Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you know any way to continuously check iops? Suspended for abusing i/o - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you know any way to continuously check iops? Suspended for abusing i/o

2»

Comments

• @taipres said: I guess no one wants quality these days

You can't have a quality VPS if you've got someone hammering the disk.

• dnomdnom Member

So back to the topic before it gets derailed completely

Do you know any way to continuously check iops?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

do a cron iostat and then send to yourself via email?

• Apparently you can do this with Munin

Thanked by 2dnom jcaleb
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@gsrdgrdghd said: Apparently you can do this with Munin

More than once I've heard people complain about Munin causing abnormally high disk I/O - so I'm not sure whether that is the best option here :P

Thanked by 2TheHackBox djvdorp
  • DamianDamian Member

@joepie91: Munin nodes don't use a lot of resources, but the graphing system itself does... hence our Munin installation runs on a 'utility' server

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: More than once I've heard people complain about Munin causing abnormally high disk I/O - so I'm not sure whether that is the best option here :P

Munin is a major resource hog for the few seconds it is running (and if multiple VPSs on the same node keep the default cron setup it will look something like this).

As for the argument of how this was handled, there is a very simple solution that other providers might want to take note of when handling resource abuse... DO NOT SUSPEND! Simple as that. When we find a resource abuser we turn off the VPS and in the ticket we tell them they can power it back on via SolusVM and fix the problem at their convenience instead of waiting for us.

Here's the standard message we use for resource abuse (we include appropriate details afterwards):

Your VPS has been turned off due to high resource usage for an extended period of time to the point it was impacting other clients on the node. You may turn your VPS back on at your convenience but please look into this problem and resolve it quickly. If you need assistance please let us know and we will do our best to help you. Future instances may result in your VPS being suspended and your account being invoiced for a Resource Usage Fee which will be required before your VPS will be un-suspended (please read our TOS for more information about this). Thank you.

• @KuJoe said: As for the argument of how this was handled, there is a very simple solution that other providers might want to take note of when handling resource abuse... DO NOT SUSPEND

Remember that quality I was talking about? There it is :)

• DamianDamian Member

@Kujoe: That's a good idea. Does it really work, or do you end up suspending users anyway?

• @KuJoe said: When we find a resource abuser we turn off the VPS and in the ticket we tell them they can power it back

agree.. except if they're abuse our network (read: ddos)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@taipres said: Well you make a good point, still the random service disable and 2 day delay in answering a ticket is unacceptable. Here's how they should of handled it, via automated means or otherwise.

You know something, you make a lot of good suggestions, not these alone, but overall, over many previous posts as well, but you are making them to the wrong segment of th industry, these are lowendboxes after all. But you seem ok with spending money on development/monitoring/hardware or whatever your crusade of the day is, that is just not realistic many times at this budget level.

If you abuse my nodes, I will suspend you, actually I do not even suspend anyone for resource abuse, I identify the abuse, open a ticket to the user with details, and stop their VPS, telling them in the ticket when they have time, they can simply visit solus and restart their VPS. We all may not share the same time schedule, so they can get to it when they have time, and I've left them a way to do that so I can go sleep too. Now if they simply restart their VPS and do nothing, they get suspended.

But the point has been made, and you seem to not accept if you are abusing resources all your neighbors should suck it up til you are good and ready to deal with the problem. Put the shoe on the other foot, some abuser is telling you to suck it up, they will rectify your poor performance when they are good and ready, have a tall cool glass of stfu while waiting.

Suspending/stopping the abuse is the better solution, and if you can't see it, you need to look within some.

• biplabbiplab Member

I use Observium.

It can generate iops graph. This graph is from one my server.

Unlike Munin, Observium doesn't regenerate graphs at certain interval. This reduces load on the host server.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2012

Today I will agree with @taipres n_n

So, how you monitor the IOPS stuff? Anything in terminal? Some file in /proc maybe? I don't want to install bloated stuff :P

• CoreyCorey Member

What package were they using to see how much IOPS he was using?

• DamianDamian Member

@biplab said: nlike Munin, Observium doesn't regenerate graphs at certain interval.

Does it only generate graphs when they're requested, then? Or something else?

• biplabbiplab Member
    edited June 2012

@Damian said: Does it only generate graphs when they're requested, then?

Yes, graphs are generated whenever user wants to view them.

I also like it's user interface. However I can't comment on it's extensibility.

• CoreyCorey Member

Yea I don't understand why 'graphs' would be generated every X mins... sounds like waste of resources... all you need to do is have the data sitting there waiting to be graphed when person comes in to see it.

• biplabbiplab Member

@Corey said: Yea I don't understand why 'graphs' would be generated every X mins... sounds like waste of resources... all you need to do is have the data sitting there waiting to be graphed when person comes in to see it.

Munin creates static html pages and thus it needs to regenerate those images at every x minutes in order to keep that page updated. It needs to regenerate (No of Server) times (No of Service Monitored) times (No of graphs per service, e.g. Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc) graphs to keep those static pages updated.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: @Kujoe: That's a good idea. Does it really work, or do you end up suspending users anyway?

There was only one user who insisted that our TOS wasn't valid and would run whatever they wanted but after 2 warnings they realized we weren't playing around. The rest learned their lesson after being shutdown (although some didn't know what SolusVM was so they had no idea how to turn it back on).

@Mon5t3r said: agree.. except if they're abuse our network (read: ddos)

We have an automated system for that sort of stuff. ;)

@biplab said: I use Observium.

+1. We use Observium and Munin for our node monitoring (Observium primarily for network, munin for the pretty graphs on our website).

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: You know something, you make a lot of good suggestions, not these alone, but overall, over many previous posts as well, but you are making them to the wrong segment of th industry, these are lowendboxes after all. But you seem ok with spending money on development/monitoring/hardware or whatever your crusade of the day is, that is just not realistic many times at this budget level.

Just because you offer cheaper plans doesn't mean you shouldn't give all your customers a certain level of professionalism and common curiosity. I'm not fighting the guy getting suspended if he was degrading the server intentionally or untentionally to the point where it was affecting other users, no my issue was with how it was handled. If you can suspend a user then you can warn a user too...it's the very least you can do, send off an email letting them know why and what they need to do to get it back up. @KuJoe's method of letting them unsuspend themselves is brilliant because that's less work he has to do, and all can be automated, plus it treats the customer in a professional way. Where as treating customers like dirt and not answering their tickets for 2 days while they have no access to the service they payed is not ok. If you or whoever dislike being a host, then either fake it, or pursue something else, but don't take it out on customers, because things could always be a lot worse. You could be working at walmart or something making barely anything, and have to put up customers face to face all day being rude and having 0 appreciation for what you do. Looking down on you because they think them having a better job, makes them better than you, which isn't true regardless, but i've read guys with phd's are working at taco bell right now. So anytime I get frustrated with business related things, I remember that, and you should too.