Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network Outages, whats reasonable ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network Outages, whats reasonable ?

raza19raza19 Veteran

Hi,

I have a big ram vps with a well renowned host here, I just started utilizing it recently though I have had it for almost half an year now.

I have worked with multiple vps for over a decade now but this is the first time I have come across this situation. In the last week alone I have had over 40 outages, usually lasting from few seconds to a minute. I get down alert sms/emails daily, i have checked it from multiple sources , the network goes down for everybody not a particular isp. Its more of an annoying nuisance than a real problem because the downtime is not long. Whats weird is, it somehow just gets severe when I am accessing the server or uploading files :s

I discussed it with the provider and they said that the uptime was still above 99% and they didnt offer any SLA/uptime guarantee . They are right with the uptime %.

Is this acceptable ? I have vps from almost every provider on LET, they do have downtime but of a different nature usually for rare updates or hardware problems but the frequency is not this high !

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

You're the customer, you decide. If you think the service being provided is unacceptable, move.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Are they trying to improve it? Is it your vps, their node, or their network? Have they worked to identify it?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited June 2014

greenvaluehost? You should be able to leave "ping 8.8.8.8" open in screen for a month and come back to no lost packets.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well if you provided evidence that the outage was due to issues within their network boundary and they have made no effort to resolve it or let you know what the cause is and instead essentially said "suck it up it is still 99%" then I would say that is to much and you should go to another host.

Everyone understands problems happen, it is often how they are handled that makes the difference.

my 2c

Thanked by 3AuroraZ Scion raza19
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

>

you are right Anthony :) I completely forgot about the png provider sent me as an attachment in the ticket

Like I said the outages are frequent but short, sadly still they are enough to be noticed and even recorded by pingdom, my own account recorded 43 outages in the last week.

p.s. please keep into account that I started using this vps only 3 weeks ago.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Jar said:
    Are they trying to improve it? Is it your vps, their node, or their network? Have they worked to identify it?

Not really , they are a budget provider who pretty much make it clear that you are on your own after signup but one would think that doesn't discount the network quality .

Thanks but I think we should allow hosts some leeway in this, even the best ones have to deal with downtime. What actually bothers me is the sporadic nature of this scenario. Getting multiple alert smses/emails frequently is pretty discomforting .

I can tell you it's definitely not gvh :) they r de opposite of that kind, spread all over de world.

• Sounds like a vultr/DO style operation. I would expect that not being able to access the machine because of their network issues is enough to take an SLA view of the world, however I live in an Enterprise world, not the LEB world.

The biggest problem you are going to have is that you cannot pinpoint WHERE the connectivity is down. By your own admissions it is only a second or two where a full traceroute will take 10-15 seconds to complete.

I am having regular non-reports from my GVH box lately but I have moved everything off it & will be walking away from it in the next day or two.

Generally, I like what @1e10 said - if you don't find it acceptable, move.

• _D_S

• E_I_

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited June 2014

ED__

• Somebody who is annoying - N_GGER

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Spencer said:
    Somebody who is annoying - N_GGER

Anyway if they're not interested in improvement I wouldn't be interested in renewal. You don't strive for 99% you settle for it.

Thanked by 3Spencer 0xdragon Pwner
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

MTR for a day and look at the results?

Thanked by 1raza19
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It will be fun when routes change :P

Thanked by 2DeletedUser raza19
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@raza19

Appearently this issue bothers you enough to make a LET thread about it. I guess that it shouldn't be a hard decision to just leave that provider and move to one with a more reliable network. If they aren't willing to work on this issue then I dont see why you would stay.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Mark_R said:
    raza19

Appearently this issue bothers you enough to make a LET thread about it. I guess that it shouldn't be a hard decision to just leave that provider and move to one with a more reliable network. If they aren't willing to work on this issue then I dont see why you would stay.

I prepaid for an entire year plus I actually have 2 vps from them each at different location.

I made this thread to get opinion on the network issue from both providers and customers because I have not encountered a scenario like this in the past.

@MikHo said:
    MTR for a day and look at the results?

You know I actually never knew about mtr , only used traceroute. MTR seems to be a beauty, tracerouting + avg calcs like ping indefinitely . Thanks.

• SandyKSandyK Member

It depends on what you're doing and your market. If you're a dev, it might not be a big issue to be down here and there. Production commerce site, any downtime can be lost sales.

Judge by how much it's costing you in lost time and money.