Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex.tv alternatives? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex.tv alternatives?

13»

Comments

• JoeBissJoeBiss Member

What is this? I'm sorry. I'm a noob.

So I have a server. I can download Serviio and stream the content on my TV? by streaming "downloading"? because my internet connection is pretty bad. Or I don't need it to download anything?

How does it work actually?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

JoeBiss said: How does it work actually?

It streams the video to your browser, so you'll need a reasonable internet connection for decent quality video. How bad is your internet?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@JoeBiss said:
    What is this? I'm sorry. I'm a noob.

So I have a server. I can download Serviio and stream the content on my TV? by streaming "downloading"? because my internet connection is pretty bad. Or I don't need it to download anything?

How does it work actually?

With plex, you can transcode to 320Kbps, tested on a 0.5Mb rural-area mobile plan.

• thagoatthagoat Member
    edited May 2015

Nekki said: Is Madsonic substantially better than Subsonic? If not, I'd prefer to give the Subsonic dev a few $ every year to help them keep improving.

>

Just offering folks a free alternative. I ran Subsonic for half the trial period and had the same user experience as Madsonic, so I can't relate a Plus/Minus scenario. I recommended Madsonic for those looking for a free alternative as I thought the OP was looking for.

• i still stand by plex ... even though the devs are idiots on not integrating SSL/TLS for over 1+ year(s).

Look into also http://emby.media/ which has all the bells and whistles of Plex.tv and it's completely free. The client channels/apps are not as great with the UI but they work and function.

If you want a completely cloud based solution, this is not free though, you can try this https://www.streamnation.com/
    They are pretty cool. Their apps/channels are kind of crappy and they don't have a Android version yet. But for $20/month you can host all your content with them and they stream via their CDN. This is ideal for people who don't want to run/host/pay for a beefy/speedy server. It's perfect for someone looking to share with friends/family that don't have the upload speed at home to do so. But no Roku/GoogleTV/AppleTV app(s) yet. You can use Chromecast or iOS AirPlay to your AppleTV. It will also match content with metadata (posters/info) so that's cool too.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited May 2015

@doughnet said:
    i still stand by plex ... even though the devs are idiots on not integrating SSL/TLS for over 1+ year(s).

Look into also http://emby.media/ which has all the bells and whistles of Plex.tv and it's completely free. The client channels/apps are not as great with the UI but they work and function.

Heads up! Currently Emby (formerly known as Media Browser) has problems with Linux. It's not as stable as Plex or Serviio. It's also note resource hungry since plex only buffers some of the video while transcoding whereas Emby transcodes the whole video when you hit play. But it has multiple user support which I like over Plex.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Nomad said:
    But it has multiple user support which I like over Plex.

Plex does have multiple user support?

• NomadNomad Member

@Nekki said:
    Plex does have multiple user support?

Emby does. Plex has it only with Plex Pass I think. And by multi user support I mean each user can have their own content. Like one account for you, one for your kids, one for friends etc.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Nomad said:
    Emby does. Plex has it only with Plex Pass I think. And by multi user support I mean each user can have their own content. Like one account for you, one for your kids, one for friends etc.

The free Plex account also has the option to select what to share with each user. The only thing you get extra with plex pass is each user is able to keep track of what they watched and trailers.

Only the host account needs a plex pass tho, the other users won't need it.

• NomadNomad Member

@vfuse said:
    Only the host account needs a plex pass tho, the other users won't need it.

I know that you can share content with other plex users. And for baud sharing you don't even need to have a pass. But what do I gain with Plex pass? That, I wouldn't know. Never was a Plex Pass user. But that's not what i'ld like when I mean multiuser support. The way Emby handles it us way better for me. I can have my personal video archive in my own user and my brother can have his in his account while we both share our movies folder with family and friend.

• @Nomad said:
    Heads up! Currently Emby (formerly known as Media Browser) has problems with Linux. It's not as stable as Plex or Serviio. It's also note resource hungry since plex only buffers some of the video while transcoding whereas Emby transcodes the whole video when you hit play. But it has multiple user support which I like over Plex.

Works fine if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't trust what this person says and recommend trying it yourself.

• NomadNomad Member

@doughnet said:

Works fine if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't trust what this person says and recommend trying it yourself.

You don't need to take my word for it. Just check out their community and decide for yourself. Many people, including myself had run into Emby related problems such as server crashing itself, not playing, not indexing media etc. It's a work in progress but once they overcome it, it's a good alternative to Plex.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Nomad said:

Plex can do exactly that :) I have to agree tho after plex changed pricing it's not that much value for money.

• HadrielHadriel Member

@doughnet said:
    Nothing is better than plex. I have over 150 users I share with and its amazing how it can handle it. Also it's able to handle managing my 4,000 HD movies and 12,000 HD TV episodes. Also it's able to cater to the speed by transcoding streams for clients that can't reach full speed.

Also there is a 3rd party repo for Debian plex. Works perfectly. I've been using it for years.

Sounds like a pretty decent setup. Mind sharing how you are managing/accomplishing that?

• Plex does all the work :-)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@doughnet said:
    Plex does all the work :-)

I think he's referring to your hardware config.

How many concurrent users have you been able to deal with in the past?

• HadrielHadriel Member

@doughnet said:
    Plex does all the work :-)

Cute. But yes I am looking for how you are handling that much content for that many people in terms of hardware, location, and connection.

• @Hadriel said:
    Cute. But yes I am looking for how you are handling that much content for that many people in terms of hardware, location, and connection.

I have two 1U servers that are dual E5450. One has all the TV and one has all the movies which is a good distribution. They do approximately about 2,500 movie streams and 4,000 TV streams per month. I must say, Plex is pretty solid if you want something pretty close to enterprise grade software.

Last week I got a new system, Dual X5650, and am looking to consolidate everything into 1 server, (1x250GB SSD, 2x4TB and 1x5TB) along with using EnhanceIO to help with the IO speeds and keep some load off the drive. The most simultaneous streams have been I believe about 30 total, but only about 7 were transcoding which uses up the CPUs quickly. Direct streams use up almost no resources.

• DamianDamian Member

vfuse said: The only thing you get extra with plex pass is each user is able to keep track of what they watched and trailers.

doughnet said: They do approximately about 2,500 movie streams and 4,000 TV streams per month.

Maybe I has the dumb: where are these stats kept? I've looked all over my Plex install and can't find them.

• I keep track of my stuff using 3rd party apps. It does require having myPlex and verbose logging enabled.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/82819-plexwatchweb-a-web-front-end-for-plexwatch/

Here is a pic of just my TV section.

• I was actually in the process of writing my own user access wrapper for Plex. It's pretty simple when you just breakdown the API calls to Plex.tv.

I assume you run subscription based service @doughnet.

• HadrielHadriel Member

@doughnet said:
    Last week I got a new system, Dual X5650, and am looking to consolidate everything into 1 server, (1x250GB SSD, 2x4TB and 1x5TB) along with using EnhanceIO to help with the IO speeds and keep some load off the drive. The most simultaneous streams have been I believe about 30 total, but only about 7 were transcoding which uses up the CPUs quickly. Direct streams use up almost no resources.

What quality is being streamed?