Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can you do offline on a PC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can you do offline on a PC?

chrispchrisp Member
edited October 2014 in General

There are times when I'm offline because of flying/going by train and such and I am still looking for things one can do. It'd be cool, if those things make sense in a way so for example if there is any tool, that loads language template files from open source projects, that you can translate or podcasts or video tutorials for some applications you can try in a VM...there is much you can do, but I would like to know what you are doing? (Apart from obvious things like listening to music, playing games on you mobile and stuff ;)

Comments

• Hmm, learn a programming language and download books and docs? :)

• There was a time when everything was offline :)

You can always do some development. Rarely any software requires an actual network connection.

• I translate long magazine articles and interviews from Japanese to English as a hobby. Since I mostly translate from scans and I have a couple of dictionary apps on my phone in case I come across a character I'm not familiar with, there isn't much else I need until it comes time for me to actually post it online for others to read.

• Learn to hack into wifi spots to get online. :D

• Play Red Alert 2!

• packet tracer, photoshop, games, ebooks.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I keep a VM on my laptop for development, this way I can test PHP scripts from "external" servers without having to be online.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • Do a free design / open source program.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited October 2014

Rss feed readers can cache your daily dose of articles from your fav websites for your reading when you are offline. When a particular article needs more reading / digging you can star it and continue on them when you come online.

Also i have local VMs which sync with my dev, staging, git servers so am not at the mercy of the internet to continue my coding tasks..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Download an IDE and code.

alessio said: There was a time when everything was offline :)

Technically untrue in this case. He said "PC". Even the Altair had a telecommunications/modem capability and the next generation of devices were very modemized. Prior to the early 1990s, we had BBSes and virtually every major function you do online today was done there, though in a more low-bandwidth mode

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Play Football Manager

• write an operating system from scratch

Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • Put a game in your device/PC/Laptop and play offline.

• I usually organize files which i save in my work hours to make them easy to have in need time :D Or i also mess with bash scripts to learn it myself :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

DalekOfSkaro said: Play Red Alert 2!

I prefer the original!

• talk to people when offline. :)

Thanked by 3ATHK netomx Pwner
  • @chrisp said:
    There are times when I'm offline because of flying/going by train and such and I am still looking for things one can do. It'd be cool, if those things make sense in a way so for example if there is any tool, that loads language template files from open source projects, that you can translate or podcasts or video tutorials for some applications you can try in a VM...there is much you can do, but I would like to know what you are doing? (Apart from obvious things like listening to music, playing games on you mobile and stuff ;)

What I can say is enjoy your moment. Turn off that notebook, or other gadget. Spend times to talk with other people around you, or maybe enjoy the view of your travel.

In this time, when people are always online and stare the monitor all the time. people also less appreciate what the nature gives to us. People, scenery, time just to relax not worrying about online stuff.

When you're offline.. Just enjoy your time

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Switch on your Amiga 500 and play sensible world of soccer or cannon fodder.

I did not have the internet until I was 17 - 18 anyway, I really did not understand what the fuss was about. (that was 1997/8)

• I just close my laptop and go for a sleep. Else go out and play football with my friends.

• emgemg Veteran

There are so many things that I do when offline, it is hard to list them. If I must use my laptop, then I write documentation, do development (which only lasts so long on a set of batteries), and read stored offline articles that I collected ahead of time. (I can also compose music, but rarely have time for it.)

My laptop is very large, and does not conveniently fit on an airline table. Basically, it is a portable desktop. More often than not, while traveling, I use the time to read a book or catch up on my magazine subscriptions. I must confess, I am a sucker for those inexpensive magazine subscriptions that match my personal interests, and the magazines tend to pile up at home. Travel and waiting times (e.g., doctors office) are a perfect opportunity to catch up on them, which also cleans house and lightens the load as I travel.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sparko said: Else go out

What exactly is that?

• alessioalessio Member
    edited October 2014

@Silvenga said:
    Learn to hack into wifi spots to get online. :D

Might be difficult on a train or plane .....

raindog308 said: Technically untrue in this case.

Ohh please! Should I have spelled out what I meant? I believe you know very well what I intended to say.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Use it as a source of heat to nap more comfortably until the Internet returns.

• When i get bored and offline i usually work on my sites, offline, installed WAMP on my laptop so being offline gives you the ability to think on ways to improve your site ..

• GAAAMEEESSSSS

• Just read a book, turn off the computer and loose yourself with a good storyline.

• alessio said: Might be difficult on a train or plane .....

Plane yes (might be a little dangerous with federal law), but there is normally a bunch of people tethering on trains. :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

sirmbhe said: What I can say is enjoy your moment.

It's impossible to "enjoy your moment" on a plane. Plane travel has evolved to a very unpleasant experience, unless you have your own private jet or something.

Trains are different, depending...commuter trains, buses, subways, etc. are sometimes worse than planes because you're probably standing up anyway. European and longer distance trains, depends.

alessio said: Might be difficult on a train or plane .....

Most planes have Wifi these days (e.g., Go-Go inflight wifi). Easier than hacking into them would be to setup an open wifi that harvests passwords. Even if you have no Internet, I bet if you put up a wifi with an SSID of "Budget Inflight Wifi" and served web pages that said "please enter your credit card for 99 cent wifi for the duration of this flight" you'd get plenty of takers.

Or if you don't want to be a criminal, just serve up web pages espousing your personal opinions, or lessons on how to spot fake Wifi :-)

alessio said: Ohh please! Should I have spelled out what I meant? I believe you know very well what I intended to say.

Just having fun :-)

• sirmbhe said: What I can say is enjoy your moment. Turn off that notebook, or other gadget. Spend times to talk with other people around you, or maybe enjoy the view of your travel.

Rather not my style. I enjoy listening to other conversations, but I'm way to lazy to think about things of my life to tell to a stranger.

So what I originally meant is, that i do travel a lot in my current position and I would like to contribute to something that makes sense. That's why I asked if you know any offline translation project or similar. I am not a good coder and I get everything I need done with scripting. Never really needed "real" programming skills. Maybe also reviewing things could be an option. I do not like to play. Turns out I like CoD from time to time, but playing games when on the road is not what I usually do.

raindog308 said: It's impossible to "enjoy your moment" on a plane. Plane travel has evolved to a very unpleasant experience, unless you have your own private jet or something.

This. It's surprisingly shitty these days to go by airplane on shorter flights. Busses are more comfortable than those "cityhopper" jets spacewise.

@NullMind: That's what I do sometimes, I like Daniel Suarezes stories ;)

• akzakz Member

good ol solitare