Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earning with your LEB? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Earning with your LEB?

2»

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Freek nope, just friends and friends of friends - but i dont think it can be difficult :P

• KairusKairus Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: How'd you do that?

Social engineering.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@vanarp said: Where are the [minecraft/other] game server guys?

Here! But we don't host Minecraft on our LEBs. At least, not knowingly!

• vanarpvanarp Member

@Nick_A said: Here! But we don't host Minecraft on our LEBs. At least, not knowingly!

Does it really require a dedi for game server hosting..?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vanarp said: Does it really require a dedi for game server hosting..?

I think the answer is: depends...
    In most games you can limit the concurrent connections and prioritize users to allow more "donors" than "freebies", if you need high capacity, at some point a dedi will be needed or the host will kick you for abuse.
    M

• vanarpvanarp Member

@Maounique said: In most games you can limit the concurrent connections and prioritize users to allow more "donors" than "freebies", if you need high capacity, at some point a dedi will be needed or the host will kick you for abuse.

Makes sense.

• @vanarp said: Does it really require a dedi for game server hosting..?

Minecraft is better off with a dedi due to Java and OpenVZ not playing well together. Other gameservers like srcds will run fine on LEBs though.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Minecraft is better off with a dedi due to Java and OpenVZ not playing well together.

How about the Xen/KVM plans with 1024-2048MB RAM and 2-4 vCores ?

@gsrdgrdghd said: Other gameservers like srcds will run fine on LEBs though.

Please help me understand what is srcds

• @vanarp said: How about the Xen/KVM plans with 1024-2048MB RAM and 2-4 vCores ?

I guess that'll run better but i haven't really tried it yet. It will probably be good enough for ~20 slots.

@vanarp said: Please help me understand what is srcds

Source Dedicated Server (srcds). The server for all source-engine based games.

• DoznDozn Member

@vanarp srcds = Source Dedicated Server

• ztecztec Member

If you want some easy income from a leb, just host some tv streaming sites. Last couple of sites I hosted brought in over 1600 dollar a month together. Dont go with adsense though, they dont like streamsites.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Minecraft is better off with a dedi due to Java and OpenVZ not playing well together. Other gameservers like srcds will run fine on LEBs though.

It plays a whole lot better with Vswap openVZ.

We do not use VPS for our MC servers though. We maintain a large number of dedis

• @ztec said: If you want some easy income from a leb, just host some tv streaming sites

If you are willing to do something illegal with your LEBs there are also many more easy ways to make money than just TV streaming.

• ztecztec Member
    edited June 2012

TV Streaming the way I do it is not illegal.
    And indeed, there are lots and lots ways to make money.

• @ztec said: TV Streaming the way I do it is not illegal.

Yeah it depends very much on the country you live in and the country where the servers are hosted.

• ztecztec Member
    edited June 2012

I did not host the videos myself, I only indexed them.
    Hosted in the USA, changed to The Netherlands when the megaupload shit hit the fan.

• @ztec said: I did not host the videos myself, I only indexed them.

Like the TVShack guy? :D

• ztecztec Member
    edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Like the TVShack guy? :D

Yeppp - That was a massive cock up from the USA and the UK though, and you know it.
    Plus I did it as a registered company and made myself 99% owner, so they could never trace me.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ztec said: 99% owner

is the 1% owner a parrot? Like Simpsons?

• @ztec said: so they could never trace me.

So what you are doing is in fact illegal?

• Still a newbie. Gotta get accustomed with LET

• @gsrdgrdghd said: So what you are doing is in fact illegal?

You don't have to break the law for the US government to make your life hell. I can understand his desire for anonymity.