Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earning with your LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Earning with your LEB?

vanarpvanarp Member
edited June 2012 in General

Do you make an earning with your LEB?

If yes, care to share some details?

Comments

• vanarpvanarp Member

Let me start with mine...

I run a web server on my 256 OVZ (BuyVM) and host a WP blog that is able to generate ~$10/mo using Google Adsense.

Also working on a couple of website projects that will go live later this year and hoping to reach $100-$200/mo in next 12 months. Picked a 1024 KVM (Prometeus) just days ago for this purpose.

All web server setups using tuxlite.com scripts for setting up.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

I run 1 site on an $18/year 256mb KVM from Iperweb/Prometeus, and it generates over $125/month from adsense and private ad deals.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: it generates over $125/month

Cool income! Are you talking about the forum site in your sig or some other?

• @vanarp said: Cool income! Are you talking about the forum site in your sig or some other?

I am talking about freevps.us

• vanarpvanarp Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: I am talking about freevps.us

you are managing very good ranking for your site. good job!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I sell hosting and VPNs.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@netomx said: I sell hosting and VPNs.

Interesting.. You meant shared hosting right? I realize VPNs is a big market too..

@vanarp said: Interesting.. You meant shared hosting right? I realize VPNs is a big market too..

yeap, but offering the full package. Web design, emails, domains; and VPNs too

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@netomx said: yeap, but offering the full package. Web design, emails, domains; and VPNs too

That is the future, ppl want things that just work. Unmanaged stuff is for geeks, same thing that happened to Apple will arrive here too. 10 bucks a month for something to be kept up to date and functional, is not much, for a regular vpn+blog vps 256 ram 10 gb hdd and some 300 gb traffic, is possible and very cheap online presence. I suppose you can charge 20 dollars if you are one of the fashionable hosts.
    M

• vanarpvanarp Member

Where are the [minecraft/other] game server guys?

@vanarp said: [minecraft/other] game server guys

I'm starting (again) a server for games... the first instance will be RO and Minecraft. 6 years ago I started a project with RO and became so succesful, just receiving donations. I want to ry it again. But I want to offer more games, but I don't know what games :(

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i want to develop my own site like neopets.com

• I might have to look into this. Thanks for the idea :P

• vanarpvanarp Member

@jcaleb said: i want to develop my own site like neopets.com

Good idea! Apparently neopets is worth few hundred thousand $$$ and pogo is few millions worth :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

really? neopets has dropped that much? i have friend artists who can develop characters

• vanarpvanarp Member

@jcaleb said: really? neopets has dropped that much?

Yes, if I have to believe this report.. I usually consider only 50% of that valuation ;)

http://www.freewebsitereport.org/www.neopets.com

• @vanarp said: Where are the [minecraft/other] game server guys?

Right here!

• vanarpvanarp Member

@PytoHost said: Right here!

Waiting to hear from you then...

• JTRJTR Member

@vanarp

I run a Minecraft server, but it's on a cheap dedi, and money-wise I've gotten about half of the money I've spent on it back (donations).

• vanarpvanarp Member

@JTR said: I run a Minecraft server, but it's on a cheap dedi, and money-wise I've gotten about half of the money I've spent on it back (donations).

You mean the service is offered for free so accepting donations ?
    Gaming business is something I never paid attention to but interested if you have any more details to share.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited June 2012

@vanarp

I pay for and administrate a Minecraft server, and some of the users donate (both to support the server and for some basic in-game advantages/features like teleportation and flying).

I've ran it for six months so far, my goal has never been to make money off of it. Most day-to-day administration is handled by in-game staff, so I'm lucky enough not to have to deal with every single player issue.

And yes, it's free to play on the server... Donating is completely optional, but there are a few servers out there with a pay-to-play model (but those are extremely rare).

• vanarpvanarp Member

@JTR

Many thanks for sharing the details.

• FreekFreek Member

@netomx said: I sell hosting and VPNs.

I also thought of selling VPNs. I have several VPSes with lots of bandwidth in different countries. How do you manage these VPN accounts? Do you have any software that automates the billing and account creation for you? How do you check logs for malicious activity?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would suggest you dont. It is probably not allowed by the AuP at least and you have the whole responsibility when the police comes at your door. You wont benefit from safe harbour provisions of DMCA since you are not an ISP, ppl get condemned even if they run unprotected or poorly protected WiFis, not to mention willingly allowing others to use their connection for a fee.
    Chances are you will be sorry and have at least the VPS suspended if not worse.
    M

Thanked by 1Satellite
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Making money with a web site is very simple: just fill it with unique, popular content.

I said simple - not easy.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • vanarpvanarp Member

@raindog308 said: I said simple - not easy.

well said :)

• tommytommy Member

I sell website,email and hosting. and income from adsense about $140/m.

• I made 3000$ in 2 months off of my MC server. Not all profits though :)

• @birdie25 said: I made 3000$ in 2 months off of my MC server. Not all profits though :)

lol nice :D

How'd you do that?

• vanarpvanarp Member

@birdie25 said: I made 3000$ in 2 months off of my MC server. Not all profits though :)

is that a vps or dedi..?