Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Question] Collection agencies worldwide
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Question] Collection agencies worldwide

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Hi Gals and Lads

Can any of you suggest good debt collection agencies worldwide especially in:

• US and Canada,

• Indonesia,

• Belgium,

• Slovenia,

• Netherlands.

It's sad that we need to chase people (including few LET users) for few Euro.

Cheers

Peter

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to write off the debt for a tax incentive?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@trewq - our finance team handle this, but I want to start cooperation with few such companies so people will be aware when they sign up that potential debts will be collected. It's very popular way of handling stuff in some countries.

• Netherlands

Oh yeah almost forgot to pay my EUR2 invoice :c

@gbshouse said:
    trewq - our finance team handle this, but I want to start cooperation with few such companies so people will be aware when they sign up that potential debts will be collected. It's very popular way of handling stuff in some countries.

In my job we do this. It's a part of the initial contract that all debts will be collected through any means. Have you thought about keeping credit card details on file to auto charge people?

Good luck! I understand where you're coming from with this and debt collection is a bitch sometimes.

• trewq said: Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to write off the debt for a tax incentive?

It's more policy, principle and trying to get things right. If everyone just hits and runs the rest of the world would close shop.

@concerto49 said:
    It's more policy, principle and trying to get things right. If everyone just hits and runs the rest of the world would close shop.

True, I was just assuming that what he is trying to collect is a minority of overdue debts.

@trewq - yes, we thought about changes in billing system

• Dont waste your money on debt collectors. they are powerless and carnt do anything.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@trewq, @concerto49 - we have just ~10-15 debtors which drives us crazy

• @TarZZ92 said:
    Dont waste your money on debt collectors. they are powerless and carnt do anything.

And this is pretty true sadly, debt collectors don't have any authority and just try to scare people.

You can better go for a no cure no pay debt collector off

@gbshouse I sent you a mail to [email protected] and [email protected], idk if they are working mail addresses lol

@TheRedFox - both emails are fully operational

• Why don't you change your billing system so customers can only use prepaid credits? That way noone could aquire debt

Thanked by 2jar texteditor
  • LOL, so you are chasing after 15 people who owe around 2 euro each? Honestly if you have not allowed for 30 euro of loss from people like that with your current billing system (which is flawed), then you may want to reconsider your business plan..

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Why don't you change your billing system so customers can only use prepaid credits? That way noone could aquire debt

Because the accounting and liability isn't worth it.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Why don't you change your billing system so customers can only use prepaid credits? That way noone could aquire debt

Hmm, that would be much easier

When your DNS usages reaches 200K send a warning to top up your account if it's empty, then charge €2 from prepaid or just shutdown the domain.

But this would be not very user friendly lol

@0xdragon, @gsrdgrdghd - I'm chasing people with debt >= 50€. The problem with billing system is that we haven't found any CC processor which supports micropayments (the fees are too high). That's why we use PayPal in micropayments mode as main payment channel.

• mmmh, it is lucky that I have a unlimited account from @gbshouse, otherwise I will be chased :p

• @gbshouse

Just write off the "Debts" you will spend more money trying to collect them. and lets face it the chances of a customer paying is quite slim.

@TarZZ92

gbshouse said: I want to start cooperation with few such companies so people will be aware when they sign up that potential debts will be collected. It's very popular way of handling stuff in some countries

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2014

@gbshouse

as i have said its pointless. i have been there done that sorta thing. there is also the case of fake addresses/old addresses etc.

the prepayment method is way better. and you could automate it with whmcs

The only chance you have is legal action. but even still. the person can still refuse to pay.

Lads, we are not looking for opinions how to handle things but for some suggestions regarding well known or trusted debt collection agencies in specific countries.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited August 2014

Here is something I would do if I were you:

Step 1- Free tier of x amount.

Step 2- Warn user when they are near the tier.

Step 3- When their credit is just about empty, warn the user that their service will be suspended if they do not apply credit to their account.

Step 4- If they don't pay, suspend. If they do pay, continue service from step 2.

Thanked by 2texteditor Andri
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well just a tip, if you are in Europe and providing services to people in Europe you are allowed to chase the debts however you cannot suspend services for none payment AND chase the debt.

Abandoned accounts for example on yearly payments, for easy maths lets say it is €12.00 p/year

You cant suspend at 10 days overdue and chase the entire €12.00 you could probably get away with chasing €1.00.

All anyone would need to say is "I am not getting any material gain", and then it is up to you to prove your material loss caused by them not paying the bill, "could have sold it to another customer" will not cut it and even if it did they would only grant you material loss up to the point of suspension of service.

Of course if you are providing service in advance for payment later i.e. retrospective billing (brave thing on the internet) then you absolutely have grounds for collection.

• @AnthonySmith his services are not prepaid, he is seeking payment for services provided in the previous month.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I hear Hells Angels provide a global service of debt collecting.

Thanked by 3Amfy Mark_R orak
  • wychwych Member

@MikHo said:
    I hear Hells Angels provide a global service of debt collecting.

Tehe, why only a joke ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@wych said:
    Tehe, why only a joke ;)

Lol, when you quoted the < /joke> dissapeared. :)

• ztecztec Member

gbshouse said: we have just ~10-15 debtors which drives us crazy

How super small must your business be that 10-15 customers can drive you crazy? If it are just small amounts, don't waste your valuable time on it. ( Or maybe your time isn't valuable at all? )

Chances are that most debt isn't even collectable.

@ztec - the DNS is just one part of our business and it's profitable since month 1 mostly because we take care about financial aspect of operations. We do not chase small amounts (like 2-3€), I agree that's not worth. But 10-15 customers with unpaid 50€ and more gives you significant amount of money worth taking care of.

@MikHo - I like the Hell Angels idea :) would look nice next to our business name

Thanked by 1mikho
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2014

It will be cheaper to get a plane ticket and go find them yourself, make a fun trip out of it with a few friends if you know what I mean...