Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you know any way to continuously check iops? Suspended for abusing i/o
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you know any way to continuously check iops? Suspended for abusing i/o

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited June 2012 in Help

My vps provider susped me for abusing i/o.

I open a ticket at 20 june 2012:
my account suspended for abusing i/o. can you please tell me what was the standard i/o per vps? for long you tolerate max i/o speed?

They replied at 22 june 2012 (so lazy in replyin):
`Hello,

Typically we suspend upon a sustained usage of 30 - 50 IOPS you were in the 60's... If you want we can unsuspend you, but if it happens again we'd have to stop your service.`

In first ticket my question is not appropriate?why they not directly tell me what mb i able to use in harddisk for how long?then again i replied ticket:

`how to i check iops?
unsuspend me.

u dont tell me what amount i/o i able to use?
is this 25mb/50mb allowed for so long?
why you not clearly answer?`

is their any wrong question in asking?another 2 days wait for their reply :( worst service in ticket reply :'(

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

That seems fair of them, and polite to offer a second chance. It shouldn't have to be stated exactly where the line is drawn. Acceptable numbers vary based on how full the node is and what others are doing on it. If you need the ability to continuously use disk intensive applications, you should consider something a bit less shared.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

how much is 60 iops? is that big?

• Thanks for their chance.But in future how to i check my current i/o using to avoid termination?

@jarland said: That seems fair of them, and polite to offer a second chance. It shouldn't have to be stated exactly where the line is drawn. Acceptable numbers vary based on how full the node is and what others are doing on it. If you need the ability to continuously use disk intensive applications, you should consider something a bit less shared.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb a single SATA 7200RPM disk has about 100 random IOPs
    So a RAID10 of 4x SATA 7200RPM disks would have about 200 IOPs for write or 400 IOPs for read.

@raihan0888 what are you doing with the VPS? Consider getting a SSD powered VPS, IOPs should not be a problem there.

Does iostat work in openvz? I can't say I've ever checked, never cared too much as my I/O usage should always be very low.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • @rds100 said: @raihan0888 what are you doing with the VPS? Consider getting a SSD powered VPS, IOPs should not be a problem there.

torrent download for personal use.and seed them at 1:1 ration. is this iops and harddisk read/write not same thing?

• blackblack Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOPS

If you're doing that many IOPS sustained, of course they're going to suspend you. Consider getting a dedicated hard drive (if they provide that), a higher IOPS VPS provider (gridvirt is apparently good) or go with a dedicated server.

• rds100rds100 Member

@raihan0888 yes, torrenting is very bad for the disks.
    By IOPs they mean random IO (exactly what the torrents do).
    A single disk car read/write with maybe 120-150 MB/s for sequential IO. However if you read/write 4k blocks at random places (what the torrents do) - the disk needs to seek all the time and everything becomes slooow.

• rds100rds100 Member

@raihan0888 and about read/write having different IOPs - it depends of the smartness of the RAID card. If you need to write 100MB, it has to be written to two disks at the same time (mirror). If you need to read 100MB, it can read 50MB from one disk and 50MB from the other mirror disk - because they both should have the same data. So for reads the IOPs should be higher.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Torrents will hammer io. Dont use that on low end boxes unless you limit the speed heavily and the number of dl/ul that take place same time. If this is copyrighted stuff they will eventually kill your service anyway.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@rds100rds100 thanks. so he is eating a large part of the disk io then.

@raihan0888 maybe consider another way to share files?

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

Can you please list who this VPS provider is, because I want to make sure never ever to use them. No warning given, suspended, 2 days to answer a ticket and undo it...yeah they're not someone i'd use. They should of emailed you letting you know you were using too much, and that they'd suspend if you kept it up, and they shouldn't take days to answer tickets. Makes me wish the positions were reversed and they had to sit there and wait 2 days for you to answer them, while their servers was offline, see how they like it...what if you had been running business websites on there? or something you need online...i'm so tired of these overnight rinky dink bob's NEW VPS businesses popping up and they don't know how to operate. Not much to ask for professionalism, if they can't be professional they have no business accepting others money for service.

• TazTaz Member

@taipres here is the situation
    50 vps running on a server, 1 vps starts to use 60-100 iops. Emailing /contacting a person and waiting for his/her response would take 1-2 days at minimum. Mean while for that 1 person, 49 other client starts to complain. Now what should a provider do? Give abuser 24-48 hour to fix the issue and let other suffer? Ehm, I do not think so. I know there has to be a fare usage clause somewhere. It is pretty much same as giving parking ticket. You do not get warned.

Thanked by 2Kairus marrco
  • VictorVictor Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: Can you please list who this VPS provider is, because I want to make sure never ever to use them. No warning given, suspended, 2 days to answer a ticket and undo it...yeah they're not someone i'd use. They should of emailed you letting you know you were using too much, and that they'd suspend if you kept it up, and they shouldn't take days to answer tickets. Makes me wish the positions were reversed and they had to sit there and wait 2 days for you to answer them, while their servers was offline, see how they like it...what if you had been running business websites on there? or something you need online...i'm so tired of these overnight rinky dink bob's NEW VPS businesses popping up and they don't know how to operate. Not much to ask for professionalism, if they can't be professional they have no business accepting others money for service.

You are making assumptions when you don't have the full story. How do YOU know no warnings were given? And I am pretty sure almost every provider has a clause in their TOS that grants them right to suspend a VPS at any time without consent provided they have a good enough reason, so I'd say it's reasonable to suspend if it's seriously affecting other clients. If you're running a business, you'd obviously suspend the ONE client that's affecting the whole node instead of waiting for a reply and risk losing all the clients on that node, wouldn't you? (You can explain the situation to them later on, and if they're not satisfied or have a valid reason, then fine, you can compensate them. It's better than the alternative of possibly compensating the whole node's clients due to poor performance.) Would you risk a whole lot of bad reviews over one client, one bad review? And lastly, what gives you the right to judge a provider when you don't even know which provider it is? How do you know it's a fly-by-night host?

P.S: I doubt any provider would want a client like you anyway.

Thanked by 1Kairus
    edited June 2012

User 1 reports low disk I/O.
    User 2 gets early warning to cut it out.
    User 1 waits for user 2 to cut it out, and his provider won't take immediate action on the abuser.

No thanks @taipres , I'd prefer my providers to take immediate action for me, not let me suffer while they give abusive clients the benefit of the doubt. If he was causing performance issues, clients who aren't causing them are of higher importance.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Victor said: You are making assumptions when you don't have the full story. How do YOU know no warnings were given? And I am pretty sure almost every provider has a clause in their TOS that grants them right to suspend a VPS at any time without consent provided they have a good enough reason, so I'd say it's reasonable to suspend if it's seriously affecting other clients. If you're running a business, you'd obviously suspend the ONE client that's affecting the whole node instead of waiting for a reply and risk losing all the clients on that node, wouldn't you? Would you risk a whole lot of bad reviews over one client, one bad review? And lastly, what gives you the right to judge a provider when you don't even know which provider it is? How do you know it's a fly-by-night host?

P.S: I doubt the provider would want a client like you anyway.

I don't care what their TOS says, clearly the @op wasn't warned hence why he had to open a ticket to see what's going on. That's highly UNPROFESSIONAL of the company, THEN they take 2 days, not 5 minutes, not 5 hours, not even a full 24 hours, no they take 2 days to get back to him...meanwhile his service was suspended that entire time and he had no idea why. So I can tell you sir, this company is a joke, and they'll never have my business. If you operate like that, my advice to you is, don't.

@taipres he knew why it was suspended, it didn't take 2 days to figure that out. He had to ticket to ask for further details. Two days is a bit long, certainly, but they're still in the right here on everything, just slow to respond.

• TazTaz Member

@taipres here is the situation, I had a client ( shared hosting), abusing CPU crapping the server down. Sent her an email, no response for 48 hours. Suspended, got an email with in 30 minutes saying they were on vacation. Now I do not got that much time to wait on vps node.

edited June 2012

@taipres said: and they'll never have my business

You wont like it when your business is hindered by low io. So they wont have your business anyway, why would they care, then ?
    M

• VictorVictor Member

@taipres said: I don't care what their TOS says, clearly the @op wasn't warned hence why he had to open a ticket to see what's going on. That's highly UNPROFESSIONAL of the company, THEN they take 2 days, not 5 minutes, not 5 hours, not even a full 24 hours, no they take 2 days to get back to him...meanwhile his service was suspended that entire time and he had no idea why. So I can tell you sir, this company is a joke, and they'd never have my business. If you operate like that, my advice to you is, don't.

While I agree that it's unprofessional to take 2 days for a reply from the provider, I still think that their action was justifiable. They simply couldn't risk degrading the server's performance and losing clients all over ONE single client (that may or may not be an abuser). And it still does not justify you bashing a provider you don't even know.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: @taipres here is the situation

50 vps running on a server, 1 vps starts to use 60-100 iops. Emailing /contacting a person and waiting for his/her response would take 1-2 days at minimum. Mean while for that 1 person, 49 other client starts to complain. Now what should a provider do? Give abuser 24-48 hour to fix the issue and let other suffer? Ehm, I do not think so. I know there has to be a fare usage clause somewhere. It is pretty much same as giving parking ticket. You do not get warned.

Well you make a good point, still the random service disable and 2 day delay in answering a ticket is unacceptable. Here's how they should of handled it, via automated means or otherwise.

1)detect the very high IOPS usage, if it doesn't continue beyond a certain timeframe then just send an email warning the user it was high and if it continued it'd effect the stability of the node and as such they'd unfortunately would have to suspend them. If it continued beyond a certain period, still send the email only indicating they had to suspend that second and give advice and steps they need to take to get their node back online.

2)they should have someone ready that same day to get their node back up after the client emails them and knows what they were doing wrong and agrees to turn it off/config it better.

That's professionalism, shutting down a node with no notice and giving no indication as to why, and then not answering the users ticket for 2 days is NOT. This reminds me WHT TBH, they have no problem banning, issuing infractions etc...in a split second, but they can take over a year to answer a users ticket, they like this company mentioned above are a joke.

• TazTaz Member

@taipres my wht support experience? Average 3-6 hour response time. Bad luck for you sir.

• @NinjaHawk said: @taipres my wht support experience? Average 3-6 hour response time. Bad luck for you sir.

Many don't get a response in 3-6 hours, i saw a thread of various users complaining that it had been months with no response, some even over a year. It's not about "luck" it's about WHT being run like a circus, they pick and choose tickets to answer i'm sure, and focus on keeping the money streams a flowing. Since providers are happy to pay them 300+ for notifications of users saying their company name on the forums and other silly stuff. But whatever, more power to them, I just know what they do could be done a million times better.

@taipres said: and focus on keeping the money streams a flowing

That is normal, I dont see a problem with it. As long as users are still there, it is correct for them to make a profit.
    M

• In this case, the disk is hammered by running a personal torrent client. so i would side the provider. In cases such as dmca / virus / botnet etc.,, i think the provider can limit the damage by throttling/such measures and give a reasonable time for the user before suspending

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I side with the provider. Consider yourself when your vps neighbors are doing lots of io.

Thanked by 1marrco

Also with the provider, but a bit more care to tickets and at least a notice he was suspended would have been the norm.
    M

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

Go ahead and side with the provider, and maybe if you get your VPS shutdown for 2 days and no answer from said provider you'll be ok with that too... See this is problem, not that they pull these kind of stunts but that you guys accept it and "side with them" on it. I guess no one wants quality these days, oh well, i'm sure they'll be happy to read this thread, as that's less work/caring for them. When people stop accepting anything less than quality, that's when they'll start getting it, and some providers already give it because they understand good business. They understand that if you want anyone other than kids and hobbist to buy from you, they can't act unprofessional, and so i'm sure these type of companies are doing very well.

edited June 2012

I woldnt go that far and say I accept that kind of treatment. I simply think they were right to suspend, not the way they did it and I wouldnt renew, but running torrents kinda calls for it.
    In that sense. yes, suspension was needed, they could throttle somehow if they wanted, but I am sure suspension was warranted by ToS and AuP, no, suspending without a notice and 42 hours on tickets is below par to say the least.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

ok. maybe just shutdown the vps and notify the customer is best. but depends i think on tos.

but you see. this is shared. like a condo building. there should be rules. or many are affected too.