Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you like to see in a local computer store?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just doing a little market research here, as the thread title states! GO! :)

Comments

• @Corey said:
    Just doing a little market research here, as the thread title states! GO! :)

The ability for me to phone up, and order 500 SSDs if I wanted to, with a decent discount for the size of the order. I'm getting really sick and tired of Newegg having the cheapest prices for datacenter hardware, even cheaper than through a proper provider (such as Oracle); and with even a better warranty to boot.

• Server for $100 :)

• GoodHosting said: The ability for me to phone up, and order 500 SSDs if I wanted to, with a decent discount for the size of the order. I'm getting really sick and tired of Newegg having the cheapest prices for datacenter hardware, even cheaper than through a proper provider (such as Oracle); and with even a better warranty to boot.

I've found that in a lot of cases I can get a better deal through Newegg than I can through the actual direct supplier. I was told that "Newegg was running a promotion deeper than their cost."

• robinjoo1 said: Server for $100 :)

In my experience this isn't possible. A 1U chasis that will fit a simple raid1 setup and micro atx board is usually close to $100 after shipping. :)

• @Corey said:

Eugh, then suppliers need to step up their game. If I can get a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD from China at $85 each, and it's still under Manufacturer's warranty; someone's doing something wrong here and trying to walk away with a $400/unit profit. Screw that.

• robinjoo1robinjoo1 Member
    edited October 2014

I mean any kind of servers
    Home server

Eg this
    http://www.newegg.com/Server-Workstation-Systems/SubCategory/ID-386?&cm_sp=CAT-Server-Workstation--VisNav--WorkSystem-_-1

• GoodHosting said: Eugh, then suppliers need to step up their game. If I can get a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD from China at $85 each, and it's still under Manufacturer's warranty; someone's doing something wrong here and trying to walk away with a $400/unit profit. Screw that.

I've experienced this as well, these Chinese guys have offices over here in the States and charge way more (they say it's due to freight and customs costs from China). I'll go to the Chinese office and offer to pay the freight, and they'll still give me the same pricing the US office gave me. To me - it feels like they are charging that much to non Chinese people just as principle.

• robinjoo1 said: I mean any kind of servers Home server

It's hard to even build a simple desktop machine (with new hardware) around $100 - then the store still needs a profit margin. About the only thing you are going to find around $100 is used CRAP on ebay that's old and antiquated. That crap usually isn't even worth it, as it sits there and idle sucks down $100 of power in one month(exaggeration), then you have to replace bad RAM and bad drives.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

A DIY kit for bad USB sticks, atm they are sold out so bad.

• I have an home pc
    Motherboard msi ms7366
    1tb HDD western digital green
    Philips DvD drive
    Intel dual core e5200
    For $200

Maybe i am just lucky i got it at that price

• @robinjoo1 said:

Sorry mate, your processor is crap. My phone is more powerful :(.

• I'd like to be able to go to the store's website, order stuff, and have it shipped to me so I don't have to go into the store at all.

Thanked by 2Corey Mark_R
  • sc754sc754 Member
    edited October 2014

@robinjoo1 said:
    Server for $100 :)

Maybe a j1800/j1900 with 2gb ram, and a small ssd can be done cheaply enough to get near the $100 mark.

With a second hand case, psu and ram you're probably almost there.

• The company I work for we order our parts from the local micro center and usually can get parts are very reasonable prices.

• But whilst price is important, what you offer over and above the big box stores & direct overseas sellers will be what really makes or breaks you.

Offer good advice, customer support and service and it may work.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • For me here, the best thing would be someone who knows what a computer is... Most of the people you see in the shops here are clueless to anything even slightly technical so yeah...

• jonbyrne said: Offer good advice, customer support and service and it may work.

I agree, there's this local electronics store I would recommend over an online retail just because of the knowledgeable and experienced staff. Not like Best Buy's "friendly and sociable" staff; rather geeks like me who tell the blunt truth, geeks who walk the talk.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited October 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    Eugh, then suppliers need to step up their game. If I can get a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD from China at $85 each, and it's still under Manufacturer's warranty; someone's doing something wrong here and trying to walk away with a $400/unit profit. Screw that.

An $80 1TB 840 EVO from China would be a fake unit. I suggest you take it apart and compare to a unit bought from Newegg. The Chinese will go to great lengths to clone products, you can even buy Juniper and Cisco clone gear, and it's very hard to tell if it's real or not until it starts failing or doesn't perform correctly.

If you want quality you pay a reasonable price from a respected dealer.

To the OP thinking about opening a computer store, you will never be able to compete with Newegg and Amazon with SAME DAY delivery (we use this in Seattle, it's great).

KingFast Unknowingly Sends Counterfeit SSD With Fake Memory For Review
    http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/manufacturer-shipped-review-sample-ssd-contains-fake-nand-flash-memory/

FBI worried as DoD sold counterfeit Cisco gear
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/2653167/networking/fbi-worried-as-dod-sold-counterfeit-cisco-gear.html

Clever Cisco China Counterfeit Conspiracy Crushed
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2011/11/08/clever-cisco-china-counterfeit-conspiracy-crushed/

Identifying Fake Chisco
    http://www.usedcisco.com/used_cisco_identifying_fake_chisco

• @Incero said:

Thank you for the wonderful links. I'll be sure to place any new orders under a much more scrutinous check. We benchmark all of our drives when we go and update the firmwares for them (immediately upon receipt, much before we put them into play.) We have yet to be so unlucky as to receive any non-performing drives, although our DOA rates are higher than you would get directly from a local distributor. Yet, at 1/10th the cost, I can't complain if I have to ship back 2-3% of the order.

• From your website "Enterprise-grade server hardware" Yet you admit to using consumer grade hardware that is fake. Good quality host you have there

Thanked by 2MrObvious Weblogics
  • ad0ad0 Member

Why does my order from china free shipping never arrive?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2014

Girls in swimsuits? I am tired of only seeing beardy nerds when i go to a local computer store.

• Everything I need. Lol. Low costs. Ads for my business. Even a partial sponsorship of the business? Lol

• @XFS_Duke said:
    Everything I need. Lol. Low costs. Ads for my business. Even a partial sponsorship of the business? Lol

Whats will all the "Lol"s today?

• I want for the shop to read my mind.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @PremiumN said:

Its my medicine. I like to lol when I'm depressed. I don't know.

• GoodHosting said: The ability for me to phone up, and order 500 SSDs if I wanted to, with a decent discount for the size of the order. I'm getting really sick and tired of Newegg having the cheapest prices for datacenter hardware, even cheaper than through a proper provider (such as Oracle); and with even a better warranty to boot.

Did you try CDW.com?

• GoodHosting said:

@Spencer said:

From your website "Enterprise-grade server hardware" Yet you admit to using consumer grade hardware that is fake. Good quality host you have there.

@Spencer. Thanks for pointing this out. Yesterday, I was looking at GoodHosting's latest offer post and was very tempted. However this revelation of sorts, turned the tide away from that decision.

Thanks again.

• Weblogics said: GoodHosting said:

@Spencer said: From your website "Enterprise-grade server hardware" Yet you admit to using consumer grade hardware that is fake. Good quality host you have there.

@Spencer. Thanks for pointing this out. Yesterday, I was looking at GoodHosting's latest offer post and was very tempted. However this revelation of sorts, turned the tide away from that decision.

Thanks again.

Why does that even matter as long as GoodHosting provides great service with great uptime? (Not endorsing him at all. In fact I would never order from GoodHosting either)

• @GoodHosting said:

And where exactly can you get these?