Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Ideas - Need Input! :) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Ideas - Need Input! :)

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

How can I get a single core (not atom or cheap amd) with as much as 250gb of storage, let's say 4gb of ram because that's what I got at 64u, and in a respected datacenter, for just a little bit more? If double that is what you call "a little bit more" I'm not sure I follow the logic.

Good deals can be found with all of that, just have to look. There's also colo. You can't just look at the front page. It's doable, you just have to think outside of the box a little bit.

But if @Jeffrey can't manage it, no worries, I'm sure he won't do it if it's not reasonable.

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland, it isn't reasonable no matter who you are, 30$/month prices with 4 customers, think outside the box and produce me an 8 core machine, 1Gbps port with a minimum of 10TB of bandwidth, 4 1TB enterprise drives (because you WILL need that for the I/O of atleast 80mb/s per customer), a good raid card, and the SLA you need to pass onto your customer.. for 130$.

And if you take the cheap hardware option and argue that you now don't want high spec and are happy with one or two cores on cheap hardware, then bam http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ 70$ for an 8 core with 24GB of RAM, 2tb hard drive, 1Gbps network, 15TB of bandwidth. AND that's on his list of providers he plans to use, it will perform just as good as your semi-dedicated for double the 30$ and you'll have tons more resources.

And you think colo would work? Haha..130$ for 2u with 10TB (you'll probably want more) a 1Gbps burstable connection, and the power, you might just manage to get that with some providers out there but lets not forget @Jeffrey has no start up capital to colo 5-10k machines otherwise he wouldn't be planning on a list like this :

VolumeDrive
    BurstNET
    FDCServers
    DataShack
    OVH
    InterServer

Zzzz.

edited July 2012

@PAD No one is talking about 1Gbps. No one is talking about bandwidth allotments. If you want to know how what I'm taking about is done, go email the guy at 64u instead of getting so mad at me ;) ...it can be done, it is being done, it has been done. You can get quality machines in quality datacenters for quality prices. You just don't go to their front page and click the order button. The guy at 64u uses SSD for high I/O and standard drives for storage, for example.

I bet @Jeffrey is enjoying us hashing out a business plan for him ;) lol

Besides, I've made no promise to buy, let that be clear.

• /me grabs some popcorn and watches @PAD go on and on about this. :)

• PADPAD Member

1Gbps capacity for burst is required if you ask me, its the new standard nowadays and a lot are yet to realize it, esp with the oncoming rise of how easy it is to launch multi-gigabit attacks at such cheap prices (skidforums). Bottom line is if you combine the importance of whatever your hosting to justify a semi-dedicated server purchase then you would be better of stretching the extra mile and getting a dedicated, while thinking this you may realize you don't need the resources and thus can fall back to VPS/Cloud - looking into buying a semi-dedicated doesn't make sense to anyone with some proper knowledge.

And 64U offer VDS, not semi-dedicated, VDS is VPS with dedicated rather than private, it insures no guarantee of how resources will be shared, no true/identifiable evidence that you're getting what they say you're getting, and thus is actually a very bad example

and eh, if he expects this to be a business plan his business is bounds to fail. You have to remember this is not a new idea, it is already done and will be done better by others almost certainly cheaper, on top of that everyone always seems to tell people that whatever they think of is a good idea, it seems to be our automatic social acceptable strategy to egg someone on and make them feel good, all I see is "Good idea!" when anything like this pops up and it is always the same :

1. Idea is not unique
    2. Idea has no advantages or disadvantages distinguishing it from competition.
    3. Creator is riled up by everyone around him, clouding real planning and real thought, I'm trying to shoot him down so maybe someone can fight back and prove me wrong, but I can't see that happening because everything I've heard that is a so called advantage to semi-dedicated is either plain wrong or crosses with 10 other disadvantages.

@Jeffrey, too late, I'm going to work, too much time arguing on something with no real outcome other than yourself deciding not to go through with it :) If you do, I shall grab the popcorn.

edited July 2012

You don't know my use....
    Video storage and encoding. 1Gbps helps, but 100mbps is fine.

Do study it well, only make it happen if you can make it worth it.

• @jarland Trust me, I have been putting all of this through heavy thinking, I'm pretty sure within two months all of this will happen.