Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waveride taking it up a notch , 64GB ram to be exact!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Waveride taking it up a notch , 64GB ram to be exact!

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited November 2014 in General

This just came in today

Hello Raza,

>

Waveride is proud to announce its most recent, enormously huuuuuuge, up to 64 GB RAM and up to 400 GB HDD VPS models.

>

>

Cheers,
Yours EDIS / Waveride team

I have mixed feelings about this, I wonder how many would take the 64gb ram option and then use the entire ram. I doubt edis would be able to put a lot of people on the bigger plans for a single machine because buyers can very easily keep their entire ram filled up just for the sake of testing the limits .. Nevertheless, Edis might want to work on waveride's network connectivity, especially their frequent microsecond network outages in NL.

Still seems like a good plan for anybody in need of ginormous amounts of ram ! Though I think the ram to vcpu ratio seems highly disproportionate towards the upper end, 4vcpu for 4gb, 4vcpu for 64gb !

Who is giving it a go ? Anyone?

Comments

• The price is right for that amount of RAM so it doesn't really point to overselling.

• said: microsecond network outages

How did you measure these? ;-)

• @rds100 said:

figuratively :)

• said: I doubt edis would be able to put a lot of people on the bigger plans for a single machine

With these numbers I'd expect one machine a customer (if the machine has really got a lot of memory, maybe two or maximum three), but then the price is also closer to a dedicated machine anyhow.

• Would actually look kind of appealing if it wasn't for the fact that you had 1 vcpu for every 16GB of RAM.

• How about staff? Yes we do.

• @black said:
    The price is right for that amount of RAM so it doesn't really point to overselling.

Correct, no overselling involved.

Nevertheless, Edis might want to work on waveride's network connectivity, especially their frequent microsecond network outages in NL.

I'm not sure what you mean? Waveride in NL uses the exact same BW as EDIS, just a different VLAN.

We also look at upping the cores for the larger plans, we'll see, in any case existing customers would be upgraded unless its a new product (like Vultrs Multicore series).

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited November 2014

@William said:
    I'm not sure what you mean? Waveride in NL uses the exact same BW as EDIS, just a different VLAN.

Well since the cat is out of the bag, I was referring to this

>

The problem might very well be with the vlan config but in either case waveride is still a good service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well ram is cheap. A 128GB box with two clients at that rate could be reasonably profitable under the right circumstances.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2014

I tried the service before but dropped it, whilst it was good the support was awful and that was responding to urgent tickets about the service being down, not trivial things.

Would have been nicer if the CPU scaled a bit more to.

• 64GB plan should have 8cpu and 800gb hdd. :p

• shafireshafire Member
    edited November 2014

@William
    How is the entropy on the host system? Because with openVZ, I can not fill it up by myself.

Thanked by 1MSPNick
  • socialssocials Member
    edited November 2014

Jesus Christ, I can't believe anyone in their right mind would get an OpenVZ container for 80 euros a month.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LeeLee Veteran

@socials said:
    Jesus Christ, I can't believe anyone in their right mind would get an OpenVZ container for 80 euros a month.

Different jobs require different equipment, not everyone uses/needs the same equipment

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends, I have a 72 GB ram coloed for 26 Eur and has 16 logical cores, 8 real. But if you do not wish to dabble in IPMI, not buy the server, need it for a couple of months only, need it only for hosting and have a huge DB which needs huge ram to cache, this is not an expensive container. But I also think the number of cores is way too low, even double might not cut it for a reasonably loaded site in need of those resources.

Thanked by 3Lee jar Dylan
  • @Maounique said:
    It depends, I have a 72 GB ram coloed for 26 Eur and has 16 logical cores, 8 real. But if you do not wish to dabble in IPMI, not buy the server, need it for a couple of months only, need it only for hosting and have a huge DB which needs huge ram to cache, this is not an expensive container. But I also think the number of cores is way too low, even double might not cut it for a reasonably loaded site in need of those resources.

Building that must've cost a small fortune.

• As the quality is not the best because the server goes down every week because of DDOS... But who know.... They attack the whole node and down. Opened many tickets about this. But yep , that was 1 year ago. Now changed to digitalocean and etc.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah and the answer you get is: We are just a little company there, we cant do much. Its like GFTO.

• Infinity580 said: Yeah and the answer you get is: We are just a little company there, we cant do much. Its like GFTO.

Apart from offering DDoS protected Tunnels i don't think there is much a small provider can do.

What would you propose?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Admiral_Awesome I would say go away.

I had the issue with Iceland/Sweden for example, often Network related issues like DDOS/Packetloss... and they cant do shit about it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Infinity580 said: and they cant do shit about it.

Most people cant. We have this issue in India where 300 mbps is a big flood and the DC gets mad. In Italy tanking 20 gbps is not a big issue at gateway level, but it does knock out a branch of switches which start from a 10 gbps port from the core, so, 5-6 nodes get down at a time with people yelling, including the "reciever" because, you know, did nothing and was never attacked before...
    40 gbps are not so uncommon these days, very few people can mitigate those successfully, such as OVH, Voxility, Black Lotus and the like, we recommend people hit by those to move out there, because our light protection will not work for them, that is more fur us, so the full flood does not hit our infrastructure, but it is way over the 14 gbps or so under which the protection holds and the target remains online.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2014

Sadly the creation of a targeted DDoS is so easy, however mitigating it is something completely different. Too many people these days seem to think providers are crap because they can't mitigate large attacks but the reality is those people are too cheap to pay the provider enough to justify the cost.

Thanked by 2Microlinux coolice
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Infinity580 said: I had the issue with Iceland/Sweden for example, often Network related issues like DDOS/Packetloss... and they cant do shit about it.

Is not like there is plenty of DDoS protection available in Iceland ;) And Portlane in Sweden... they had been dealing eating tons of DDoS in the past.