Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago VPS: Unreliable & Terrible Support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago VPS: Unreliable & Terrible Support

beanie4mebeanie4me Member
edited August 2014 in Providers

I have been with Chicago VPS since July 2013.

Considering what I pay, I don't expect a ton of support. But I am now on Day 7 of my server going offline constantly, and the ChicagoVPS support seems to have no abilities except a reset button or setting up a fresh server.

Below is a summary of my support ticket:

Aug 16 17:10 Me: My server is completely offline. When I view the product details in the client area, I just see "Virtual server not found". Been down since Aug 14.

Aug 16 20:31 James Burkowitz: We have rebooted your vps. Please check it and confirm.

Aug 16 20:43 Me: Server still down. Unresponsive to pings. Can't bring up on console. Getting "Virtual server not found" in the client area.

Aug 17 02:09 James Burkowitz: Sorry for inconvenience. We are working on this issue.

Aug 19 08:39 Me: The server is now found, and will boot up. However, it keeps going offline. Any ideas?

Aug 19 12:26 James Burkowitz: Please check now . its online

Aug 19 16:09 Me: Server went down again. While it was up, system resources were not reporting correctly on the ChicagoVPS interface.

Aug 19 17:10 James Burkowitz: It is online now.

Aug 19 21:34 Me: Offline again. I'll leave it down a while this time for troubleshooting. Do you have any way of knowing how it was shutdown?

Aug 20 22:57 James Burkowitz: We have rebooted server.

Aug 21 00:08 Me: Down again. Now getting "connection error".

Aug 21 03:50 James Burkowitz: Can I setup fresh server for you?

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2014

Why not take the fresh server?

• Yep, that's pretty much my experience too. Dropping pings and "connection error" in control panel every other day.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

In your WHMCS, there should be an option to submit a cancellation request. This should permanently resolve your issue.

• @wych said:
    Why not take the fresh server?

Because I can no longer trust their services.

They offered no troubleshooting. No move to another node. Nothing except making me rebuild my server from scratch.

• beanie4me said: Because I can no longer trust their services.

Just move on and find yourself a better host.

Thanked by 2beanie4me tux
  • beanie4me said: They offered no troubleshooting. No move to another node. Nothing except making me rebuild my server from scratch.

Wait, you are saying there are issues within your server configuration and you expect them to troubleshoot for you?

Did you buy a managed server or unmanaged?

• zhuanyi said: Did you buy a managed server or unmanaged?

Doesn't matter when a client complains:

Aug 16 17:10 Me: My server is completely offline. When I view the product details in the client area, I just see "Virtual server not found". Been down since Aug 14.

Thanked by 2zhuanyi beanie4me
  • noosVPS said: Doesn't matter when a client complains:

Make sense, my bad, didn't read carefully.

• Same thing happened to me as well. I am just moving on and I never going to order from them. The worse provider ever.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Please provide a ticket number as I would like to look into this. Our uptime is fine, and find it hard to believe that your VPS is down because of us.

• That quality support though, lol.

• I had a similar issue, downtime for 5 days, and had the same support rep. I've had only little problems with the occasional reboot up to this. Ended up having to buy a VPS from another provider to get the services back up and running.

@CVPS_Chris: My ticket was COF-658157. The VPS is back up, and no data was lost, but 5 days of downtime was enough to lose faith in the service.

• I would strongly encourage not attempting to have them move you to a different node. I took them up on that offer and they nuked my data in the process, never completed the move, and are now denying they even offered to perform the move (even though its clearly stated in the ticket).

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

What location are you in?

• @CVPS_Chris: Ticket UDH-892385.

Honestly, unreliable may be too harsh. I never had server problems prior to this.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    What location are you in?

I am in DAL. Server is in LAX.

• @shovenose said:
    In your WHMCS, there should be an option to submit a cancellation request. This should permanently resolve your issue.

aite sherlock

• edanedan Member

I have one idle VPS with them from LEB promos, OpenVZ SSD (EXCLUSIVE) - 2GB RAM, location LA. Surprisingly I got pretty decent uptime:

top - 19:11:21 up 53 days,  4:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Tasks:  24 total,   1 running,  23 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  0.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni,100.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   2097152k total,    45984k used,  2051168k free,        0k buffers
    Swap:        0k total,        0k used,        0k free,    14984k cached

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3400.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   53 days, 4:35,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 70.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 35.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 51.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.06MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.2MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 29.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 11.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 56.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 66.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 29.6MB/s
    I/O speed :  511 MB/s

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    I'm not trying to divert customers to our side but kindly feel free to try us.

Sure

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ChanksterChankster Member
    edited August 2014

My IO issue:

$ ioping . -c 10
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=1 time=1135.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=2 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=3 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=4 time=340.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=5 time=265.8 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=6 time=312.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=7 time=417.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=8 time=279.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=9 time=807.8 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx): request=10 time=26.5 ms
    --- . (simfs /vz/private/xxxxx) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 12586.6 ms, 3 iops, 0.0 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/358.6/1135.4/345.4 ms

• Proof requested from the OP.

• I will say as someone who has had 1 -2 vps's with them the past 2 year their support has gone downhill the past few months. I'm not a fan of Mr. Burkowitz.

• @mpkossen See screenshot. http://oi57.tinypic.com/281h79i.jpg

• @beanie4me said:
    mpkossen See screenshot.

Thank you for sharing that!

If I were you, I'd ask for the ticket to be escalated as clearly "James Burkowitz" is not helping you in a way that is satisfactory to you :-)

• The only other person I've ever seen is Luc Ayotte and he's just as useless.

• Very intresting discussion , I'll consider this a good look through for people who are planning to buy / provide services

For providers it is a fact that no matter how costly/cheap you provide the support is what that matters the most.

No technical / troubleshooting knowledge will put you in summer host list .

For buyers cheap doesn't guarentee quality at the same time costly also doesn't guarentee quality, What you should look for is the company's reputation at which you plan on making an order no matter how cheap / costly it is

• wpcwpc Member

is it just me or does nobody get help from chicagovps unless they open a thread here? I have a ticket opened because I ordered a promo off the webpage and they gave me something completely different. 512MB vs 128MB. I opened a ticket and it just sits there. Cancelled the service and issued a chargeback on paypal. Just waiting at this point

• VPSRAIDSolutions said: I'm not trying to divert customers to our side but kindly feel free to try us

Yeah, you'd probably do so much better....

Your TOS is still stolen. From here. Maybe it's a template but I am pretty sure you, your company and your servers have nothing to do with 'Ontario and Canada'. (History of stealing content).

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • edited August 2014

@AThomasHowe said:
    Your TOS is still stolen. From here. Maybe it's a template but I am pretty sure you, your company and your servers have nothing to do with 'Ontario and Canada'. (History of stealing content).

You expect a new comer ( with no budget ) getting a good design ?? let alone content about what he doesn't know ??

And for your kind info i haven't taken it from there I've taken it from servermania , and im designing my own site which is currently available @ https://www.vpsraid.com/test/

which in my opinion isn't stolen from anywhere to be precise

I'll write my own simple policies after i know what exactly is to be mentioned in them until then i can't replace the existing one.

You've only spoken about stolen content and not about services any specific reason ??

Also tweaking the whmcs to match it @ https://billing.vpsraid.com/?systpl=something

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited August 2014

VPSRAIDSolutions said: You expect a new comer ( with no budget ) getting a good design ?? let alone content about what he doesn't know ??

That's the least of what I expect. This is business.

VPSRAIDSolutions said: I'll write my own simple policies after i know what exactly is to be mentioned in them until then i can't replace the existing one.

Your TOS is not legally binding as you, the owner, has obviously not even read it.

VPSRAIDSolutions said: You've only spoken about stolen content and not about services any specific reason ??

It's all about professionalism and how you come across. You can't even be arsed to properly outline the terms of your service or the legal obligations of you and your users. Heaven forbid what the server setup is like.

Not to mention you rebranded to get away from all the clouds4india crap and do the exact same things with your new brand.

Don't try and poach people from CVPS to your equally as bad if not worse brand. At least CVPS is the devil you know.

e: CVPS not GVH. Sorry, reading two threads.

Thanked by 1MannDude