Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for low end dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for low end dedi

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited June 2012 in General

Hey guys, I am looking for a low end dedicated server, to do some virtualization tests on, however I need KVM/IPMI. I plan on testing different kernel's , 3rd party software, panels and whatever else I can think of. At the moment I am leasing a server at a decent low price, doing KVM tests on it, however it does not come with IPMI/KVM, which is a problem, as I can not even reinstall the OS.

I am as well looking to purchase a second hand server, with similar low-end specs for the same purpose, so if you have seen any offers on ebay/wht/other website or you are selling one yourself, hit me up.

Comments

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

Ipmi- look for supermicro. I am not sure but I think serverstadium has something similar for abut 100/no. I do not think you will be able to get anything cheaper than that with ipmi support.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk I dont think LH is looking for a rent, more like have the HW at home. that will make it easy to do all kind of tests without paying much.
    M

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

VolumeDrive has ipmi on their top end server. For what it is you can't get a better deal from a company you can be sure will be alive next month. Wouldn't use them for production, but probably wouldn't use anyone else for testing. Email them about stock, they're quite friendly and accommodating if you ask them for what you want.

Thanked by 1Caasi
    edited June 2012

As I said, unless he wants a box exactly as the one that will be in production, taking the machine home could be cheaper and offer more possibilities to test than one rented some place.
    M

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I am looking to lease at the moment, if I can find a good offer, I will buy it. I am a bit worried about the delivery to my place, though.

Also, I got one old HP ML350 G3 standing over here, would I be able to run KVM virtualization on it, counting it does not have (not sure though) any inter virtualization techn or w/e it was called.

Thanked by 1VPNsh

without Intel VT you can at most run xen-pv or OVZ as full virtualization wont work.
    M

• Whats your price range?

• Secured Servers allow you to use temp KVM. -- Maybe you can work something out with them. They're budget.

No price range set. It will be used for testing only, so I expect to keep it on low budget.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I suppose kimsufi is the true cheap option, but they like to make a few things more difficult than they have to be with their vKVM.

• @LiquidHost said: I will buy it. I am a bit worried about the delivery to my place, though.

Why? UPS has no issues to your country, we used it too.
    I shipped @rds100 some stuff also from Austria with the normal post (and he back) - no issue.

Well to be honest, I am still waiting for 2 tablets shipped through UPS from the USA.. since Christmas (of course, I gave up waiting). I am a bit of worried that the delivery itself might cost more than the server itself as well.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

UPS? or USPS?

Damn, did not read it correctly, neither write it. I meant USPS. UPS makes much more sence.. I was talking about USPS, thought William was as well talking about it :P . Thanks for pointing out.

Well, the problem is not USPS, I have sent too many things to the US and they have been good. the problem relies in your local office =P - I prefer sending international things to my cousin in the US than sending them to Mexico - they get lost -

@netomx said: Well, the problem is not USPS, I have sent too many things to the US and they have been good. the problem relies in your local office =P - I prefer sending international things to my cousin in the US than sending them to Mexico - they get lost -

That's exactly what I meant. The problem is in the local office, I am qutie sure that some fat employe is now playing with my ex's Christmas present.

@LiquidHost said: fat employe is now playing with my ex's Christmas present.

ahahahaahah exactly my feeling :(

@liam said: UPS

He meant USPS =P

• Ups once lost a truck with my new macbook pro in it. They just lost it and ordered a new one from apple lol

• @djvdorp said: Ups once lost a truck with my new macbook pro in it. They just lost it and ordered a new one from apple lol

USPS or UPS?

• @AH-Dominic said: USPS or UPS?

Real UPS. The black van with gold letters. Apples default courrier here in Holland.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@djvdorp said: The black van with gold letters.

You mean brown?

• @nabo said: You mean brown?

Yes that one, dark brown. I thought it was black.

• @netomx said: UPS? or USPS?

UPS. Not USPS.

@djvdorp said: Real UPS. The black van with gold letters. Apples default courrier here in Holland.

Not only there, Worldwide i think.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • try theprimehost.com

used them before. They are really good

edited June 2012

I was hoping for some cheaper servers for leasing, as they need to be really low end. I already got a place to get them for <80$ monthly, but was looking for alternatives. As I will be basically just testing out things, with no users on it. I already got a new server beeing setup for beta testing of KVM, which will suit for production server once the beta-testing period ends.

I had bad experience with them. However, their support solved them, took only 2 months -.- . But I got to say that once Sarah took over my case, it took them an hour to resolve everything.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

We have some Atoms for 29EUR - Dualcore with HT, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, Traffic Unlimited, IPs as needed :)
    Can throw in a Spider KVM for free unless we need them

• I also have some Q6600, but they are rather power hungry (but already been paid off) - 50EUR or so, need to calculate on monday if you want.

@William said: I also have some Q6600, but they are rather power hungry (but already been paid off) - 50EUR or so, need to calculate on monday if you want.

HMU once you calculate the costs for them. :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser