Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS and Domain Addiction !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS and Domain Addiction !

obakfahadobakfahad Member
edited August 2014 in Help

I am really pissed off about this behavior of mine "The more i get the more i want" and i can't resist checking or buying new VPS packs and domains from namecheap and others.

Guys help me out on this. Share your experience about your behave and give me idea how can i use effectively. I have 6 VPS from different VPS providers and 4 domains though 3 of them is personal. I had 3 more domains which were related to blogs and anonymous website. I didn't know what i really wanted to do with them. This is confusing. Do you have this kind of situation ? How do you suggest me to effectively use resources which i have already and not new resources...... ?

Does it look funny ? Maybe its personal but i know some of you guys had this type of situation. Let me know what you do in that situation.

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
About addictions remedy ...
  1. To be free from VPS buying addiction, Moving to shared hosting is a good idea or not ?11 votes
    1. Good
      18.18%
    2. Bad
      81.82%

Comments

• 6 vps is not an addiction. 46 is...

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • I know one or two here are into the 300's.

• @joereid said:
    6 vps is not an addiction. 46 is...
    @ricardo said:
    I know one or two here are into the 300's.

Where are they ? :O

• doesn't really matter to be fair. everyone has their own requirements...

as long as you're making good use of them. i agree it is strangely addictive acquiring more, though personally I get them on a need to use basis, not just because they're on offer.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • @obakfahad said:
    Where are they ? :O

@bella

• @ricardo said:
    doesn't really matter to be fair. everyone has their own requirements...

as long as you're making good use of them. i agree it is strangely addictive acquiring more, though personally I get them on a need to use basis, not just because they're on offer.

You could but several time i can't , :( that it is annoying when i think about it. I think i have to prioritize my needs as before looking into offers as you said ..

• what vps offers do you have? some really are too good to pass up

• @hostnoob said:
    what vps offers do you have? some really are too good to pass up

Yeah, like bluevms yearly packs or i had prometeus rock solid XEN pack, and now as i have seen drserver got a good review and 2.7$ windows vps (256mb) looked cool and bought it.

Inceptions microsvps.... DOs Singapore location ..... and others.... I also had strong addiction with dotvps's KVM and INIZ Netherlands KVM ... was cool to use ... Now i wanna settle down...

• BradBrad Member

@hostnoob said:
    bella

Eh, but he gets hacked every other week

• sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited August 2014

I have a dedicated server addiction, i have promised myself no more servers for a while now.

• I have around 15 and feel like I need more :/

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

Someone needs to make a therapy website to curb this terrible addiction. Hundreds of people are suffering right here on LET, but to date there is no effective treatment.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • @joereid said:
    6 vps is not an addiction.

Agreed, I have 12 and I not even using it yet.

• berkayberkay Member
    edited August 2014

Actual problem can be the how crappy the new VPS you bought rather than it's turning to an addiction. I just bought a VPS yesterday from a company, my reason to buying one was that it's being in my country. It provisioned instantly, I directly opened SSH to do some benchmarks. First, did an apt-get update. It took like 17-18 seconds to finish the database update. I thought that it's a bit slow. And after that, I wanted to look the sources.list but nano wasn't installed. So I tried to install it. It also took like 14-15 seconds. Then I thought like I should do a dd test and see how bad is the situation. Did it, waited for 7 minutes and got the result: 3,3 MB/s (Note that it's not about being a dd whore, VPS was almost unusable.). After that first thing I did was getting a refund. And I asked the support guy that if there are someone torrenting or something as I got 23 MB/s on my 8 yrs old laptop and 3,3 MB/s is extremely slow for a server even without RAID, he said that it's a shared environment, speeds may not be great and I'm the only one complaining about this issue. I thanked him and never looked back.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • Don't buy things you don't need.

• DroidDroid Member
    edited August 2014

FirstVM_com said: Don't buy things you don't need.

+1

• @FirstVM_com said:
    Don't buy things you don't need.

Tell your gf / wife that when she wants another pair of shoes.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2014

I have 6, but actively using only 2.

The others are either low-usage or zero usage.

• It's okay to buy, if you are not using it you can give it to the community. I know I won't refuse free gift. Lol

• ehabehab Member

step 1 stop
    step 2 think you are waisting time and money
    step 3 to feel better, donate 1 or more
    step 4 don't visit the offers page anymore

hope this helps

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • ehabehab Member
    edited August 2014

delete

• If you feel this is a big issue in your life you should start looking for help early, and do not let this get out control. It won't be long before 6 VPS's is 600!

• Delete your LET account and find something like Reddit that occupies your time but not your money. Or find something or someone in real life that you can dedicate your time to :)

edited August 2014

I think it's time to buy myself a new VPS. :D

• Find something else to spend your money on. Personally I've started spending a considerable amount of time in the confectionery isle at my local Tesco store and haven't purchased a VM for a month.

edited August 2014

@kcaj said:
    haven't purchased a VM for a month.

How could you? O_o

/joke

• Many people saying 6 is not addiction. I get it. But i am afraid it will be an real addiction.

I think i should rely on shared hosting. I should move all my website to a good shared hosting provider and will go away from all technical terms including LEB,LET and linux.

What do you think guys ?

• @obakfahad said:
    Many people saying 6 is not addiction. I get it. But i am afraid it will be an real addiction.

I think i should rely on shared hosting. I should move all my website to a good shared hosting provider and will go away from all technical terms including LEB,LET and linux.

What do you think guys ?

no, no, can't living without tec aspects, only shared is nout ours!

• A suggestion would be learning to overcome this "addiction" rather avoiding and hoping it'll go away. What if you have friends/co-workers often talking about vps?

I've had the same problem of sorts, also with shared hosting. Possibly a buying habit in general, not just vps.

Ask yourself about the main reasons you buy vps/domain, etc. Think about how that advantage could become a disadvantage if you have too many. What is "too many" to you? Example: if low prices are the attractive aspect of it, add up the total cost of the servers, over 1-2 years. Is there anything you could get with that sum that you've always wanted (motivation to cancel and spend on something you can enjoy more)? Which servers/domains do you use most often? Keep those and let the others go, or give to someone else who can put it to use.

Thanked by 1obakfahad
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

introducial said: Actual problem can be the how crappy the new VPS you bought rather than it's turning to an addiction. I just bought a VPS yesterday from a company, my reason to buying one was that it's being in my country. It provisioned instantly, I directly opened SSH to do some benchmarks. First, did an apt-get update. It took like 17-18 seconds to finish the database update. I thought that it's a bit slow. And after that, I wanted to look the sources.list but nano wasn't installed. So I tried to install it. It also took like 14-15 seconds. Then I thought like I should do a dd test and see how bad is the situation. Did it, waited for 7 minutes and got the result: 3,3 MB/s (Note that it's not about being a dd whore, VPS was almost unusable.). After that first thing I did was getting a refund. And I asked the support guy that if there are someone torrenting or something as I got 23 MB/s on my 8 yrs old laptop and 3,3 MB/s is extremely slow for a server even without RAID, he said that it's a shared environment, speeds may not be great and I'm the only one complaining about this issue. I thanked him and never looked back.

How about being a responsible member of this community, and publicly name which provider that was? (or better yet, make a review thread). While you don't care about doing any of that, others unknowingly walk into the same trap, wasting money and time on that provider.

said: "The more i get the more i want" and i can't resist checking or buying new VPS packs and domains from namecheap and others.

Just get one or two nice solid (and cheap) dedis from OVH or Online.net. Pretty soon you'll find yourself cancelling all your VPSes and when buying a new one, the question that'll stop you is "what can it do that I can't already run on this dedicated server I have".

Thanked by 1souen