Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iPhone 6* & Apple Watch Discussion! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iPhone 6* & Apple Watch Discussion!

12346»

Comments

• i have one vps running OSX for $5/month.

• Materialistic crap -- I honestly laugh when I see folks that are "waiting for the keynote" or "waking up at 2:50AM to buy/pre-order the new iPhone".

Seriously people -- most Americans are too lazy to vote, yet they will wake up in time to pre-order a damn phone? Most americans won't lift a finger to contact their elected officials about Net Neutrality , but they will stand in line at the Apple store on release date. I have an iPhone 4 that was given to me by my work almost 4 years ago, and guess what, it still holds a charge, isn't broken/worn out, and runs just fine. I hope that purchasing a new iPhone make you feel better, but to me, your just materialistic junkies looking for a moment of happiness in a new device.

• @dano said:
    Seriously people -- most Americans are too lazy to vote, yet they will wake up in time to pre-order a damn phone? Most americans won't lift a finger to contact their elected officials about Net Neutrality , but they will stand in line at the Apple store on release

I must be one of the rare ones then. As you've seen I waited for the keynote and stayed up to preorder.

But I also have been one of the first ones to vote in my precinct even managing to get ballot #1 for the precinct for the 2008 presidential election. I have also driven 4 hours to attend a town hall meeting about Net Neutrality. So it's safe to say I am not in the majority.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @lelewku said:
    i have one vps running OSX for $5/month.

how'd you do that? could you PM me with details please.

• I ordered an iPhone 6 16GB, ordered it @ about 12:30 AM while a lot of the servers were down (had a VPN in a ~1ms ping to store.apple.com) but was able to order still. Scheduled 9/19 (or sooner) delivery set.

• @doughnet said:
    how'd you do that? could you PM me with details please.

There is a trick of doing it just by mounting a couple different iso on a KVM vps. It's not legal to actually sell it as a OSX vps.

• Just got the notification my iPhone 6+ shipped! :) So is everyone else that ordered on track to get theirs Friday?

• Something's changed on my UK order but still not sure when it'll arrive!

• Anyone else's tracking number showing as shipping from Shanghai? Didn't realise it was still at the factory!

• @jhadley said:
    Anyone else's tracking number showing as shipping from Shanghai? Didn't realise it was still at the factory!

Not here. But I have in the past for purchases from apple.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited September 2014

Nekki said: I've never had an android phone, but I've had tablets and they've always disappointed, which is why I stick to iOS.

I've stuck to iOS primarily because work provides, but I've heard good things about the Nexus 7 and its ilk. Not so much about the non-Google hardware...but I don't really know.

I would like to get a 128GB iPod - mainly because I want that much storage to carry around and work is never going to pay for that. My iPod Classic is perfect for my needs (and can still do things the iPod Touch/iPhone can't) but since Apple has taken that away, when it breaks I'd like to move to a 128GB touch.

Actually since virtually none of the content is iTunes-specific, I would be happy with a non-Apple device in the "carry your media around with you, listen to music/books, and watch movies on a small screen" role, but no one else seems to make an ipod-esque device these days, or they're little 16GB devices that get bad reviews.

Alas, it seems the era of the portable music player is fading because

(a) dude, just use your phone - unless you don't want to pay a high monthly cost for a phone, in which case you're SOL (or you can't justify a second if your work provides a first)

(b) dude, just stream it - which does not work for me, as my collection didn't come from itunes, my music/books/etc. are not on itunes/the net, and frankly I don't want my experience at the whim of some flakey and expensive wireless connection

(c) Apple makes a lot more selling iPhones than they do iPods and probably has little incentive to continue the Touch...hopefully I'm wrong on that and they figure to make it up on app store sales.

I agree with the above commentary on the iPhone 6 not being that exciting. I also find iOS 8 to be not a major change - been running it for a couple days on my 5S. I'll be stunned if the iPad refresh is anything beyond slightly faster/slightly better/etc.

The most interesting thing I've seen in tablets is the Android multi-window GUI. Finally. Why does it take so long to reinvent things...

• I got an e-mail saying the following:

Dear NAMEHERE,

We’ve been trying to confirm eligibiliy with AT&T for your iPhone order XXXXXXXXX. Unfortunately, your eligibility has not yet been confirmed. As a result, this order will not reach you by the anticipated delivery date.

We'll continue to seek authorization from AT&T. Once we receive confirmation of your eligibility, your order will ship within 1-3 days. You'll receive a Shipment Notification email when it leaves Apple.

If you’ve placed multiple orders with your carrier, or there has been a change in your account details, we may be unable to ship this order.

If you’d like to cancel your order, please reply to this email.

Sincerely,

The Apple Online Store

Funny, that someone misspelled "eligibility". Wonder if someone going to get the can for that minor mistake! Sucks though that I won't be receiving my phone tomorrow, not until Sept. 26 - 30th. I called customer service, after arguing for a while they mentioned that a lot of people's phones are going to be delayed due to "stock" issues.

• Got busy and forgot to update the thread my 6+ arrived just a little after 1pm. I love it!

I'll post some pics in the morning.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I think everyone saw the iPhone 6 drop, right?

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited September 2014

Btw the new iPhone 6 doesn't have that sapphire glass cover

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/09/17/why-apples-iphone-6-doesnt-have-a-sapphire-display.aspx

"checks revealed sapphire-covered iPhones "repeatedly cracked during standard drop tests conducted by Apple suppliers."

Moreover, Gorilla Glass is still the supplier however they're still good.

• Just got mine. Couldn't be happier with it. The new cases are really nice as well.

• Took some pics with the google glass. I got to say.. The Battery Life of the 6+ is amazing.

nexmark said: Btw the new iPhone 6 doesn't have that sapphire glass cover

And you probably don't want a sapphire glass phone anyway:

http://time.com/3377972/why-apple-didnt-use-sapphire-iphone-screens/

• @raindog308 said: Actually since virtually none of the content is iTunes-specific, I would be happy with a non-Apple device

Have you considered the new high definition audio portable players, such as the Fiio X3? They are nice if you primarily listen to lossless audio files, and they have a better headphone amplifier circuit. I bought several iPods since 2003, but my next portable player would probabily not be Apple branded.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @ChrisMiller said:
    Took some pics with the google glass. I got to say.. The Battery Life of the 6+ is amazing.

You mean it's amazing compared to the iphone 5/5s battery life.

• tr1cky said: You mean it's amazing compared to the iphone 5/5s battery life.

Its amazing compared to anything i've used. I have used other smart phones before for testing but always had iPhone as my main phone.

I had a couple friends over yesterday and we were playing Madden one of my friends had a Galaxy Note 3 which is just slightly bigger and has a bigger battery then the iPhone 6+. In the same amount of time it took him to use 20% of his battery I used 5% and I used my phone just as much if not more.

• GreenHostBoxGreenHostBox Member
    edited September 2014

pcan said: Have you considered the new high definition audio portable players, such as the Fiio X3? They are nice if you primarily listen to lossless audio files, and they have a better headphone amplifier circuit. I bought several iPods since 2003, but my next portable player would probabily not be Apple branded.

The X3 says it's limited to 64GB - but its big brother can go to 256GB. However, the reviews are...disappointing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B00I4Q9S32/R15U2ULW1ZZ5G8/ref=mw_dp_cr?cursor=1&sort=rd

I mean, the thing didn't even support playlists until last week!

More to the point: no video. I watch a ton of video on my ipod - either in bed, on mass transit, listen to some things you don't really have to watch, etc.

As you can tell, I'd gladly use an iPod classic for another 10 years...very curious to see if Apple continues the iPod touch in October.

• The iPod/iOS user interface is still the best around; I guess that the iPod Classic lineup is not being refreshed because there is no real competition on the user experience.

The issue for me is that the sound and file format support of my very old iPad Mini is the same of the current Apple iPods, meanwhile Hi-Fi technology has greatly progressed with new high definition formats. I use a music player mainly to... play music, so sound quality comes first.

For now, I rewamped my iPod Mini by exchanging the original 4 Gb drive with a 32 Gb compactflash and new battery. For videos, I use the iPad or iPhone.

I don't have a Fiio x3 yet, but I use other Fiio products. The review seems honest. Fiio appeal is mainly on the price, and quality control is not their priority. There are other hi-def audio players with better quality, if you want to spend more.

• How long does the battery of the 6+ last? How long is the screen on time?

pcan said: The iPod/iOS user interface is still the best around; I guess that the iPod Classic lineup is not being refreshed because there is no real competition on the user experience.

Press has been that it's due to the death of the micro hard drive - the manufacturers aren't making them any more in mass quantities due to the rise of flash memory. Flash has now almost reached the micro HD sizes - 128GB vs. 120-160 micro HD.

pcan said: For now, I rewamped my iPod Mini by exchanging the original 4 Gb drive with a 32 Gb compactflash and new battery.

Nice - I hadn't heard of that but very cool.