Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you like to see in a local computer store? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you like to see in a local computer store?

2»

Comments

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2014

@orak said:
    And where exactly can you get these?

BuyCheapAuthenticSamsang.com.tw

• @Corey said:

Why does that even matter as long as GoodHosting provides great service with great uptime? (Not endorsing him at all. In fact I would never order from GoodHosting either)
    >

It does matter that on the Goodhosting website, they claim to use Enterprise grade hardware but that does not really appear to be the case as @Spencer caught onto.

I don't want to hijack the thread any further but seems like deceptive advertising by Goodhosting.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • Weblogics said: It does matter that on the Goodhosting website, they claim to use Enterprise grade hardware but that does not really appear to be the case as @Spencer caught onto.

I don't want to hijack the thread any further but seems like deceptive advertising by Goodhosting.

Who is to say they don't use other enterprise hardware? :P

I opened this thread because I'm trying to do a local startup, something @Dylan said was what I was planning on doing already(free local delivery).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Service-minded/knowledgable staff working there.
    I don't mind paying a bit extra the few times I go to a store to shop for things if I'm sure that when I leave, I have the thing I needed to solve my situation.
    No matter if it's computer or plumming related. :)
    Most customers that goes to shops these days are either not interested to shop online or not certain on exactly what they need.
    If the guy/girl working in the shop has good tech skill he/she will understand the customer trying to explain and know what to offer. If the guy/girl also is a good sales person, it will be a sale. If not, the customer will leave and buy it online.

• @GoodHosting said:
    Eugh, then suppliers need to step up their game. If I can get a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD from China at $85 each, and it's still under Manufacturer's warranty; someone's doing something wrong here and trying to walk away with a $400/unit profit. Screw that.

Send me the Link for the $85 TB Evo

• sepei said: Send me the Link for the $85 TB Evo

That price tag would freak me out unless it's on Amazon and from a reputable seller.... And happens to be a Black Friday Discount.

• GoodHosting said: f I can get a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD from China at $85 each,

• emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2014

I live in California, which gives me better access to computer stores than most other parts of the US or world. Despite that, I am disappointed with local computer stores.

The small shops are filthy and stocked with ancient hardware that never sold. The proprietors sometimes have decent general knowledge, or deep knowledge of a specific area (often related to assembling PCs from components - power supplies, motherboards, processors, memory, etc.) but often have difficulty communicating with me due to language barriers, etc.

The mass market retailers (such as Best Buy) are terrible. The selection is limited but reasonably current. Everything they sell is way overpriced. Their salespeople are completely clueless and worse yet, have no motivation to learn anything about what they are selling. The few times I have to go inside one, I wind up teaching the salesperson about what the product does and how it is used. I go under duress, usually with a relative who needs something working now. Those types of retailers are set up to prey on non-technical people who need something basic and are willing to pay exorbitant (extortionary?) prices to avoid investing effort to figure out what they really need and where to get it. As a result, customers pay $150 for an ordinary HDMI cable, but are convinced that their cable does not bruise the electrons as they travel between their DVD player and TV. (Okay, I made that up, but you get the point.)

We also have Fry's Electronics, which are very large computer, electronics, and appliance stores. They have a huge and broad selection, and are often the only local retail source for some items. If you need a computer accessory now, they probably have a wide selection of models to choose from. Their prices are reasonable - not as cheap as the Internet, but better than consumer retailers like Best Buy. They will get you on overpriced accessories for the accessories you just bought - cables for your hard drive, ethernet cables, flash drives, etc. can be overpriced. Their sales items are generally a bargain. Their salespeople are hit or miss. Some are so-so knowledgeable, others clueless. Their retail operations are medieval - returns are particularly unpleasant.

We also have some local electronics supply retailers, which are not specifically computer stores, but often have related supplies and equipment. They have parts and test equipment that cannot be found elsewhere. They have very knowledgeable staff, as long as you limit questions to their domain of expertise. I have a variety of bulk cable and tooling to make my own cables, and associated test equipment. My cables are cheaper, sized to fit, and far better quality than I can buy at retail. It was a long term investment up front, but has paid off time and again over the years.

Bottom line: I buy most computer items over the Internet. I rarely find computer retail salespeople who know more than I do about a product - heck, they cannot understand the feature descriptions on the boxes. Small shops never have what I need, and their proprietors often have language barriers. Consumer retails stores are awful. Large computer stores (e.g., Fry's) are not as bad, but I still do not enjoy visiting them.

I have the feeling that the current hot computer-related shops are hackerspaces and makerspaces. To succeed at one of these, the shop owner must find a way to turn a profit out of a well-blended combination of educational classes, clubhouse, equipment rental, kit sales, etc. The hours will be long and require many evenings and weekends.

I hope this helps.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • Everything related to computers from accessories to gadgets :)

• Supermicro hardware :D

• soulchiefsoulchief Member
    edited October 2014

Corey said: it feels like they are charging that much to non Chinese people just as principle

Asian countries do that. My GF is asian and her sister went to visit family back in Vietnam and they would sell designer jeans to her family for lets say $5. Then if she (the sister) buys the exact same thing, they know she's from another country based on skin tone and accent and charge $20. Then if a white person orders the same thing, it would be $30-$40.

If you want to get stuff cheaper, hire a local to buy everything for you.

Thanked by 2Corey Mark_R
  • soulchief said: Asian countries do that. My GF is asian and her sister went to visit family back in Vietnam and they would sell designer jeans to her family for lets say $5. Then if she (the sister) buys the exact same thing, they know she's from another country based on skin tone and accent and charge $20. Then if a white person orders the same thing, it would be $30-$40.

If you want to get stuff cheaper, hire a local to buy everything for you.

Thanks for that insight :)

• GoodHosting said: Eugh, then suppliers need to step up their game. If I can get a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD from China at $85 each, and it's still under Manufacturer's warranty; someone's doing something wrong here and trying to walk away with a $400/unit profit. Screw that.

Do you just make that up?