Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

verification method - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

verification method

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Corey said: Do you realize how much money fraud orders cost providers?

I doubt most people do.

@Gallus said: If I have to send a copy of my passport to rent a $20 per year VPS you don't trust me enough to engage in a (business) relation.

Yeah, but they don't know you, which is kind of the point. You are in effect saying they should trust anyone and everyone who walks in.

@Gallus said: I realise that many LEB providers have been burnt many times by fraud, but that does not change the fact that most (I hope) of your customers are honest clients who want to be treated as such.

Each fraudulent customer comes with:

• chargeback ($15+)
    • damage to the merchant account
    • IP blacklisting
    • service degredation
    • police hassles

It does not take many fraudulent orders to eliminate profits from honest ones.

• GallusGallus Member

@MiTgib that's the funny thing with doing business: You both start out without any history with each other.

When I signed up with your company I did not know you, you did not know me.
    Based on the comments on LEB I had enough confidence to give it a try. I passed your sign up process, so you were willing to try it too. You gave me a vps, I paid you a year up front.

Why would I have to be the one to proof my trustworthyness with a copy of my passport?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Gallus said: Why would I have to be the one to proof my trustworthyness with a copy of my passport?

Honestly, I've never asked anyone for any more justification, I either accept the order or I refund their money and we both walk away. If I was selling dedicated servers, I would ask for more though, but I agree, for a cheap VPS, even 2-3 months in, I've been burnt on the deal, so I put the VPS back up for sale and keep on going and hope I don't lose too much on the deal. I hate to say this, but Brazil residents have burnt me one too many times that I am seriously considering alternatives for new clients from that location.

• GallusGallus Member

@ Damian,

I do not have a problem with verification, but there is a point where the verification gets too much.

• GallusGallus Member

@miTgiB,

Part of my point: It is a 2 sided transaction. If you get burnt often by a type of customers too often you have the right to refuse the transaction.

If customers from country x cause you damage then the simple solution is: don't accept customers from that country.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: but Brazil residents have burnt me one too many times that I am seriously considering alternatives for new clients from that location.

We too! Only got phishing professionals and chargeback! Damn...

• CoreyCorey Member

@Gallus how is showing photo ID 'too much'? For your $20 account alone they will loose all that money plus some if one fraud order comes through. If you don't trust the business enough to give them your photo ID maybe you shouldn't be signing up for services with them?

• rds100rds100 Member

Hmm, strange. The only Brasilian order that managed to get past maxmind is a very good customer - always pays on time, zero trouble, etc.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: Hmm, strange. The only Brasilian order that managed to get past maxmind is a very good customer - always pays on time, zero trouble, etc.

Maybe some good guy is with us (I don't remember) but lately all the phishing report we received were from Brasilian and Daniela told me that our first chargeback request (for 6 transactions) arrived from a Brasilian (all payments for 2 vps for 3 months)...

• GallusGallus Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey Exactly: I won't.
    I trust some enough to pay them up front without knowing for sure that they will be around for the entire period to provide the service I paid for.
    It is not entirely unknown for hosts to disappear....

The ones I might trust with my photo ID are the ones that I do business with. But they know me as a paying, non abusing customer so will never ask for it.

If I don't give reason to be distrusted I expect some trust in return. If not: no problem, it's a big world.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@prometeus said: Maybe some good guy is with us

I do have a good number of fantastic customers from Brazil, it's the amount of fraud also coming from there that has me looking at other ways to continue to allow the good without accepting the bad and ugly.