Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex.tv alternatives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex.tv alternatives?

Comments

• @doughnet said:
    paranoid person i see ... all you had to say

See it however you want, I still think that having another server between you and your own server is bullshit.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • doughnet said: Are these users streaming super illegal stuff

VPN = Virtual Private Network. I use a VPN for the "private" local network. Not to mentian MyPlex stores a bunch of private information.

• coolnowcoolnow Member
    edited August 2014

Wow, limbomedia is what i've been looking for these past few months! Can't believe i never knew about this before. It even converts any videos to webm formats overnight so other devices can watch. It's amazing.

All it needs is subtitle support.

Thanked by 1itgods
  • @coolnow said:
    Wow, limbomedia is what i've been looking for these past few months! Can't believe i never knew about this before. It even converts any videos to webm formats overnight so other devices can watch. It's amazing.

All it needs is subtitle support.

Good to hear. :)

• ATHKATHK Member

Why aren't any of you using the official released .deb .rpm etc from the actual website? I've never had an issue with Plex....

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ATHK said:
    Why aren't any of you using the official released .deb .rpm etc from the actual website? I've never had an issue with Plex....

It doesn't work properly with Debian, so the story goes. Let's face it, if it did work, why are there so many people coming up with workaround? Everyone can't be off their tits.

• ATHKATHK Member

Makes no sense to me .. either they're not doing it right, using shifty repos or .. not doing it right.

It was simple to setup for me in two commands and works perfectly fine..

I did buy plexpass but that makes no difference as you need to install it before logging in with your account anyway..

I'm stumped..

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

@ATHK said:

Euhm.. isn't this method just for desktop users? i'm managing my server through ssh and start stuff that way. I could use tightvnc+gnome but then i'd have to keep tightvnc running to make sure that all applications keep running aswel and thats just another open port. I sometimes dont really see any logic in how linux operates in general, i've been a windows user for too long I guess.

• ATHKATHK Member

The media server runs via the command line with a nice web ui..

I'm on my mobile this was the only download section I could get too..https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

• @Nekki said:
    It doesn't work properly with Debian, so the story goes. Let's face it, if it did work, why are there so many people coming up with workaround? Everyone can't be off their tits.

Definitely you are doing something incorrectly if you can't get it to work. A large majority of people use Debian. There's a IRC channel for support as well (volunteers) at FreeNode channel #plex

Reading the FAQ/Documentation helps a ton on getting things to work properly, FYI

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@doughnet said:
    Definitely you are doing something incorrectly if you can't get it to work. A large majority of people use Debian. There's a IRC channel for support as well (volunteers) at FreeNode channel #plex

I was referring to the official Ubuntu package. I had no issue getting Debian to work from the unofficial repos.

• doughnetdoughnet Member
    edited August 2014

@Nekki said:
    I was referring to the official Ubuntu package. I had no issue getting Debian to work from the unofficial repos.

Ah, sorry. Definitely will try out the other media servers mentioned so I am not biased ... but Plex seems to be an AIO solution that has been working perfectly a couple years. I am easily able to share with 120+ family/friends my large library.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @doughnet said:
    I am not biased

Haha.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

Update#

Sooo, I tried http://limbomedia.net suggested by @itgods

and I had a little struggle throughout the installation process regarding to Java (one of the requirements) - they suggest to use this command "apt-get install openjdk-7-jre", i've tried it and after launching the limbomedia java file I got an java exception.

After doing this it got fixed:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

>

echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

>

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886

>

apt-get update

>

apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

Now limbomedia is fully functional without any java exceptions, the problem right now is that I could not playback any videos using their browser based player, the encoder was throwing IO errors in the log file. I have no clue what is causing this and the error wasnt being specific. i'm going to try a few other media streamers now - hopefully I get something thats working as it should right out of the box for Debian 6.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hit me up and I'll install Plex on CentOS 6.5 for you for fun anytime. You can't beat it or match it in terms of device support and features. It streams audio unbelievably even over a low signal AT&T LTE in Houston streaming from Canada, and it works from literally every device I have here to stream to my Chromecast. I could not be more pleased with a media setup.

Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2015

This definitly is a late response but just for the sake of resolving this thread i had to mention my final move. I ended up buying a dedicated server from worldstream.nl and did choose for Windows server 2012 as operation system (skipping all linux crap that has been mentioned in my first post), afterwards i installed http://serviio.org. right now i'm streaming all my movies straight towards my browser in fullscreen mode by using serviio's media browser feature! the transcoding and everything is flawless, even subtitles are included.

Screenshot:

One thing to mention is that serviio will run the first time in a 15-day pro trail mode, after that it will return to free mode and the Media browser feature will disappear. Personally i think that Serviio is worth buying, for a one-time fee of $25 you can have a reliable and easy to use streaming software that just works. Best of all, there is no myPlex middle-man authorization system!

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

$25 is a steal. but what i like with plex is the transcoding options, and the all in one sorta thing.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Had I see this thread before, I would have suggested Subsonic. Very easy to install, and the video player is actually very good, although you may have to do a bit of fiddling to get everything to work if you have unusually encoded videos.. It's free too, unless you want to use mobile apps, in which case it's $12 a year.

• Try emby if you are looking for a plex alternative

• thagoatthagoat Member
    edited May 2015

Subsonic does make you buy a subscription. Madsonic, however, is a fork and is f-r-e-e free. And it works with Chromecast and the Android Subsonic app. I haven't tested IOS on this MuthaFucka

• doughnetdoughnet Member
    edited May 2015

Nothing is better than plex. I have over 150 users I share with and its amazing how it can handle it. Also it's able to handle managing my 4,000 HD movies and 12,000 HD TV episodes. Also it's able to cater to the speed by transcoding streams for clients that can't reach full speed.

Also there is a 3rd party repo for Debian plex. Works perfectly. I've been using it for years.

• @doughnet said:
    Nothing is better than plex. I have over 150 users I share with and its amazing how it can handle it. Also it's able to handle managing my 4,000 HD movies and 12,000 HD TV episodes. Also it's able to cater to the speed by transcoding streams for clients that can't reach full speed.

Also there is a 3rd party repo for Debian plex. Works perfectly. I've been using it for years.

I would love to test your server. I never got to use Plex.

• @doughnet said:

What server do you have for that?

• frankfrank Member

@Mark_R said:
    This definitly is a late response but just for the sake of resolving this thread i had to mention my final move. I ended up buying a dedicated server from worldstream.nl and did choose for Windows server 2012 as operation system (skipping all linux crap that has been mentioned in my first post), afterwards i installed http://serviio.org. right now i'm streaming all my movies straight towards my browser in fullscreen mode by using serviio's media browser feature! the transcoding and everything is flawless, even subtitles are included.

Screenshot:

One thing to mention is that serviio will run the first time in a 15-day pro trail mode, after that it will return to free mode and the Media browser feature will disappear. Personally i think that Serviio is worth buying, for a one-time fee of $25 you can have a reliable and easy to use streaming software that just works. Best of all, there is no myPlex middle-man authorization system!

Good choice been using it for years.

Its a LOT better than plex as it handles Transcoding correctly to all devices (Plex had issues with a few of mine e.g. a certain Sony Bluray player) also the performance with Serviio is a lot better with less resources required (now have it running on Ubuntu 14.04 was 12.04 before that). Its an all round better experience, only issue it can have is when the Database gets corrupted then it gets a bit fiddly to fix but that has only ever happened once to me in the 3+ years I have been using it. I have tried various alternatives in those years but always Serviio is better.

Just wish Serviio was advertised more as most people don't even know it exists, and the fact its better than all the alternatives.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

frank said: Just wish Serviio was advertised more as most people don't even know it exists, and the fact its better than all the alternatives.

It's not better, it's different. It clearly has some advantages over Plex, but Plex has advantages over Servio too.

It certainly looks nice and lightweight, but can I install a client on all my families set-top boxes, consoles, smart TV, phones and tablets? No.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2015

thagoat said: Subsonic does make you buy a subscription. Madsonic, however, is a fork and is f-r-e-e free. And it works with Chromecast and the Android Subsonic app. I haven't tested IOS on this MuthaFucka

Is Madsonic substantially better than Subsonic? If not, I'd prefer to give the Subsonic dev a few $ every year to help them keep improving.

• frankfrank Member

@Nekki said:
    It certainly looks nice and lightweight, but can I install a client on all my families set-top boxes, consoles, smart TV, phones and tablets? No.

Yeah its a server only. But as a pure server its a lot better than the alternatives.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

frank said: Yeah its a server only. But as a pure server its a lot better than the alternatives.

I'm sure it probably is, but that's not enough these days by a long shot. That's most likely why a lot of people have never heard of it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

the only noteworthy advantage Plex has over Serviio in my opinion is that the Xbox One has an app for it, this is definitly not reason enough to switch to plex. i'll just use the xbox DLNA feature combined with serviio instead.

• So I have never heard of Servillo. It looks nice and streaming was definitely quicker than my Plex instance (with me being in the US and it in Europe). However, the player was not very user friendly. It looks like using Servillogo app (or some similar name) allows for categorizing. It's a nice interface, I'll give them that, but not scalable. I don't really prefer the three options for transcoding quality opposed to Plex's

Sticking with Plex, but glad I found this, neat idea that I'll keep in mind.