Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cpu prices are becoming cheper still no cheap Dedicated cpu in hosting world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cpu prices are becoming cheper still no cheap Dedicated cpu in hosting world

ad0ad0 Member
edited August 2014 in General

Hi

To all providers

i cant believe ovh use a cpu worth 15$ to 50$ on ebay and sells the server for $42 SYS-IP-1 Intel Xeon W3520

If your can provide ram cheap and ssd cheap then dedicated Cpu is possible

I am talking 2ghz+ dual core dedicated for $5 to $7 just do the match its possible

People who just want Cpu will benefite it

Cpues are becoming Cheap but i donot see any provider doing this

A node like this spec is possible for $5 to $7:

Xeon dual core 2Ghz

1 to 2gb ram

10Gb SSD (crucial)

band 1TB (100mbps Shared port)

So guy what do you think?

Comments

• Just see how much power this hardware would use, then think if $5 to $7 would be enough to cover just the power cost.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think there is a bit more to it than the price of the CPU. :) you don't see the energy companies lowering prices and you never will.

Thanked by 3netomx Droid Shoaib_A
  • wychwych Member
    edited August 2014

1) Cost of energy and extras to the node.

2) AbusiveCores

3) Kimsufi

Thanked by 1netomx
  • W3HostW3Host Member
    edited August 2014

A few other factors you're not thinking about:

Energy costs (not only the server but cooling etc)

Hardware has to be replaced when abused or out of date

Staff costs (technical staff in datacenter and company)

Website costs (licencing etc)

IP Ranges

Bandwidth

The company has to be profitable

Besides, no doubt a datacenter has all of that liability for it's staff and insurance in case of disaster etc.

• To user: I can't believe this is happening. There's support cost, cost of the rest of server (it's not just CPU), cost of space / power, cost of bandwidth, and cost of a lot more - website, business reg, IPs, etc the list goes on.

• We offer dedicated CPU power on all our OpenNebula Enterprise Cloud plans.

That being said, you're not going to get a physical piece of hardware at that cost, there are various overheads for most hosting companies that should be taken into consideration when comparing the cost of the hardware to the cost of service.

• Support costs (employees or contract, still costs money)
    • License costs (cPanel, WHMCS, whatever else may have it)
    • Power costs (price per kVa , or per 15amp to the rack, etc.)
    • Internet costs (You may not think it, but a single 10Gbps pipe from a provider that doesn't suck can run you as much as $7,000 per month easily (especially if your commit is 1Gbps or more.)

There are numerous other costs associated with hardware as well that must be considered, and many of these costs are overlooked when people compare hardware cost to the cost that someone is willing to sell a server for:

What happens when parts die?

They must be replaced, but how?

• Sourcing old or outdated (discontinued) parts can be expensive.
    • Discontinued parts may have gone completely out of manafacturing.

You need to keep parts on site to be able to replace failed parts in a server quickly, which means that the "cost of a server" should almost always be upped by at least 50% to include the cost of replacement parts such as an extra CPU, some extra sticks of RAM, some more SSDs for when those fail, a power supply or two; etc.

Thanked by 2deadbeef comXyz
  • ztecztec Member
    edited August 2014

I guess you should start a server-outlet and sell dedicated servers for colocation.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: A node like this spec is possible for $5 to $7:

Post your order link or GTFO with your silliness.

said: So guy what do you think?

I think you need a spellchecker.

• raindog308 said: Post your order link or GTFO with your silliness.

+1 there. Nailed it!

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited August 2014

@noosVPS said: +1 there. Nailed it!

Well then who we got here

what about this?

how do you sell KVM 1gb ram 2gb swap for $4 you mostly are overselling. Overselling host and it KVM. You sure are a good in escaping microsoft license

• @ad0 said:

just the usual summer host. they probably won't be around next month so doesn't really matter.

Thanked by 1ad0
  • SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

@ad0 said:
    Overselling host and it KVM. You sure are a good in escaping microsoft license

Uh... What's the connection between KVM and Microsoft?

• ad0 said: how do you sell KVM 1gb ram 2gb swap for $4 you mostly are overselling. Overselling host and it KVM. You sure are a good in escaping microsoft license

Dude, stop making wild assumptions. Just because you do so, or have been victim of any provider who did so to you doesn't give you the license to come to such wild conclusions with no proof.

Just so you know, ee got atleast 72GB RAM on servers to host VPS's. Once it is packed, we order next server instead of adding clients into the same server. When we say we dont oversell, we mean it. I do not wish to hijack somebody's thread so let's leave this thread like it is.

• Aah, just noticed. It's your thread! Venting your frustration against somebody on someone else..

• Saiku said: Uh... What's the connection between KVM and Microsoft?

God knows!

• ad0ad0 Member

@noosVPS said:
    Just so you know, ee got atleast 72GB RAM on servers to host VPS's. Once it is packed, we order next server

Reseller do not survie no matter how you fit it

@noosVPS said:
    so let's leave this thread like it is.

I think i wont it sound better this way

@noosVPS said:
    Aah, just noticed. It's your thread! Venting your frustration against somebody on someone else..

Look in your mirror

And yaa forgot to say you advertise really big on your site

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

ad0 said: Reseller do not survie no matter how you fit it

So sorry you think that way. But that is not the case. Our datacenter is Dacentec. You/anyone is free to go ask them if noosvps.com has any servers with them or not, or you can verify this in any other possible way.

Its rather funny that you are fine with someone's "GTFO with your silliness" comment, but got so pissed off with another who just agreed to it.

• ad0ad0 Member

@noosVPS said:
    Its rather funny that you are fine with someone's "GTFO with your silliness" comment, but got so pissed off with another who just agreed to it.

ahh? No i did not feel it

@noosVPS said:
    So sorry you think that way. But that is not the case. Our datacenter is Dacentec. You/anyone is free to go ask them if noosvps.com has any servers with them or not, or you can verify this in any other possible way.

So you are not renting?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ad0 said:
    So you are not renting?

Have you finished fighting?

• ad0 said: So you are not renting?

It is based on rent-to-own agreement.

• orakorak Member

To OP; l2english.

• ad0ad0 Member

@orak said:
    To OP; l2english.

I am the OP and yes we already know about the power cost and other costs 5 to 7 is possible if the op build his own servers.

you me to edit the first message?

• orakorak Member

@ad0 said:
    you me to edit the first message?

I'm trying so hard but I can not comprehend what you are trying to say; sorry.

Thanked by 1ad0
  • I don't think you'll be able to sustain even if you made it look like this :)

Thanked by 2ad0 TheLonely
  • @noosVPS said:
    Just so you know, ee got atleast 72GB RAM on servers to host VPS's. Once it is packed, we order next server instead of adding clients into the same server. When we say we dont oversell, we mean it. I do not wish to hijack somebody's thread so let's leave this thread like it is.

Are your server CPUs L56XX Xeons?

• noosVPSnoosVPS Member
    edited August 2014

rchurch said: Are your server CPUs L56XX Xeons?

Xeon L5520 x 2

• @ad0 said:
    A node like this spec is possible for $5 to $7

Great, go ahead and start that company.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited December 2014
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2014

@ad0

What your suggesting is simply not possible for the reasons already stated. I mean I have a few old machines lying around that I was going to colo for something/anything than being wasted.

But I don't mind admitting I near shat myself when I powered up all the boxes with a meter on it, one was drawing 1.8A, the power cost kills it dead.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • @tdale said:
    I don't think you'll be able to sustain even if you made it look like this :)

GVH server?