Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner: i7-3770 32 GB RAM 2x3TB 200Mbps for €34 (incl VAT)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am not a service provider, I dont know LET rules about posting. I am only posting because I thought this was a great deal (for me). So if I am unknowingly breaking any LET rules, please excuse. It doesnt benefit me at all.

Link http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/st34
Extra IPs are €1 each.

I dont know public opinion about Hetzner (old hardware, etc), for me it is acceptable. I ordered 1 server yesterday and 1 more today. I actually need the disk space.. and I realize it might be overkill for most.. but its great for me.

Since VAT doesnt apply to me, my invoice automatically excludes VAT.. so for US$36 (no setup fee), this is excellent deal. (Only thing better would have been having same offer in US)

In my scenario, I prefer Raid-0 in CentOS 6.5. Sharing my steps for the rare person who needs the same:

STEP 1: Boot to rescue, delete old partitions and move to MBR to GPT

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
sgdisk -R /dev/sdb /dev/sda

STEP 2: Boot to VNC, and perform a GUI based CentOS installation. Now CentOS can be used with Raid-0

Thanked by 2amarc Blanoz

Comments

• i heard they were strict on torrents (even private torrent sites being used)

any comments the community can provide?

• Holy Moly.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

under 49EURO you have just ticket support/email no phone. Also not high priority, so.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2014

I have an E3 server from their auction for €37. Support replied to my tickets within 15min. each time. If that is "low priority" already, then I can live with that. As long as it is not an important production server, there is no reason not to go with them.

• anthony1anthony1 Member
    edited October 2014

Crystal clear Hetzner promotion here. Actually very funny 'I dont know LET rules about posting' .. so hard to read, someone should delete this post but as many other will be left here for sure.

Thanked by 1challengeke
  • @anthony1 said:
    Crystal clear Hetzner promotion here. Actually very funny 'I dont know LET rules about posting' .. so hard to read, someone should delete this post but as many other will be left here for sure.

I have zero ties with Hetzner other than being their customer (with 2 of these servers now). I receive no benefit for posting and I found out about this offer (accidentally via serverbidding yesterday, and via a newsletter today AM). So yes, I am promoting this offer in a benevolent manner, (and maybe be thanked, but surely not be criticized by LET members).

• @anthony1 said:

If you don't like it, then leave LET. Thank you.

• Great offer. I'll even consider getting this one. Without the VAT it is a real bargain.

• @aFriend: can you explain more about their bandwidth restriction when we exceed 10TB/m? What is the speed after that? Something like 10mbps?

• Ordered. Just couldn't let it pass for this price.

• @nhocconan said:
    aFriend: can you explain more about their bandwidth restriction when we exceed 10TB/m? What is the speed after that? Something like 10mbps?

Sorry.. no idea. for me 10TB is much more than I use.

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • @aFriend, @amarc: Can you post ioping results for this server if you have a chance? I am curious about the disk performance. Thanks in advance.

http://ioping.googlecode.com/files/ioping-0.6.tar.gz

• @aFriend said:
    Sorry.. no idea. for me 10TB is much more than I use.

Thanks, I just wonder how they deal to have a comparison with OVH services.

• @geekalot said:
    aFriend, amarc: Can you post ioping results for this server if you have a chance? I am curious about the disk performance. Thanks in advance.

> http://ioping.googlecode.com/files/ioping-0.6.tar.gz
    > 

My servers are already undergoing significant disk writes load so I am not sure when I will get chance to run the test.. However if it helps, the disks I got are TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 (on one server that I got yesterday. The other server is not yet provisioned).

• @nhocconan said:
    aFriend: can you explain more about their bandwidth restriction when we exceed 10TB/m? What is the speed after that? Something like 10mbps?

http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Traffic/en

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

...and that's completely asinine, that's the primary bad thing about them that comes to mind. I mean come on, OVH and Online.net have full unmetered on 5-6 EUR servers. But here you have to beg forgiveness once you exceed 10TB ("it was the last time, I promise!"), else it's 2 EUR/mo per TB (used to be much more expensive earlier), or a permanent limit to 10 Mbps, i.e. not even till the end of month!!!

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • BTW.. I do not have too much faith in Herzner hardware.. Before I got current server, I had another server for few months (similar specs, but i7-2600 processor for higher price). The hard disk failed. So I lost all my data (which is acceptable risk for me as I have redundant servers). I did have to monitor and debug failures - Hetzner provided me this LARA (KVM) connection that uses security nightmare Java via browser. But once I knew it was the disk, and filed ticker, they acted reasonably fast when they had my permission to replace. For folks who need hand holding, support is definitely not adequate. For those who can somehow get by, then support is adequate - not great.

Oh, did I tell you that RAM died too last month? They replaced it fast.

So why do I still have them? Price for these specs that I need is hard to find.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited October 2014

How do you remove VAT ? They say VAT is automatically removed, but my Paypal order is 34 Euros... and I'm far far away from the old continent ;)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2014

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

Just keep checking every day, there are a lot of good deals to be had on their older equipment like the deal mentioned. Support has always been fast for me and I have been using them for years.

If old drives upset you then stay away from the 1.5TB and below, they will all have years of time on them. The newest drives are the 2TB, all of these will have much lower hours unless you manage to get an older server where the 3TB drives have been replaced.

Whilst they may be more expensive than Kimsufi and lack the IPs currently being offered on the Soyoustart range the support is far, far better and worth that alone.

• @rm_ said:
    ...and that's completely asinine, that's the primary bad thing about them that comes to mind. I mean come on, OVH and Online.net have full unmetered on 5-6 EUR servers. But here you have to beg forgiveness once you exceed 10TB ("it was the last time, I promise!"), else it's 2 EUR/mo per TB (used to be much more expensive earlier), or a permanent limit to 10 Mbps, i.e. not even till the end of month!!!

Permanent limit is weird I think. It should be monthly. However the price is really great.

• You should check your HDD carefully, I had one crash HDD with them :(

• Wow, they need Photo ID and a company registration certificate...

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2014

Just enter ECC as search criteria there to only see the server-grade hardware.
    My 3 TB drives that came with the E3-1245v2 have been 1 year old which is perfectly fine for me.

• Hi

Saw some bad experiences about hetzner here. I was there with them for the past 3 years with an EQ4 server. Awsome stuff, I had only one downtime of 20 minutes (that too notified one). Still the server running robust.

Planning to buy this one and get rid of the old one now, coz that one is 49Euros for i7 960 with 8 GB Ram. This one is i7 3770 with 32 GB Ram for Just 34 Euros.. So its time to migrate..

• @amarc said:

That is correct.

• I ordered through my company too and had to submit a copy of the trade register excerpt. Not a big deal, but photo id is always a bit over the top.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

My Account is disabled, dang it i need to wait until they open there office to unlock it.

• You also need yo take into account the fact that you have to give 30 days notice before you can cancel your server.

• Where is the data center?

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited October 2014

@FirstVM_com said:
    Where is the data center?

Germany but that offer is already sold out