Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr - Website revamp + $5 free credit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr - Website revamp + $5 free credit

Comments

• @0xdragon - If I remember correctly I've already thrown $10 your way. Nice try :)

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@DaveA said:
    0xdragon - If I remember correctly I've already thrown $10 your way. Nice try :)

I feel a bit bad for @DaveA with all these people asking for free credit, must be annoying.

• @matthewvz - Can't blame them for trying ;-)

• @DaveA said:
    0xdragon - If I remember correctly I've already thrown $10 your way. Nice try :)

That was the joke, lol

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • I put my CC info on Vultr.com for that $5 promo, but never authorized a charge on it... was looking to see if the $100 for $100 promo was still active...

and it isn't... but, I'm showing a $5 authorization on my credit card to Vultr (hasn't charged yet) and $1 on my Vultr account (from following via twitter). scratch Would the authorization eventually be removed? lol.

• Signed up last night using the $5 free credit and I'm very impressed with the service provided. Seems very nice. I love the features. I'm really considering moving everything over from DigitalOcean over to Vultr. My only concern is how new Vultr is.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited August 2014

@MrZodiac If I'm not mistaken, Vultr is a subsidiary/sub-brand of Choopa, LLC. I believe they are Choopa's Lowend VPS Brand.

Choopa is one of the most established providers in the industry with a rather large and impressive global network footprint. While we no longer use Choopa (which has absolutely nothing to do with the service quality or uptime), I would trust them without hesitation.

If you're considering moving to them from DigitalOcean because of how impressed you are with the performance, go ahead. You won't regret it. These guys know what they are doing.

P.S. The only thing that I don't quite like about Vultr is this that when you $ cat /proc/cpuinfo it does not show you the actual CPU Type, it's masked to show "Vultr". Normally, I'd say it's a shady technique. But I personally trust Choopa. However, I think it's not cool to do that :-)

Thanked by 2MrZodiac DaveA
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited August 2014

@activecoupon said: DaveA: Double credit has ended ?

>

@n0my said:

>

@DaveA Can you please confirm?

+1

• Thsnks. Will check it out

• ztecztec Member

@drazilox said:
    Not responsive :'(

I couldn't believe it when you said it but it's actually true. What the hell.

• ztecztec Member

Added $5,- from paypal. But only that $5,- has been added.

Current Account Balance: $-7.00 (credit)

I also did some tweet stuff.

• @ztec - Open a ticket, we will add it for you. Theres been an issue with the $5 free and paypal. We'll get that patched up today.

Thanked by 1ztec
  • ztecztec Member

@DaveA said:
    ztec - Open a ticket, we will add it for you. Theres been an issue with the $5 free and paypal. We'll get that patched up today.

Good to hear from you. I created a ticket.
    Thanks.

Snappy server so far.

• Just finished running a serverbear benchmark on my new VPS from Vultr located in Dallas. Here is the link: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/08/12/u0XaLV2wen2nB1MW

Thanked by 1ztec
  • zevuszevus Member
    edited August 2014

I opened a ticket earlier and was only credited with the $5 I deposited via Paypal, so now it's $6 (instead of the $1 for following on Twitter).

I think I'd rather just have the $5 refunded, tbh... rather shoddy

ed: or rather, close out the authorization;

Time: 04:59:58 CDT

• ztecztec Member

@zevus said:
    I opened a ticket earlier and was only credited with the $5 I deposited via Paypal, so now it's $6 (instead of the $1 for following on Twitter).

I think I'd rather just have the $5 refunded, tbh... rather shoddy

ed: or rather, close out the authorization;

Time: 04:59:58 CDT

After a ticket and a link to this thread I got my extra $5,-

• TheKiller said: That is joke, My prepaid card has $4.85 in it. And when I add billing info it says; "Unable to process your payment: Credit Card number does not appear to be valid."

My card was also declined with $5 on it.

• edanedan Member

Still remember when many people bashing Vultr or even lough when Vultr try to challenge DO :)

• Vultr and DO... This is not going to end, now.. Is it?

Here's the difference between Vultr and DO.

DO: Has a fancy site, control panel, and focused on developers who may not necessarily be experienced system administrators.

Vultr is pretty much like Linode. Doing it right, great location diversity, great network backbone (Choopa, baby!), and less focused on fanciness.. If I had to choose between DO and Vultr, I'ld choose Vultr.

I am not affiliated with Vultr by any means. I actually have my own hosting business, but I'm not here to advertise it. I'm just here to be a part of the community.

Performance wise: Vultr > DO
    Uptime: Vultr > DO
    Fanciness: Vultr < DO
    Features: Vultr > DO

Like I said before, having used both, my only reservation on Vultr is the CPU Make Masking. I don't like it...

• @ztec said:
    After a ticket and a link to this thread I got my extra $5,-

Well, I think I did get my extra $5.... but there's still the $5 authorization charge on my paypal card that was completed.. the 'charge' hasn't been processed, but the way it is now, they could take the $5 whenever they wanted, even though that wasn't part of the promo.

I guess if I had less than $5 in my bank account right now I'd be sweating bullets, or something

but it would be nice if that charge was dropped (or give me $10 in vultr credits for it, hoho)

• You can create a ticket, they will credit $5 for you.

• @DaveA When i linked my credit card into my, $5 was actually deducted from my card. When i made a ticket, they added additional $5 to my account. When i asked for clarification, my ticket is assigned to billing department. Well, this is not exactly free $5 for linking a payment method as the promo said!!!

• I was so impressed with the service provided by Vultr. I have decided to move my production websites from DO to Vultr. :) They are providing a very nice service and I can't wait to see what the future holds for them.

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • @DaveA when will Vultr start charging for snapshots?

• @DaveA do you have any comment on cpu masking ?

• MrZodiacMrZodiac Member
    edited August 2014

Sweet I also just checked and have IPv6 enabled in my Dallas, Texas instance. :)

@kcaj said:
    DaveA when will Vultr start charging for snapshots?

Hopefully not anytime soon or atleast keep the snapshots at a budget price. I love the feature. It gives me comfort knowing I have a backup for emergencies.

• @upfreak said:
    DaveA When i linked my credit card into my, $5 was actually deducted from my card. When i made a ticket, they added additional $5 to my account. When i asked for clarification, my ticket is assigned to billing department. Well, this is not exactly free $5 for linking a payment method as the promo said!!!

It's a pre-auth to verify the card, it will not post to your account. Some banks handle it differently than others but it should clear off your pending charges within a few hours to a few days.

• @kcaj said:
    DaveA when will Vultr start charging for snapshots?

Not anytime soon.

Thanked by 1MrZodiac
  • @ftpit said:
    DaveA do you have any comment on cpu masking ?

That was a decision made from the soft launch. Our customers have spoken about it being a hindrance to reselling (seeing Vultr). We are evaluating how we want to handle that in the future.