from my home computer. So a server is a better option for me. that is the reason I also ruled out mediafire.

• nitro85 said: Bad reviews of what

Sorry. I maybe wrong since you have first hand experienced. Anyway it's not a server so it doesn't work for me. Cheers.

• Shade said: www.hubic.com

It's a sync service. I need a server.

• Check this online.net reseller, you dont have to pay any setup fees here

http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

• wiffelwiffel Member
    edited November 2014

Some offers from some time ago, both for $70 / year or $7.00 / month. I'm using both of them for the same purpose as you are mentioning. I'm not very sure if these offers are still valid:

ByteOnSite - OVZ, RAM 256 MB, Disk 1000 GB

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/670551/

... had some severe issues in August (loosing all of the data). They did some work on their system to make things better. Since then, it has been running fine, but I'm still waiting out to see if it remains stable.

Cloud Shards - KVM, RAM 320 MB, Disk 500 GB

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/33254/la-dallas-vps-2gb-7-m-500gb-hdd-7-m/p1

... has been running very stable since half a year now. I can recommend this one.

• nitro85 said: Check this online.net reseller,

Thanks nitro. Can you please clarify some points here -

1. Isn't Online.net a OVH subsidiary? So basically KS and Onelone->OneProvider are from the same parent?
    2. I am basically getting this server is as an backup option against KS and some other media backup. So I am not sure how wise it would be to reply on an OVH server with the help of another OVH server.
    3. How different is One and OneProvider? Or KS and OneProvider?
  • wiffel said: had some severe issues in August (loosing all of the data)

You say later it is working fine. You did the data back? Just curious?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

@Devil said:
    Isn't Online.net a OVH subsidiary? So basically KS and Onelone->OneProvider are from the same parent?

I do not believe online.net is anything to do with OVH despite how similar they seem.

• Kimsufi.com or Online.net

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2014

@Devil said:

OVH/SoYouStart/Kimsufi and Online are different companies. Both are based in France and both provide decent servers cheap.

• wiffelwiffel Member
    edited November 2014

@Devil said:
    You say later it is working fine. You did the data back? Just curious?

Yes, eventually I did get all of the data back.

• SpartanHost said: I do not believe online.net is anything to do with OVH despite how similar they seem.

Didn't know that. So basically what's the difference between Kimsufi and Online.net? Prices seems similar. (At least for few plans). Are they better than OVHKS? Do they have real support? Do they allow seedboxes (though in my post I've said I do not want seedboxes on this but if Online.net is better than OVH/KS at similar prices I'll rather move my seedbox to them).

• hostnoob said: both provide decent servers cheap.

Online.net offers support? (Because OVH/KS doesn't).