Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL Certificate
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL Certificate

J1021J1021 Member
edited September 2014 in Requests

Hello,

I am looking for a SSL certificate to use on a 1-2 subdomains of a single TLD of mine. This is only for personal use so looking for something wallet friendly. I don't want something that can only be used with a single provider.

Appreciate any suggestions.

-Jack

Comments

• I doubt its what you want exactly but NC has some cheap-ish (not LET) wildcard certs.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited September 2014

StartSSL is free and works with all major browsers -- IMO there's no reason to go with a paid cert for personal use. Not wildcard, but you can generate as many certs as needed once you validate the domain.

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • My Blackberry Playbook hates the free StartSSL certs. I've pretty much given up on them ever fixing that!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If it's just for yourself, then just get free wildcard cert from https://www.cacert.org/
    You will have to install their certificate on your machines for it to appear as trusted.

Alternatively yeah StartSSL. If you do not use the "www" subdomain, you can pick any subdomain of your liking to be on the cert instead. For example it can be valid for "domain.tld" and "something-else.domain.tld".

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We provide free wildcard SSL's with all our VPS plans starting at $6/m.

• @rm_ whats the difference between the cacert wildcard cert and startssl free cert? (ignoring the www requirement)

• https://www.cacert.org causes the "Untrusted Connection" error in Firefox, so presumably the certs they issue will have the same problem.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2014

aFriend said: the difference between the cacert wildcard cert and startssl free cert?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAcert.org#Inclusion_status
    On most machines you need to manually install it, else the website will show the "untrusted" error page.

StartSSL on the other hand is supported pretty much everywhere and by everything out of the box.

Thanked by 1ndlong75
  • JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited September 2014

If it's just for yourself you could create your own certificate authority and sign as many certificates as you want. Installing the root's public certificate on your devices will allow all of the signed certificates to work. Or you could just create a certificate (unsigned by a root CA) and install the public certificate on your devices.

No affiliation, but this page as some info about pros and cons as well as instructions. It's geared toward a mail server but the steps and principles are the same regardless of the application:

TLS'ifying your server

• If you want a Wildcard SSL I can provide you with a AlphaSSL for $45 a year or a PositiveSSL Wildcard for $96/year. If you want to take me up on that offer please let me know and I'll post you the links. Thanks.

Thanked by 2ATHK isalem
  • @XFS_Duke said:
    If you want a Wildcard SSL I can provide you with a AlphaSSL for $45 a year or a PositiveSSL Wildcard for $96/year. If you want to take me up on that offer please let me know and I'll post you the links. Thanks.

Post a link regardless :) you might be surprised how many people purchase it.

Thanked by 1isalem
  • https://vmnode.pw/cart/ssl I got very good prices on certs, you can get 15% off of any cert until 9/15 with coupon code LETSSL enjoy!

• @VMNode said:

Wait, one time? O.o

• per year, the more years you buy the more it goes down per year

• @VMNode said:

Your website design looks great!

• Looks great but can be more improve ( thank you )

• Thank you, just released the design a few days ago been working hard on it

• riadkananeriadkanane Member
    edited September 2014

I got my ssl certificate from ssl2buy.com, provides very good service, no fuss, no hassle, and very friendly. The best place I have used, would definitely recommend!

Last received offer via an email:

https://www.ssl2buy.com/cheap-wildcard-ssl-certificates-ads

$42 wildcard ssl by using this coupon code S2B-AW40

Hope, it helps you.

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

If you have only 1-2 subdomain, I think you buy some single SSL, example: rapidSSL or comodo positive SSL. these are cheap.

• arpanjotarpanjot Member
    edited September 2014

@xethost Why not buy a vps from vmbox.co and use their wildcard on your server?? I think it works out of singlehop network as well..

• COMODO PositiveSSL single domain certificate costs (almost) free.

AlphaSSL costs ~$6 from vmboxdotco.

That's (almost) the cheapest certificates I can get.

• Cloudflare will be offering free ssl soon

• arpanjot said: Why not buy a vps from vmbox.co and use their wildcard on your server?? I think it works out of singlehop network as well..

There's nothing in the TLS spec that would prevent it from working. :D

• n1kko said: Cloudflare will be offering free ssl soon

A certificate will be needed for the CloudFlare -> origin server side of things?

• @kcaj said:
    A certificate will be needed for the CloudFlare -> origin server side of things?

I don't think that is required.

The trick how CloudFlare SSL proxy works is that its SSL authenticate has a higher order when the browser verifies your website, so the authentication is done in the CloudFlare side. Thus, no SSL is required for the original site.

Heard this from CloudFlare's blog for a while, but have not seen any road map or timeline.

• Traffic travelling between the CloudFlare POP and the origin server won't be encrypted which still presenets a security risk.

• I've been using startssl with almost no issues. It isn't wildcard but I can make all the certificates I need for my subdomains. Gives me a green bar on current versions of Chrome, IE, Safari and Firefox.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited September 2014

@talsit said:

Interesting. Are you getting a green bar for all subdomains this way? Can you elaborate further how you do this?

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • aglodek said: Interesting. Are you getting a green bar for all subdomains this way? Can you elaborate further how you do this?

I think @talsit means something like this: