Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ / KVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ / KVM

2»

Comments

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

I would like to see more (quantity of people, not quantity of competence) competent individuals in the market as providers and customers both. I welcome (with open arms) anyone who wants to come and be a legitimate host, regardless of age, ethnicity, etcetera.

A few tips regarding hardware choices:

• Check the features of the processors you plan to use, AVX is very important; as is a recent version of SSE support (4.2 for example). VT-x is an obvious requirement for hardware-assisted virtualization. (If AMD, check the equivalent.)

• DDR2 RAM, as well as DDR3-1033 and slower RAM speeds are completely unacceptable, you will feel the benefits of using DDR3-1600 or better RAM once your node starts to have some machines on it. Especially if you are leveraging the page cache.

• Don't trust the kernel to know what's best for it, that's what the entire /sys/kernel/ and /proc/sys/ and related paths on the *nix system are for, they are tunables that allow you to optimize your systems based on testing and knowledge.

• BBUs have a tendency to fail (if you're as lucky as I am), so if you're going to use LSI Hardware RAID cards, you should opt for the CacheVault option, which doesn't need to be charged; and fails much less catastrophically.

• Currently acquired node from IOFLOOD and they provided LSI RAID with cache vault so I guess its safe to say its good

• Despite their poor choice in datacenters (jk), we've always heard excellent things about IOFlood.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited August 2014

GoodHosting said: Purchase hardware

Ship it to a datacenter
    You're only now paying colocation, IPs, power, bandwidth.

I don't think you got my point. If a dedicated server company can't make money on $3.33/GB, then how can you split up a server and sell multiple services to make money at that price? I just hope you are planning for the future. Just because you had the money to purchase the hardware doesn't mean you shouldn't include the depreciation costs of that hardware when figuring your pricing, eventually you'll need to buy new hardware if you are planning for the long term. Secondly, you also need to figure maintenance costs, hardware failures, extra hardware on site.

• I think @GoodHosting can take care of himself @vdnet

• Well after considering alot of facts regarding clients im planning to halt kvm and provide pure ssd openVZ without overselling , would like to observe how clients react and according to that will plan further

• Also all the other hosters have shown me that i have got more to learn before providing services in this field so will do a little bit more research before providing and will take my own time , currently im partnered with another company prohostingserver.com although we share 50% - 50% of node expenses ill stop this and start my own node soon its alot better i guess